NEED HELP - bought phone on craigslist INVALID IMEI?? how to fix?

Search This thread

Floods7

Jul 19, 2009
I bought a brand new S3 Unlocked phone off ebay, or so i thought it was brand new. It has the screen protector and everything still on, just like from the factory.

I went to activate it on tmobile and was able to make calls but no interent. After doing a little research and talking to the tmobile support guy i found that the IMIE is invalid and that the phone is rooted. I am quite good with custom ROM's (windows mobile days) and am confident in my ability to root and change the ROM. With that said, what can I do to make this phone work?

This is the info on the device:

Model number i9300
Androiid version 4.1.1
baseband 6577 dual core
baseband version MAUl.11.AMD.W11.50.SP.V12, 2010/09/20 18:56
kernel version 3.0.13 root@liyunpen-desktop#1
Build number AlPS.ICS.MP.V2.6
Custom build version 000120927

IMEI info:
IMEI(slot1) - unknown
IMEI SV(Slot1) -78
IMEI(Slot2) - unknown
IMEI SV(Slot2) -78

Serial number - not available

Now if I go under the battery the info is as follows:
MODEL: GT-i9300
FCC ID: A3LGTi9300A
SSN: -

I spent alot on this I hope its not 500 down the drain

Last edited by a moderator:

xerex.exe

Sep 21, 2010
I bought a brand new S3 Unlocked phone off ebay, or so i thought it was brand new. It has the screen protector and everything still on, just like from the factory.

I went to activate it on tmobile and was able to make calls but no interent. After doing a little research and talking to the tmobile support guy i found that the IMIE is invalid and that the phone is rooted. I am quite good with custom ROM's (windows mobile days) and am confident in my ability to root and change the ROM. With that said, what can I do to make this phone work?

This is the info on the device:

Model number i9300
Androiid version 4.1.1
baseband 6577 dual core
Build number AlPS.ICS.MP.V2.6
Custom build version 000120927

IMEI info:
IMEI(slot1) - unknown
IMEI SV(Slot1) -78
IMEI(Slot2) - unknown
IMEI SV(Slot2) -78

Serial number - not available

Now if I go under the battery the info is as follows:
MODEL: GT-i9300
FCC ID: A3LGTi9300A

I spent alot on this I hope its not 500 down the drain

look under the batery, there is the imei, and change it ...

Last edited by a moderator:

Floods7

Jul 19, 2009
look under the batery, there is the imei, and change it ...

Ok, can you point me in the right direction?

How do I do that?

Also there is other stuff missing such as the serial number. How do I change that?

I would like to just fix this and sell it, can anyone tell me how to put stock ROM back on this phone and set it up so I can sell it?

kofiaa

Aug 27, 2011
Accra
first thing, remove your imei and Mac address etc, you should never post it online

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 07:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 AM ----------

xerex should also edit his quote, your number shows there.

kofiaa

Aug 27, 2011
Accra
Ok i edited it, now what? How do I get everything back to factory settings?

have you tried a factory reset it going back to stock room. Op btw you're in the wrong forum. There is a forum for American models.

The phone looks like a fake to me. For a start the I9300 it's quad-core not dual core, and the information you have taken from phone settings is all wrong.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

American s3

kofiaa

Aug 27, 2011
Accra
These are the American models

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1757755

None of them are GT i9300

i just saw that, it's an maui rom, the seller changed the build prop. Op should report the guy and get a refund.

---------- Post added at 07:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 AM ----------

imei slot one and admit to?! :confused: Op send us some pics of the about device page

Kiahnlliya

Jan 21, 2011

I remember seeing that baseband version, or something similar in a thread about a knockoff phone, but I can't for the life of me find it...

Also that kernel version to me makes it sound very much like you got yourself a Chinese clone...

Floods7

Jul 19, 2009
This is an unlocked model, the tmobile guy said this is international. Do I have to post somewhere else because it is international?

What do you mean fake? it says Samsung on the back cover, it has the Samsung factory screen film still on it, plus under the battery it says Samsung.

What should I do from here? Do you guys need anymore info?

Kiahnlliya

Jan 21, 2011
i just saw that, it's an maui rom, the seller changed the build prop.

Isn't MAUI just some sort of clone thing, whereas MIUI is a legitimate custom ROM?

---------- Post added at 08:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 AM ----------

This is an unlocked model, the tmobile guy said this is international. Do I have to post somewhere else because it is international?

This IS the international forum. You're in the right place.

Please provide us with pics of the phone and screenshots of system info screens and what the operating system looks like!

kofiaa

Aug 27, 2011
Accra

What do you mean fake? it says Samsung on the back cover, it has the Samsung factory screen film still on it, plus under the battery it says Samsung.

you've been ripped off mate. No s3 has 2 SIM slots. The T-Mobile guy probably hasn't handled the int'l model yet or he didn't want to break your heart. And since it said I9300 he didn't look into it.

Www.xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1896199

Isn't MAUI just some sort of clone thing, whereas MIUI is a legitimate custom ROM?

+1 this is what happens when you only use tw

Reactions: buzzdmd

kofiaa

Aug 27, 2011
Accra
This is how an international model looks. And i realized your baseband was 2010...That's impossible.

You have to report the seller and get a refund asap.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1350021902291.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1350021902291.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 918

Floods7

Jul 19, 2009
and I got it on craigslist, not ebay. I am thinking i can sell it on ebay as long as i list it as invalid imei. But I dont even want to go there now. I want to get this fixed

kofiaa

Aug 27, 2011
Accra
You should also cover the serial number, how many SIM slots? It looks very much like a Chinese build with the device info you showed.

---------- Post added at 08:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 AM ----------

You see how the build number is ics, but the android version is 4.1.1

Reactions: Kiahnlliya

Kiahnlliya

Jan 21, 2011
If it's a fake, it's a pretty well done one... I have to say that.

Does it actually have two SIM slots? If it does, then it is fake, case closed.

Of course the device info is just all screwed up... So that part really screams fake...

Can you get into download mode? Turn the phone off, then press volume down and the home button and keep them pressed while you also press the power button until it turns on, then release all buttons.

If you can get into download mode, you could try flashing a stock ROM with Odin, but of course if this is a fake phone, that operation might completely break it. On the other hand if it is a fake, it's pretty much worthless anyway.

I really don't feel very qualified to give you a lot of advice in this matter, and I'm a bit scared of pointing you in the wrong direction.. I know there are many guys here who are great at identifying fakes. I hope more people will find this thread and get you a definitive answer...

Last edited:
Reactions: kofiaa

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

you've been ripped off mate. No s3 has 2 SIM slots. The T-Mobile guy probably hasn't handled the int'l model yet or he didn't want to break your heart. And since it said I9300 he didn't look into it.

Www.xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1896199

+1 this is what happens when you only use tw

You should also cover the serial number, how many SIM slots? It looks very much like a Chinese build with the device info you showed.

---------- Post added at 08:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 AM ----------

You see how the build number is ics, but the android version is 4.1.1

If it's a fake, it's a pretty well done one... I have to say that.

Does it actually have two SIM slots? If it does, then it is fake, case closed.

Of course the device info is just all screwed up... So that part really screams fake...

Can you get into download mode? Turn the phone off, then press volume down and the home button and keep them pressed while you also press the power button until it turns on, then release all buttons.

If you can get into download mode, you could try flashing a stock ROM with Odin, but of course if this is a fake phone, that operation might completely break it. On the other hand if it is a fake, it's pretty much worthless anyway.

I really don't feel very qualified to give you a lot of advice in this matter, and I'm a bit scared of pointing you in the wrong direction.. I know there are many guys here who are great at identifying fakes. I hope more people will find this thread and get you a definitive answer...
    Even the information screen he has posted is all wrong.
    It should be titled 'about device' not 'about phone'
    The next heading should be 'system update'
    Not even close.