Neo Noogie, full backup/restore for Glow2, 3, 4

Search This thread

jun127

Dec 25, 2012
Is there a step-by-step guide for using Neonoogie to create a backup of the Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8 (2019) prior to any modification, and later restoring to factory default software and settings from the backup?

Renate

Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Dev
For the 7.8" it's nnglow4.img.
You can either fastboot flash recovery nnglow4.img or else dd if=nnglow4.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p2
Then reboot recovery
Tell Windows not to format anything!
Now the lowest letter volume in Windows is the entire physical flash of your device.

There are many utilities that can copy from/to there, but I prefer my own sdcard.exe
Code:
C:\>sdcard /r G mybackup.img
If you want to restore (and verify), it's:
Code:
C:\>sdcard /w /v G mybackup.img

jun127

Dec 25, 2012
Just to be clear, this would include the stock recovery, and everything else that could be changed, modified or destroyed?

It looks like fastboot flash recovery nnglow4.img installs the compatible version of NN (nnglow4.img, available from your site) to the recovery, overwriting the stock recovery or TWRP. If so, how would you back up everything including the stock recovery?

Is it possible to create a true, "complete factory default" backup, assuming you ran Neo Noogie (NN) before using the device? Is there anything that isn't included in this method of backup that could potentially be destroyed or modified through things like user action or the OTA update process?

Is there any way to run "nnglow4.img" so that it does not modify the existing state of the device? In other words, after taking a backup, rebooting the device without modifying the drive will cause the Nook to return to normal as if NN had never been ran (not replacing the stock recovery)? Would simply fastboot boot nnglow4.img work for this?

Could you explain the syntax and use case of dd if=nnglow4.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p2?

Lastly, after the backup is taken (or restored), I assume you simply "remove device" and power off, then power on again? I assume if Windows formats (or somehow the mounted drive gets damaged), you're true-bricked without special hardware, access to the inside of the device (is it glued?) and having an existing NN backup to restore to.

Last edited:

Renate

Just to be clear, this would include the stock recovery, and everything else that could be changed, modified or destroyed?
NeoNoogie (like Noogie before it) serves the raw physical device /dev/block/mmcblk0 over UMS. If you sdcard.exe it, you've transferred every bit of memory.
You can't back up the stock recovery if you've flashed over it. The recovery images are in the update.zip if you want the originals.

Would simply fastboot boot nnglow4.img work for this?
Probably.

Could you explain the syntax and use case of dd if=nnglow4.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p2?
That's how you flash a partition in ADB shell instead of fastboot.

I assume if Windows formats (or somehow the mounted drive gets damaged), you're true-bricked without special hardware, access to the inside of the device (is it glued?) and having an existing NN backup to restore to.
An update.zip has a lot of stuff, but not all that's on your device. There is the partitioning, the S/N, the hwcfg, the ntxfw. If you trash that you'll have more work to do.
My imxlink.exe interacts with the ROM bootloader, so you can always get a device unbricked. It might be more trouble and you might need a UART if you really did bad things.

jun127

Dec 25, 2012
I just got my Nook and I'm attempting to use Fastboot to boot Neo Noogie. I can run ADB commands, and I'm able to see the device with adb devices and authorize it. However, when I enter adb reboot fastboot, nothing seems to happen. When I then run fastboot boot nnglow4.img I get < waiting for any device >.

I've tried this one two laptops. In both instances, I used minimal adb and fastboot available here: XDA-thread. On one computer I used the installer, and on the other I used the portable version.

Laptop 1:
  • Used the "minimal adb and fastboot" installer
  • Only USB 3.0 ports
  • Win 10
Laptop 2:
  • Used the "minimal adb and fastboot" portable version
  • Both USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports
  • Win 10

I ran the same commands and received the same error on both computers. Is there an easy solution?

Last edited:

jun127

Dec 25, 2012
Whenever you don't know which direction is up, do:
Code:
C:\>adb devices
C:\>fastboot devices
You may not have the Windows driver for fastboot installed.
You can also look in Device Manager (devmgmt.msc) for lost and homeless devices.
Running both commands shows the device in adb, but not fastboot. BNRV700 shows up in universal serial bus devices, and the driver installed is the WinUSB device driver. I've also installed Android Studio and added Google's USB device driver through the SDK manager, however driver update does not detect it as a compatible driver for BNRV700 (WinUSB ADB device) under "universal serial bus devices", or Nook (E:/ when mass storage is disabled) which uses the WPD FileSytem Volume driver under "portable devices".

Update: Solved.

The solution was to install the google driver using adb installer here: xiaomi tools
Then, I was able to adb reboot fastboot, at which point the device appeared in the device manager under the proper location, "Android devices" with the Google's "Android ADB Interface" driver.

Code:
F:\>adb devices
List of devices attached
0000000000000000        device

F:\>adb reboot fastboot

F:\>fastboot devices
0000000000000000        fastboot

F:\adb>

Update2: I was not prepared for that level of terrifying prompts. Windows added about 8 inaccessible "USB drives", each one opening a window's explorer and a prompt alert saying innaccessible. Each one opened a format prompt, and Kaspersky antivirus started scanning each drive repeatedly, opening over 30-40 prompts. It was a desktop DDOS of alert prompts and drive scans with "format device" bombs randomly between them. Windows won't even let you right click and close all, because it's waiting for user input for each alert message.

I was able to initially close all the prompts as carefully as I could (the kaspersky ones needed to stop each scan individually), and I started the backup with the lowest drive letter, which in my case was E. I walked away from the computer at about 5% and when I came back, it had failed at 30% with an error reading SD card message. I tried running it again but this time it failed at 3% and the device started disconnecting and reconnecting rapidly, each time opening dozens of prompts which would redirect user input. I had no choice but to unplug the nook and hold power until it restarted.

I'd like to try again, but there must be something that can be done to mitigate the danger of Windows trying to nuke the device. It's insane Windows still doesn't have an option to disable this behavior. Maybe turning off autoplay (start >> autoplay settings >> off) would help?

Last edited:

jun127

Dec 25, 2012
I made another attempt at backing up with nnimage4.img, this time turning off autostart to stop so many popups. I was able to run the backup, which reached 100% and completed without issues. The backup image size is 7.26gb. But now the nook isn't starting. It's stuck on the animated loading screen, should I just let it run? It doesn't make a lot of sense as I definitely didn't hit format on any of the partitions. I haven't rooted the device yet. I still have adb access and I can reboot into recovery. Rebooting the bootloader just ends up on the loading screen forever. I have TWRP installed.

Last edited:

Renate

Hmm, I certainly hope that you didn't let Windows format anything.
Did you have ADB on before you started? Is it still there?
The boot animation running just means that Android doesn't have a home app to run.
The underlying Linux may still be 100% happy.

If you have ADB working, just install any kind of launcher and see if that works.

Reactions: Kramar111

jun127

Dec 25, 2012
Hmm, I certainly hope that you didn't let Windows format anything.
Did you have ADB on before you started? Is it still there?
The boot animation running just means that Android doesn't have a home app to run.
The underlying Linux may still be 100% happy.

If you have ADB working, just install any kind of launcher and see if that works.
After I restored from a TWRP backup I was able to boot into the Nook again. I did previously install several launchers and never set a default launcher (I just selected the one I wanted to test at the moment, as I was trying to find a workable solution to wallpapers). It doesn't seem like it should prevent it from booting, but it seems plausible that installing multiple launchers could cause problems if it doesn't know which launcher to start. If that's the case, maybe it doesn't have anything to do with neo noogie and it was a coincidence, as I'm not sure if I tried rebooting after installing launchers. That's easy to test though and I might try it again later now that I know it's easy to recover from. Also, if that was the issue, it seems that uninstalling all the launchers with adb, asides from the original, could be a viable recovery option if it happens again.

After running the nnglow4.img backup I ran "adb reboot bootloader". After it rebooted into the loading screen to nowhere, I did an "adb reboot recovery" and then tried booting from twrp, which also didn't work. Ultimately I decided to restore from twrp backup, as I hadn't made too many changes. Oddly, TWRP gave a failed status, although it seemed to work anyway.

Attachments

• 523.JPG
    523.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Renate

I believe that Windows still asks you HOW you want to format if you did say "yes", so I don't think that you did it without noticing.
NeoNoogie doesn't touch the flash itself, it just offers it on a platter to your desktop.
Of course, your desktop can do anything it wants to it.

jun127

Dec 25, 2012
I believe that Windows still asks you HOW you want to format if you did say "yes", so I don't think that you did it without noticing.
NeoNoogie doesn't touch the flash itself, it just offers it on a platter to your desktop.
Yeah, I also tried turning off kaskpersky this time, but apparently Kaspersky doesn't listen because it started "scanning for viruses" on the removable disks anyway. That's one of the things I was afraid of, as who knows what is involved in checking disks. I tried to cancel all the scan attempts I could, but one of them did say "no virus found, 1 file scanned" presumably meaning it finished scanning one of the smaller partitions somehow before I could cancel it.

jun127

Dec 25, 2012
Well, things took a disasterous turn for the worse. I found that the reason it wasn't booting was the loading animation and the "choose which launcher" popup have a conflict, and it just keeps loading until the Nook launcher is loaded, which... never happens. I found another post which said to rename the loading animation from loading animation to loadinganimation.bak, and that worked to bypass the loading screen once.

However, I kept getting "adb device offline" errors every time I tried to push install an app (it would reconnect when I unplugged and plugged it back in), so I tried restarting the device again and this time it went straight into a stock recovery bootloop. Apparently, when I restored from twrp backup, I restored the factory recovery as well and when twrp prompted to install when rebooting, it didn't actually install.

So, I'm in a stock recovery boot loop without adb connectivity. I eventually tried "resetting to factory defaults" because I forgot you also made imxlink.exe (thank god). After factory reset, I got to the sign-in screen and then when you tried logging in it says "uh oh, we're having trouble setting up your nook. Please shutdown the device and try again. .... D-AD8211".

Update 1: I was able to use imxlink.exe to get into fastboot (home button + power button) and boot into twrp and now it's connected to adb. Now I need to transfer my twrp backup and hope that works. The factory reset nuked my TWRP backup, but I think I saved it somewhere (need to copy it back to the device)

Update 2: I'm still getting the adb push errors. Device goes offline whenever I try pushing something.

Code:
F:\adb>adb push TWRP /sdcard/
adb: error: failed to read copy response3304/2022-09-28--01-06-58_KOT49H/boot.emmc.win: 100%
adb: error: failed to read copy response

Update 3: Looks like the adb push errors were on the laptop end. Restarting my computer resolved the error and I was able to push my backup back to the device.

Update 4: restoring the backup failed almost immediately with a "formatting device using make_ext4fs... Unable to wipe device." error.

Update 5: I was only able to restore the backup by going to settings > use rm -rf instead of formatting. I'm not sure why this is, hopefully this isn't due to somehow messing up partitions earlier.

Update 6: I installed ap15 launcher and set it to always load. The Nook app is somewhat different from Nook home it seems. Oh well... This allows the Nook to not hang on boot at least.

Last edited:

Renate

There was some silliness how B&N hacked the bootanimation.
Normally there is a property set that causes the bootanimation to stop.
On more modern devices it's service.bootanim.exit
$ getprop|grep boot.*exit
B&N did some silliness with using their own properties.

I think in some versions of the Glow I had to patch the bootanimation binary to use the right property.
Eventually that got resolved?

jun127

Dec 25, 2012
There was some silliness how B&N hacked the bootanimation.
Normally there is a property set that causes the bootanimation to stop.
On more modern devices it's service.bootanim.exit
$ getprop|grep boot.*exit
B&N did some silliness with using their own properties.

I think in some versions of the Glow I had to patch the bootanimation binary to use the right property.
Eventually that got resolved?
I'm on the latest firmware from B&N, so it looks like they never fixed it. Maybe they don't consider it a problem, just like they determined to take away the ability to set your own screensaver/background. You would think B&N would be less hostile considering the longevity and reputation of the NST is almost entirely due to aftermarket development.

My Nook now works fine for now with a default launcher set, although I haven't been able to find a launcher that isn't buggy. ap15 is the nicest text-based launcher I've found so far. The first time I restarted, it was just a black screen because the font color reverted to black, the same as the background color and the menus to change the font color were also unreadable. I've also tried Nova launcher, ADW launcher, KK launcher, RelaunchX, Zeam Launcher, and a couple others. Zeam is the only launcher that actually displays a background, but the background is just the screensaver with "press U to unlock".

Would you mind uploading your patched boot animation? Would be curious to try it.

Last edited:

Renate

Hmm, well, I don't know.
Apparently there were only two versions of bootanimation
Code:
Old version x-45 MD5 = 02e9bf1c37f118073ac564514075324d
New version x-47 MD5 = 5b480ed4280bb271f734f71386ffd2ef
Both are 21,776 bytes
I don't see any patched version over here.

I run custom launchers and I don't seem to be doing anything special.

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
I'm on the latest firmware from B&N, so it looks like they never fixed it. Maybe they don't consider it a problem, just like they determined to take away the ability to set your own screensaver/background. You would think B&N would be less hostile considering the longevity and reputation of the NST is almost entirely due to aftermarket development.

My Nook now works fine for now with a default launcher set, although I haven't been able to find a launcher that isn't buggy. ap15 is the nicest text-based launcher I've found so far.
Have you tried this: https://bitbucket.org/dsimbiriatin/simple-ink-launcher/wiki/Home

That's the launcher that comes with the custom firmware for the Glow series.

jun127

Dec 25, 2012
Hmm, well, I don't know.
Apparently there were only two versions of bootanimation
Code:
Old version x-45 MD5 = 02e9bf1c37f118073ac564514075324d
New version x-47 MD5 = 5b480ed4280bb271f734f71386ffd2ef
Both are 21,776 bytes
I don't see any patched version over here.

I run custom launchers and I don't seem to be doing anything special.
Interesting, I'll check the MD5 of the one I have later.
Have you tried this: https://bitbucket.org/dsimbiriatin/simple-ink-launcher/wiki/Home

That's the launcher that comes with the custom firmware for the Glow series.
I saw that but haven't tried it yet. It looks pretty solid, the only thing is the GLP7.8 is so big, the icons would be huge if it's scaled (but maybe it isn't?). I'll try it out.

AP15 is the most feature-poor and incompatible I've tried, but the desktop is simple and functional so that's why I settled on it temporarily. The apps you run most often are largest and I'm mostly interested in KOReader at this point so it essentially just turns the launcher into a giant link to whatever you use the most. It's a pretty good concept for an ereader launcher, it's a shame the compatibility isn't great though.
NookGlowlightPlus7.8.jpg

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Noogie was the image to put on the NST so that you could backup or restore the entire internal memory.
    It was usually put on the removable SD card.
    In fact, it could have been just booted directly through fastboot.
    Later, people worked on and succeeded on a way to boot up the NST without any valid internal memory at all.
    This made the NST unbrickable.

Neo Noogie is pretty much the same, but updated for the Glow2 & Glow3.
    Since these models don't have a removable SD card they need to be able to boot over fastboot.
    This means that if you totally wipe out the memory on your Nook (including where fastboot is) you'll be bricked.
    (That is, until we get working on a USB bootloader method.) We do have a bootloader, see https://forum.xda-developers.com/nook-touch/general/fix-bricked-glow2-3-4-t4002911

Warning: Windows will offer to format anything it doesn't understand! Do not format!
    Code:
    C:\>adb reboot fastboot
    C:\>fastboot boot nnglow2.img

<use your favorite utility to copy to/from the disk that appears>

C:\>adb reboot
    Update
    New versions as of 2019-12-18, nnglow2.img, nnglow3.img, nnglow4.img
    Download through the signature
    I put new versions of the images in the first post's attachments.
    The simple change was just to omit the read-only flag for the internal SD card.

I did a bunch of cleanup that you will probably not notice unless you use the shell.

Rant
    Ever see that "__bionic_open_tzdata: couldn't find any tzdata" when running TWRP or other images?
    The libc.so wants to get its hands on information about timezones.
    Sometimes it's missing and then you get three lines of that gobble-dee-gook error message every time you use any command.
    The simple solution is to park the tzdata somewhere (and patch libc.so with the hard-coded path).
    All this just to say, "Ok, just use UTC and don't give me the stupid error messages continuously"?
    Well, it's stupider. The full tzdata is 0.5 Megs.
    Why? So we can have timezones for every podunk village on the globe (576 timezones).
    I'm using a modified version of tzdata that includes only UTC and is 194 bytes.
    NeoNoogie (like Noogie before it) serves the raw physical device /dev/block/mmcblk0 over UMS. If you sdcard.exe it, you've transferred every bit of memory.
    You can't back up the stock recovery if you've flashed over it. The recovery images are in the update.zip if you want the originals.

Would simply fastboot boot nnglow4.img work for this?
    Probably.

That's how you flash a partition in ADB shell instead of fastboot.

I assume if Windows formats (or somehow the mounted drive gets damaged), you're true-bricked without special hardware, access to the inside of the device (is it glued?) and having an existing NN backup to restore to.
    An update.zip has a lot of stuff, but not all that's on your device. There is the partitioning, the S/N, the hwcfg, the ntxfw. If you trash that you'll have more work to do.
    My imxlink.exe interacts with the ROM bootloader, so you can always get a device unbricked. It might be more trouble and you might need a UART if you really did bad things.
    For the 7.8" it's nnglow4.img.
    You can either fastboot flash recovery nnglow4.img or else dd if=nnglow4.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p2
    Then reboot recovery
    Tell Windows not to format anything!
    Now the lowest letter volume in Windows is the entire physical flash of your device.

There are many utilities that can copy from/to there, but I prefer my own sdcard.exe
    Code:
    C:\>sdcard /r G mybackup.img
    If you want to restore (and verify), it's:
    Code:
    C:\>sdcard /w /v G mybackup.img
    Then do you know of a customer rom or how to root the device?
    Well, there's a million ways to root it, but since you're on this thread, we can do it this way.
    Code:
    C:\>adb reboot fastboot
    C:\>fastboot devices
    1234567812345678  fastboot
    C:\>fastboot boot nnglow2.img [color=red]nnglow2 for Glowlight Plus[/color]
    C:\>adb shell
    # echo /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 > /sys/devices/platform/fsl-usb2-udc/gadget/lun0/file
    # cat /sys/devices/platform/fsl-usb2-udc/gadget/lun0/file [color=red]this is just a check to make sure that it worked[/color]
    /dev/block/mmcblk0p1
    # ^D
    C:\>sdcard /r G p1.img [color=red]might not be G, use File Explorer and see what letter it is[/color]
    SD card G, disk #3, 6,258,688 bytes, 512 sector size
    C:\p1.img, 0 bytes
    Copy SD card G to image (Y or N)? y
    Copying SD card G to C:\p1.img
    100%
    Finished
    C:\>imgutil /x p1.img default.prop
    [color=red]Use a real text editor (not Notepad!) to change ro.secure=0 and ro.debuggable=1[/color]
    C:\>imgutil /r p1.img default.prop
    C:\>sdcard /w G p1.img [color=red]we're writing now, make sure everything was correct![/color]
    SD card G, disk #3, 6,258,688 bytes, 512 sector size [color=red]make sure that this number is exactly the same as the first time![/color]
    C:\p1.img, 4,421,632 bytes [color=red]this number will be somewhere around this, less than the 6.2M[/color]
    Copy image to SD card (Y or N)? y
    Copying C:\p1.img to SD card G
    100%
    Finished
    C:\>adb reboot
    sdcard.exe and imgutil.exe are in the signature, nnglow2.img is in the first post of this thread.