Need Help Unlocking my Note 20 Utra 5G

Search This thread

akaballer8

Jul 17, 2015
Need help unlocking my Note 20 Ultra 5G. I'm currently on Verizon and would like to flash the unlocked version so I can use Call & Text on other devices.

Also is there an app that will allow unlimited mobile hotspot if rooted.

Please point me to thread that might have already covered this. Thanks

Reactions: evnStevn

evnStevn

Feb 21, 2015
Inverness
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Need help unlocking my Note 20 Ultra 5G. I'm currently on Verizon and would like to flash the unlocked version so I can use Call & Text on other devices.

So you're on a carrier-bound device and want to flash firmware for unlocked device(SM-N986U1)...am I close?

evnStevn

Feb 21, 2015
Inverness
Google Pixel 8 Pro
So you're on a carrier-bound device and want to flash firmware for unlocked device(SM-N986U1)...am I close?
I'm asking because if that's it, flashing the unlocked f/w after doing the data wipe etc. b-4 the flash won't get you there as your sim card will(VZW) will still call the shots. However, if your query is about rooting, or rather unlocking the bootloader on your handset, not certain thats even possible and just a friendly reminder about a voided samsung warranty and a shiny, expensive paper weight(brick) you'll have as a memory to gaze at should anything go sideways for you?! Just trying to clarify a few things and no harm or punking intended.🤓

akaballer8

Jul 17, 2015
Thanks for the info. So call& text won't matter due to my sim, even if I buy an unlocked phone?

Not bragging but I'm not worried about bricking the phone, I can get another.

So to answer my other question, can rooting my phone give me unlimited mobile Hotspot with a rooted app? Its been 7 years since I played with firmware, bootloader, rooting, etc....just wanted to know if its still a thing.

coilbio

Apr 22, 2011
That's a good question, I would search whether it can be done for Verizon first before paying for a bootloader unlock or csc change.

I have tmobile and a fully unlocked phone but they still know when I'm tethering or using mobile data. I know there's apps that used to mask that, I don't really care since tmobile doest care but it still shows up on my usage. Verizon always seems to have everything locked down to the point they block things that are fishy.

Start searching if there's a way to fool them first.

Buck420

Aug 6, 2010
You can create a new apn. copy all the settings over to the new one but add ",dun" to apn type. That enables free unlimited untraceable hotspot. I believe you need an unlocked device to create a new apn though.

evnStevn

Feb 21, 2015
Inverness
Google Pixel 8 Pro
You can create a new apn. copy all the settings over to the new one but add ",dun" to apn type. That enables free unlimited untraceable hotspot. I believe you need an unlocked device to create a new apn though.

Correct, as he originally requested , but such a slippery slope, as no real consequences to root , cuz warranty is good thru 2021( best case scenario). Just possible/applicable trade-in values w/Samsung go South so to speak, imo? Swappa looks the other way, I've heard from other sellers, about ROM tinkering.

evnStevn

Feb 21, 2015
Inverness
Google Pixel 8 Pro

For what it's, last nite due to insomnia & boredom. I followed your instructions to the punctuation ",dun" and I now have successfully created/device accepted apn in my line-up. I saved with just an addition of a + (see screenshots). Whats more, with the mobile hotspot under the apn + , I now have the availability to include the stronger but shorter ranged 5gg mhz wifi signal setting to pair up with other devices set up to share in my hotspot bounty, if they are so chosen, and gain my favor! lol

evnStevn

Feb 21, 2015
Inverness
Google Pixel 8 Pro
For what it's, last nite due to insomnia & boredom. I followed your instructions to the punctuation ",dun" and I now have successfully created/device accepted apn in my line-up. I saved with just an addition of a simple + . Whats more, under my newly created apn namewith the mobile hotspot under the apn name of: T-Mobile US LTE + , I now have the availability to include the stronger but shorter ranged 5g mhz wifi signal setting to pair up with other devices!

Last edited:
Reactions: dj24

Buck420

Aug 6, 2010
Awesome! That's what I'm talking about!! Learning the little things like this that cut through all the bs in life is what I live for.

Reactions: evnStevn

dj24

Jun 23, 2018
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra

Do you know if this will work for my carrier branded U.S T-mobile Note 20 ultra as well? I just got the phone permanently unlocked so I'm wondering if this will apply in my situation. Does it require root as well?

Buck420

Aug 6, 2010
Do you know if this will work for my carrier branded U.S T-mobile Note 20 ultra as well? I just got the phone permanently unlocked so I'm wondering if this will apply in my situation. Does it require root as well?

As long as you can create a new APN it will work. I am not rooted but I did purchase it at full price.

Reactions: dj24 and evnStevn

evnStevn

Feb 21, 2015
Inverness
Google Pixel 8 Pro

In review, if I'm rephrasing your query correctly you own your SM-N986U, $0 owed on it, etc.,and received an unlock code from your carrier...now, you want to root to get the "Full Monty" and unlock the bootloader as well? Close?!😉

dj24

Jun 23, 2018
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
For what it's, last nite due to insomnia & boredom. I followed your instructions to the punctuation ",dun" and I now have successfully created/device accepted apn in my line-up. I saved with just an addition of a + (see screenshots). Whats more, with the mobile hotspot under the apn + , I now have the availability to include the stronger but shorter ranged 5gg mhz wifi signal setting to pair up with other devices set up to share in my hotspot bounty, if they are so chosen, and gain my favor! lol

Hmm. I didn't see your attached screenshots... I got the ",dun" trick to work and I'd like to get my 5ghz going as well.

evnStevn

Feb 21, 2015
Inverness
Google Pixel 8 Pro
In review, if I'm rephrasing your query correctly you own your SM-N986U, $0 owed on it, etc.,and received an unlock code from your carrier...now, you want to root to get the "Full Monty" and unlock the bootloader as well? Close?!😉
Hang on, it's under a thread already set up for exactly what you're doing...a true dog & pony show, ez, post!
Please stand by...🙃

evnStevn

Feb 21, 2015
Inverness
Google Pixel 8 Pro

Here you go, cuz...this thread should hook you up...be sure to use Odin Patched 3b, I'm sure he covers all that, as well as the data wipe b-4 hand , etc...🤓

"[Guide]Odin Upgrading / Flashing-N986U to N986U1 & Vice Versa | XDA Developers Forums" https://xdaforums.com/t/guide-odin-upgrading-flashing-n986u-to-n986u1-vice-versa.4182825/

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

As long as you can create a new APN it will work. I am not rooted but I did purchase it at full price.

For what it's, last nite due to insomnia & boredom. I followed your instructions to the punctuation ",dun" and I now have successfully created/device accepted apn in my line-up. I saved with just an addition of a simple + . Whats more, under my newly created apn namewith the mobile hotspot under the apn name of: T-Mobile US LTE + , I now have the availability to include the stronger but shorter ranged 5g mhz wifi signal setting to pair up with other devices!
    Awesome! That's what I'm talking about!! Learning the little things like this that cut through all the bs in life is what I live for.