Need help to get bootloader

seskanda

Jun 15, 2014
Hello

How is a bootloader available as a tar.md5 file to flash in Odin? Is it possible to take the bootloader out of a Stock or Rooted ROM? Does it come from the boot.img file in some way ? Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance

seskanda

Jun 15, 2014
Not really, odin is a Samsung only tool.
So you must have a Samsung device.
Wow I had no idea Odin is a Samsung only tool
Yes it is Sprint Galaxy S5, does thread need to be moved now?

I see is any way to know if the bootloader is unlocked? And if not,
then can it be done?

jwoegerbauer

Jul 11, 2009
European Union
If device's Android is rooted a device's bootloader typically gets extracted by means of a Windows CMD script what is simlar to this one

Code:
adb devices
for /F %%a in ('adb shell "su -c 'ls -l /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/boot'"') do (set blk_device=%%a)
adb exec-out "su -c 'dd if=%blk_device% bs=4096'"  > "C:\boot.img"

Last edited:
Reactions: sd_shadow

seskanda

Jun 15, 2014
My Sprint Galaxy S5 is rooted what kind of file does this command output? Is it an IMG file? I'm looking for a TAR.MD5 file, and need it from a firmware/ROM that is not on the phone.

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
My Sprint Galaxy S5 is rooted what kind of file does this command output? Is it an IMG file? I'm looking for a TAR.MD5 file, and need it from a firmware/ROM that is not on the phone.
A tar.md5 should just be a text file for the checksum from the .tar file you are trying to flash?

Last edited:

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
I'm not really sure but let's say you are right I will be needing at least a .tar file of the bootloader from a firmware/ROM
I would look for firmware for your exact model here something like SM-G90xx

jwoegerbauer

Jul 11, 2009
European Union
A tar.md5 should just be a text file for the checksum from the .tar file you are trying to flash?
A TAR.MD5-file ( used by firmware update and kernel flashing applications like Odin and Heimdall for Samsung Android devices ) contains a TAR archive that has been verified with an MD5 checksum; the TAR file contains firmware and other system data, while the .MD5 extension verifies that no data is corrupted.

Reactions: sd_shadow

seskanda

Jun 15, 2014
I would look for firmware for your exact model here something like SM-G90xx
Ok it is SM-G900P w/ Android 4.4.2 NE5 rooted and Knox 0x0. I'd like to upgrade to Android 5.0 OA6 and keep Knox and root.

Yes that is a good explaination of what the TAR.MD5 file is. I'm never able to find a TAR file without MD5 as that verifies it. I've read that to upgrade to Android 5.0 with root and Knox may need a TAR.MD5 of the bootloader for the OA6 firmware. I have OA6 ROM file but no clue how to get bootloader from it.

seskanda

Jun 15, 2014
I do not have a .TAR or .TAR.MD5 file of any bootloader and that command you gave does not work it says "%%a was unexpected at this time" after the second line.

seskanda

Jun 15, 2014
Put the code example shown above into a Windows command file ( .BAT-file ) and it should work.
No, I get 'error: closed' when I run the .bat file as Administrator and it outputs a boot.img file that is 0 bytes in C:\

If ROM comes as .ZIP-file then extract the .ZIP-file with any ZIP software: the boot.img file should be right there at the root of the archive.
Yes the OA6 ROM is a ZIP file that Windows is able to open by itself, and I see a boot.img file in there. But even if this is the boot loader how can it be turned into a .TAR or TAR.MD5 file to flash in Odin?