need help getting root back after taking OTA

Search This thread

mattbbx

May 17, 2010
Just want to interject, I flashed P, Rooted, then sideloaded X. I lost root when it rebooted. Unsure on what to do from here. Any ideas?

Boot-To-Root img bootloops for me.

dkraines

Jan 30, 2014
FYI, just something to check: I used the 10/29/16 boot to root and got the eternal bouncing balls issue. I didn't know there was a newer version when I sideloaded X. Make sure you are using the "boot to root" with a file date of 11/3/16 (SR3). Once I used that, it only took a few minutes and I was rooted.

Reactions: mr.BeBoT

Scott

Retired Recognized Developer
OK just trying to figure this out. I have flashed the whole image and side loaded the OTA and either way puts me in the bouncing dots...it doesn't boot loop it just hangs on the dots. Could it really take over 15-20 min to boot?

No way.

Just flash the latest image. If your on Verizon that would be X. Dont bother with the OTA's.

Boot it up, enable USB debuging. Then try the newest boot-to-root.

schwem

Oct 15, 2014
Auburn Hills
OK just trying to figure this out. I have flashed the whole image and side loaded the OTA and either way puts me in the bouncing dots...it doesn't boot loop it just hangs on the dots. Could it really take over 15-20 min to boot?
Did you try the newer boot to root from Nov 3rd. That's the one myself and most others that have successfully rooted "x" used. Have you been able to obtain root on "x" yet or did you give up? Just curious.

No way.

Just flash the latest image. If your on Verizon that would be X. Dont bother with the OTA's.

Boot it up, enable USB debuging. Then try the newest boot-to-root.
I had to use the SDK platform you sent that was the only way and it works side loading and flashing the stock image ...I had flashed the whole image and got stuck after rooting so I side loaded the OTA to be able to boot then I rooted with the boot-to-root in the platform tools file and all is well with root again....FINALLY!!!

Reactions: Scott
I had to use the SDK platform you sent that was the only way and it works side loading and flashing the stock image ...I had flashed the whole image and got stuck after rooting so I side loaded the OTA to be able to boot then I rooted with the boot-to-root in the platform tools file and all is well with root again....FINALLY!!!
Thank you to all that helped ....the radio on this is horrible lol

Scott

Good deal! Sadly it makes sense now...

Here is the latest ADB and Fastboot for anyone to use: ADB and Fastboot API 25

Last edited:

Bmillz

Sep 13, 2015
TL;DR this whole thread...
The never ending bouncing balls is caused by the incorrect boot to root. Mame sure youre using the 11/3 version not the 10/31.

Scott

TL;DR this whole thread...
The never ending bouncing balls is caused by the incorrect boot to root. Mame sure youre using the 11/3 version not the 10/31.

Actually it is caused by a couple issues... The most prominent is the fact that people are using old ADB and Fastboot apps. After using the latest ADB / Fastboot that I posted OP had zero issues. However I would encourage the latest boot-to-root.img as well.

-Scott

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Good deal! Sadly it makes sense now...

Here is the latest ADB and Fastboot for anyone to use: ADB and Fastboot API 25
    either slot oculd be the active one.

fastboot --set_actice=_a

to chang to _a slot

Yep, from my learnings... Slot B is the active slot. Slot A is the dormant replica slot.

You should be able to change slots using a command in fast boot...

I forget exactly but encourage you to google it... Its like Set_slot_ZZZ while in fastboot.

Remember all of this is new.. Even to me.

Edit: Sad, I cant even find the article I was looking at that explained slots... Gonna ask someone smarter than me...

Edit 2: I asked @jcase to chime in on the slots. He understands them a lot better than me! (Hopefully he has time to respond!)
    Holy cow, thats not good. I just got the notification this morning about the update, I've tried to make it go away but it wont, I will wait. I have the android toolkit, is this what you are using to flash the device?

Long press the notification and you will have an option to make go away.

Thats what I did until I could install the factory image. I dont believe in sideloading OTA's. Especially when rooted. Had that OTA modded the boot.img you would boot loop until you reload the proper boot image or modded kernel.
    It's trying to write to slot b and apparently that boot image can only be written in slot a ....I went back to P and then rooted and it booted
    FYI, just something to check: I used the 10/29/16 boot to root and got the eternal bouncing balls issue. I didn't know there was a newer version when I sideloaded X. Make sure you are using the "boot to root" with a file date of 11/3/16 (SR3). Once I used that, it only took a few minutes and I was rooted.