• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Need space? Amazon AppStore Unnecessary Storage

Search This thread

Dmw017

Aug 6, 2011
Figured I'd share this...
Considering the Nexus comes with a lame @$$ 16GB of storage for us GSM users, storage will run out quick. Today I was looking to free up some space and noticed the Amazon AppStore logged +880Mb of USB Storage Data so I decided to look into it.
Under /sdcard/Android/data/com.amazon.venezia, any apps downloaded from their stupid appstore will remain there even after you install it, thus taking up unnecessary space in your precious storage. -__-
Feel free to delete them if you're running low on space. The apps are already installed on the device and won't be affected in any way if the cached .apk files are deleted.

Edit: Just deleted the entire 880mb cache folder. All Amazon Appstore-downloaded apps are working 100%.

Dmw017

Aug 6, 2011
I can't imagine why Amazon would think this was a good idea. It doesn't exactly help the AppStore's image.

Last edited:

martonikaj

Nov 20, 2010
Seattle, WA
Considering the Nexus comes with a lame @$$ 16GB of storage for us GSM users, storage will run out quick. Today I was looking to free up some space and noticed the Amazon AppStore logged +880Mb of USB Storage Data so I decided to look into it.
Under /sdcard/Android/data/com.amazon.venezia, any apps downloaded from their stupid appstore will remain there even after you install it, thus taking up unnecessary space in your precious storage. -__-
Feel free to delete them if you're running low on space. The apps are already installed on the device and won't be affected in any way if the cached .apk files are deleted.

Edit: Just deleted the entire 880mb cache folder. All Amazon Appstore-downloaded apps are working 100%.

Thanks. That's weird. I had 805mb in there :eek:

Seems like Amazon is either really bad at housekeeping (not deleting the cached .apk after installing), or its doing it for ease of use so that users can easily re-install apps rather than re-downloading?

neok44

May 19, 2009
Florida
only 150Mb for me, but thank you so much for noticing this. i was wondering why amazon was so damn big.

I think amazon did this because it normally would not be that big of an issue. apps can be installed again instantly, and they'd go on the SD card.

but on a phone with limited storage, especailly with you guys going up to almost 1GB. thats way to much and it needs to be erased.

Dmw017

Aug 6, 2011
I did the clear data just to make sure, and sure enough, the usb storage data remained. Only thing that was cleared was my account off of the app.

Dmw017

Aug 6, 2011
We root and get rid of Amazon Store completely :p

Sent from the MIUI powered E3D

lol id do the same but once in a while the appstore has some good free apps.. like today.. that remote desktop thing.
Looks like it comes down to two things - either reinstall the AppStore every single time a good free app comes in, or clear out the Amazon cache folder on a daily/weekly basis >.> bleh

Reactions: neederishelp

wonshikee

Nov 11, 2011
Do apps have access to a list of other installed apps?

Maybe amazon doesn't have access, so it doesn't know what apps are installed unless they leave it there?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

We root and get rid of Amazon Store completely :p

Sent from the MIUI powered E3D

lol id do the same but once in a while the appstore has some good free apps.. like today.. that remote desktop thing.
    Looks like it comes down to two things - either reinstall the AppStore every single time a good free app comes in, or clear out the Amazon cache folder on a daily/weekly basis >.> bleh
    This https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.diskusage is the best way to monitor what's using your space. One of my indispensable apps.
    thought my device was full of stars...nope, just leftover game data

I would like to see how they are handling this with Kindle Fire with only 8 GB :)

just wanted to throw my number into the mix: i have a 1st gen Kindle Fire (version 6.3.2), my venezia cache was a whopping 2.21GB, and i found a couple other partial downloads from other games saved in my data folder that were not helping matters (it's all Oprah up in there: "YOOUU GET A 300MB! YOUUUU GET A 300MB! EVERYBODY GETS A 300MB!").

seriously though, thank you so much for all the useful information. a search for "internal storage running low kindle fire" led me to this site; loved the n00b video, and - though i failed the spam test the first time around (what kind of animal usually barks? i put "seal"...i thought that would be acceptable but i was sorely mistaken) - i think this is the beginning of a beautiful parasitic relationship. i'm the parasite.

[ETA: oh. sea lion. a sea lion barks. not a seal. i confuse the two more often than i would like to admit. my apologies.]