Need help getting TiBu info out of old back up

Search This thread

reinbeau

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 14, 2010
South of Boston, MA
Hello XDA, long time no visit. I have had my Note 2 catastrophically fail, can't be recovered, nothing, I was told the motherboard was fried. Upgraded to the Note 4, which I love and am fairly happy with just leaving stock (since I have no choice, it's AT&T's version) but I have an issue. I have data in my old TiBu backups that I really would love to recover, but I can't, because I can't root the phone. Does anyone have a creative way of recovering data from TiBu? Or am I just basically screwed, which is where I think this is headed....any help would be greatly appreciated :)

rootdefyxt320

Oct 4, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hello XDA, long time no visit. I have had my Note 2 catastrophically fail, can't be recovered, nothing, I was told the motherboard was fried. Upgraded to the Note 4, which I love and am fairly happy with just leaving stock (since I have no choice, it's AT&T's version) but I have an issue. I have data in my old TiBu backups that I really would love to recover, but I can't, because I can't root the phone. Does anyone have a creative way of recovering data from TiBu? Or am I just basically screwed, which is where I think this is headed....any help would be greatly appreciated :)

For apps to have some folders in the /data partition require root like TiBu and root is not available for Lollipop. You can try to downgrade to Kitkat from here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD50yW8e-EE&feature=youtu.be and use this method to root: http://forum.xda-developers.com/general/paid-software/supersu-please-t3110954 after rooting with the latest version of kingoroot. Beware that if you downgrade to 4.4.4 it will trigger knox to 0x1 which will invalidate your warranty.

matt4321

Retired Senior Moderator - When red-headed people
Dec 20, 2011
Reading, UK
Could you setup an emulator, install TiBu, restore then gather data.

I've word about Genymotion. Just a thought.

You could also ask someone to restore for you and send the data, but that comes down to trust. Moderators are trustworthy so I'm sure any of us would be happy to do it and send any data without looking into anything of course.

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008

I hate to say it but without root, You know where this is headed. To be honest you will save a ton of time just redoing them.

karandpr

Senior Moderator | Dev Committee Lead & stuff
Staff member
Feb 20, 2011
Partially screwed I say...
All apps don't support the sync adapter for sync data feature.
If you can't sync that data,
what you can do is get a really cheap rootable phone/tablet.
Restore with TiBu
And Sync the data.

Any cheap phone is way better than emulators like Genymotion or AVDs.

For apps which don't use sync adapters ,root permissions are required so it's pointless.