• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Needing help switching to and updating Fire HD 10 2021 and SD card

Search This thread

Harvupnorth

Dec 4, 2021
Hi! I discovered this site via a YouTube video by ETA Prime. Wow! Who knew??? So glad to find you! I am a veterinarian and love to learn new things.

I recently purchased a new Fire HD 10 2021 and wanted to transfer files, plus an SD card where I stored some apps, from my old Fire 10 (7th generation.) What a nightmare! I could not get the Fire to connect to my PC. After talking at length to 2 techs at Amazon and getting mailed a replacement Fire HD 10, 2021, which still would not connect, I reached a third support person who explained the USB options on the new Fire and how to change them. Now I can connect!

My next problem is that the apps on my SD card are in .asec files. The only option I find to "open with" when I click on one of the links is 'WPS Office for Amazon'. Obviously this is not the appropriate program. Question: Is it possible to download a program to open these files or do I need to install them all over again? I appreciate any help.

Also--wanted to let you know I had already updated to the latest Fire HD 10 software, but the Fire Toolbox still worked for me. YAY!!!!!

Thank you!

Reactions: orb_selektor

orb_selektor

Forum Moderator - Welcomer
Staff member
XDA App Taskforce
Hi! I discovered this site via a YouTube video by ETA Prime. Wow! Who knew??? So glad to find you! I am a veterinarian and love to learn new things.

I recently purchased a new Fire HD 10 2021 and wanted to transfer files, plus an SD card where I stored some apps, from my old Fire 10 (7th generation.) What a nightmare! I could not get the Fire to connect to my PC. After talking at length to 2 techs at Amazon and getting mailed a replacement Fire HD 10, 2021, which still would not connect, I reached a third support person who explained the USB options on the new Fire and how to change them. Now I can connect!

My next problem is that the apps on my SD card are in .asec files. The only option I find to "open with" when I click on one of the links is 'WPS Office for Amazon'. Obviously this is not the appropriate program. Question: Is it possible to download a program to open these files or do I need to install them all over again? I appreciate any help.

Also--wanted to let you know I had already updated to the latest Fire HD 10 software, but the Fire Toolbox still worked for me. YAY!!!!!

Thank you!
Welcome to XDA,
Head to your devices section to find more specific help.
Enjoy your stay

Reactions: Harvupnorth

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thank you!

Thank you!
    Welcome to XDA,
    Enjoy your stay
    Welcome to XDA,
    Enjoy your stay
    Thank you!