[Need Help] Bricked Sony Bravia Android TV (KD-55X8000G)

Search This thread

Kennylyk

Sep 30, 2020
Hi all,

I am having a problem with my Sony Bravia Android TV (Model: KD-55X8000G).
I updated the latest firmware (V6.6555) for Asia Pacific (I am from Singapore). Since then, the TV keep rebooting. So I tried factory reset multiple times but no success. Now the TV is just stuck in the Sony logo without any LED light.

I did some research and found that this symptom means the firmware was corrupted, which eventually led to my TV being bricked.
So how do I proceed in un-bricking it? Is it via the fastboot command via android SDK? How do I solve this rebooting / stuck issue?

Note that my model is out of warranty despite being 2019 model because this was a replacement TV for 800C model and followed the old warranty which expired on Dec.2019.
I checked with my local Sony services and the charges (including replacement of main board) will cost about SGD 600 to 800. So it is not worth the service; I can use this amount to get a new TV.

I find it a pity that the whole TV is redundant due to the main-board / firmware issues; the panel is still in good condition. So I am trying my best to look for solutions without having to seek the costly services from Sony Support.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Sonyledlcdtv

Kennylyk

Sep 30, 2020
Hi, just download the latest firmware and install it (latest is 6.6.575) from here

Thanks for the info but I already did managed to solve the bricked issue with another method.

However, when I updated to 6.6.575. Many issues from the previous firmware still persist. TV will reboot randomly; some apps will crash randomly too.

Any idea to solve this issue?

Kennylyk

Sep 30, 2020
how you solved the brick? I think you didn't solved it right when I read the issues you still have.

This is what I did after researching online:

1) You must first get a flashdrive / thumbdrive which must have minimal storage of 32GB and be formatted to FAT32.

2) Download the latest .pkg file from Sony support for your model.

3) Transfer the .pkg file to your thumbdrive.

4) You attempt a factory reset via power +vol down button. I am pretty sure that you know this method from Sony Support website.

5) If unsuccessful where you encounter the frozen screen, insert your thumbdrive while the TV is powered on.

6) After inserting thumbdrive, power off the TV by removing the power plug.

7) Attempt factory reset with the power + vol. down button again, and just let it run where it will show a white circle (may take up to an hour), this step is actually like a forced firmware update where the TV will factory reset and update from the .pkg file at the same time, hoping that it will re-flash / reformat your firmware properly, but if exceeds an hour, just power off and take out your thumbdrive.

8) Power on your TV again, and after a few minutes, it should be able to proceed to your welcome screen. but note that it will reboot again for second time, so don't enter any information for the first time.

9) For the second welcome screen, just ignore and skip all the settings until you come to the home screen.

10) At home screen, you just go setting and try to find the factory data reset and select that option.

11) After factory reset, just do all the settings shown in the welcome screen.

12) You are good to go.

Kennylyk

Sep 30, 2020
This is what I did after researching online

but do note that I am still having random reboot after upgrading to the latest firmware.

When at previous firmware, I had random reboot, so I did factory reset many time but to no success. Keep factory resetting until it suddenly became bricked.

This explained why I was asking here for advice to solve the brick, but few days later I managed to research and came up with a method in attempt to bypass the bricked / freeze screen which was successful.

but now it is the random reboot which I am unable to figure out.

bn01rnh

Mar 28, 2018
Hi all,

I updated the latest firmware (V6.6555) for Asia Pacific (I am from Singapore). Since then, the TV keep rebooting. So I tried factory reset multiple times but no success. Now the TV is just stuck in the Sony logo without any LED light.

I did some research and found that this symptom means the firmware was corrupted, which eventually led to my TV being bricked.
So how do I proceed in un-bricking it? Is it via the fastboot command via android SDK? How do I solve this rebooting / stuck issue?

Note that my model is out of warranty despite being 2019 model because this was a replacement TV for 800C model and followed the old warranty which expired on Dec.2019.
I checked with my local Sony services and the charges (including replacement of main board) will cost about SGD 600 to 800. So it is not worth the service; I can use this amount to get a new TV.

I find it a pity that the whole TV is redundant due to the main-board / firmware issues; the panel is still in good condition. So I am trying my best to look for solutions without having to seek the costly services from Sony Support.

Thanks in advance!
When is rebooting - you hear the power source relay as well? is shouting down completely and after that he restart?

obonilla43

Sep 16, 2023
This is what I did after researching online:

1) You must first get a flashdrive / thumbdrive which must have minimal storage of 32GB and be formatted to FAT32.

2) Download the latest .pkg file from Sony support for your model.

3) Transfer the .pkg file to your thumbdrive.

4) You attempt a factory reset via power +vol down button. I am pretty sure that you know this method from Sony Support website.

5) If unsuccessful where you encounter the frozen screen, insert your thumbdrive while the TV is powered on.

6) After inserting thumbdrive, power off the TV by removing the power plug.

7) Attempt factory reset with the power + vol. down button again, and just let it run where it will show a white circle (may take up to an hour), this step is actually like a forced firmware update where the TV will factory reset and update from the .pkg file at the same time, hoping that it will re-flash / reformat your firmware properly, but if exceeds an hour, just power off and take out your thumbdrive.

8) Power on your TV again, and after a few minutes, it should be able to proceed to your welcome screen. but note that it will reboot again for second time, so don't enter any information for the first time.

9) For the second welcome screen, just ignore and skip all the settings until you come to the home screen.

10) At home screen, you just go setting and try to find the factory data reset and select that option.

11) After factory reset, just do all the settings shown in the welcome screen.

12) You are good to go.
Good evening,

I have completed all the steps you mentioned, yet the update quits at about half turning a blue led and resetting to The Sony Logo of death. My son says that he flashed a twrp bootloader when it was in fastboot (the sony logo which it took the fastboot signal with the usb cable) once he resetted the present issue is at hand. the model is a 2018 Sony Bravia KD-55x750F us variant. Any advice?

Kennylyk

Sep 30, 2020
Good evening,

I have completed all the steps you mentioned, yet the update quits at about half turning a blue led and resetting to The Sony Logo of death. My son says that he flashed a twrp bootloader when it was in fastboot (the sony logo which it took the fastboot signal with the usb cable) once he resetted the present issue is at hand. the model is a 2018 Sony Bravia KD-55x750F us variant. Any advice?
Hi obonila43,

I am unable to provide any further advice because my steps were based on online research.

Kennylyk

Sep 30, 2020
Note to all.

This issue was in 2020.

I remember that I managed to solve the bricked TV but was having random reboot and app crashes. However, few weeks later , those random reboot and app crashes disappeared after some app updates in the google playstore. So I assumed it was some sort of software incompatibilities / communication issues in the Sony / Android operating system which were solved by the updates.

This thread can be considered closed as my request is solved. Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

Thanks in advance!
    Hi, just download the latest firmware and install it (latest is 6.6.575) from here: https://www.sony-asia.com/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs-android-/kd-55x8000g