Question Need Recommendation for a Backup/Restore App (No Root)

Search This thread

liamR

Feb 14, 2007
Hi All,

Any recommendation for a Backup/Restore App that can transfer the whole apps data (including logins etc)?

Last edited:

KKYASIR

Jul 28, 2012
Abha
looking for same as its take hours to restore , there must be an app like iclod restore which works best to backup and restore

RedWave31

May 9, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
The subject is : Backup APPDATA without root.
- Titanium backup doesn't work
- Swift Backup doesn't work
- Helium Backup & Sync (which was the ONLY app that could do that easily) doesn't work on Android 10+

As far as I know, there isn't any "app" that can do that anymore.

The ONLY reliable way is through ADB, either via a full backup, or app by app using "adb backup -apk -shared -all -f <filepath>/backup.ab"

Reactions: maxq1 and liamR

liamR

Feb 14, 2007
- Helium Backup & Sync (which was the ONLY app that could do that easily) doesn't work on Android 10+

The ONLY reliable way is through ADB, either via a full backup, or app by app using "adb backup -apk -shared -all -f <filepath>/backup.ab"
Thank you very much 👍

tiho5

Jun 21, 2010
Bulgaria

And how do you restore?

RedWave31

May 9, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Why missing Smart Switch by Samsung only?
IMO, it's the worst solution, although it'll always be better than no backup at all.
  • It's not cross-device, so if you lose your phone, you can't switch brands, you have to buy another Samsung
  • The backup files are encrypted, you can't have an emergency restore on any other device
It's still a good choice, but people don't usually know those limitations when making a backup in the first place.
I'd rather have a very good app (with an adb privilege command or something like that) which can be used by anyone, than a proprietary solution (or root. root will never disapoint IMO)

tiho5

Jun 21, 2010
Bulgaria
Then how about Google backup? I have never used (Indeed never using non rooted device) but should backup app +data and across all Android
I would sure like to know if it does indeed backup and restore data also. I've also only used rooted devices and I've never seen anyone report anything about Google backup.

As for Samsung smart switch, it doesn't do data, only app, I remember.

dr.ketan

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
I would sure like to know if it does indeed backup and restore data also. I've also only used rooted devices and I've never seen anyone report anything about Google backup.

As for Samsung smart switch, it doesn't do data, only app, I remember.
Smart switch backup app+data I think
Here what Google backup says

Screenshot_20220221-160029_Google Play services.jpg

tiho5

Jun 21, 2010
Bulgaria
Smart switch backup app+data I think
Here what Google backup says

View attachment 5542703
Recently someone somewhere reported that smart switch didn't restore data. But that might have changed. I wish it did.

As for Google. Yes, I know that say this. But I've never tried and I highly doubt that they do a good job in that regard. But who knows...

Please, someone who has tried them, report here.

Please

RedWave31

May 9, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
As someone who had to used Google Backup to switch to my S21U, I can assure you that APPDATA can't make 24Mb for more than 200 apps. I believe it might save the tiniest amount of appdata, but haven't seen it restore anything (apps were clean on restore)

Samsung Smart switch DOES backup appdata, you can check for it in the backup folder you selected. I didn't fully check for appdata of system apps vs user apps, tho.

Reactions: tiho5

tiho5

Jun 21, 2010
Bulgaria
As someone who had to used Google Backup to switch to my S21U, I can assure you that APPDATA can't make 24Mb for more than 200 apps. I believe it might save the tiniest amount of appdata, but haven't seen it restore anything (apps were clean on restore)

Samsung Smart switch DOES backup appdata, you can check for it in the backup folder you selected. I didn't fully check for appdata of system apps vs user apps, tho.
So Google backup cannot restore data. Only apps.

You mentioned that smart switch will backup data. But did you try to restore it? And does it work?

dr.ketan

You mentioned that smart switch will backup data. But did you try to restore it? And does it work?
I have tried two apps y'day(N20 to S21 with USB backup option) , both restored but one with data other's only app. Yet can't say what exact rule applies. still it seems best way to restore on non rooted device. Probably It can backup from non samsung devices too (including iOS)but it can restore only on samsung if I am not wrong.

Reactions: tiho5

tiho5

Jun 21, 2010
Bulgaria
I have tried two apps y'day(N20 to S21 with USB backup option) , both restored but one with data other's only app. Yet can't say what exact rule applies.
Thank you.
Some of my apps have pages and pages of settings. I'll never use a phone without root for that reason. Backup&restore apps that use root are the only way and are essential...

burnxtc

Jan 7, 2012
Thank you.
Some of my apps have pages and pages of settings. I'll never use a phone without root for that reason. Backup&restore apps that use root are the only way and are essential...
Yep. Testing different OS' with different configurations then snapshotting with Titanium has been my goto for years. Love that workflow.

Reactions: MTranceAvB

dr.ketan

Yep. Testing different OS' with different configurations then snapshotting with Titanium has been my goto for years. Love that workflow.
Titanium is outdated now (I have used for almost a decade), specifically on A12 and it's been nearly 2 yrs, there is no support for splitted apks
Swift BAckup is on top now.

Reactions: burnxtc

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi All,

Any recommendation for a Backup/Restore App that can transfer the whole apps data (including logins etc)?
    if you are rooted, titanium backup is outstanding

I have tried two apps y'day(N20 to S21 with USB backup option) , both restored but one with data other's only app. Yet can't say what exact rule applies.
    Thank you.

I have tried two apps y'day(N20 to S21 with USB backup option) , both restored but one with data other's only app. Yet can't say what exact rule applies. still it seems best way to restore on non rooted device. Probably It can backup from non samsung devices too (including iOS)but it can restore only on samsung if I am not wrong.