Nest Hub with Fuchsia - USB Ethernet Bug/Regression

Search This thread

pmeister

Dec 8, 2020
I have a Nest Hub with Fuchsia with a USB to Ethernet adapter attached. Ethernet in this build is only partially functional, and Wi-Fi is required for the normal functionality to be available.
Ethernet worked properly prior to the Fuchsia update, this is a regression.

I would like either a) a resolution to this issue or b) a way to block updates on my other Nest Hubs (since Fuchsia will go to everyone eventually).

Version Information:

Broken (Fuchsia):
Software Version 35.33.26.373615990 "build_info":{"build_type":2,"cast_build_revision":"1.52.256192","cast_control_version":1,"preview_channel_state":1,"release_track":"preview-stable-channel","system_build_number":"1.20210119.2.1406"}

Working (Cast OS):
Software Version 35.32.12.358248230 "build_info":{"build_type":2,"cast_build_revision":"1.52.241809","cast_control_version":1,"preview_channel_state":0,"release_track":"stable-channel","system_build_number":"241809"}

Google Home Android app version: 2.38.1.7

More Details:

As many here know, the Nest Hub smart display has a Micro-USB connector under the bottom plate. This connector can be used with certain USB to Ethernet adapters (and a Y-cable for power if needed) to connect the Nest Hub to an Ethernet network.

With the regular Cast OS (*pre-Fuchsia*), the adapters work very well. The Nest Hub recognizes that it is connected to Ethernet, and is not required to be connected to a Wi-Fi network during Setup. All functions just work.

I enrolled a Nest Hub that was working on Ethernet into the Preview program. The Nest Hub was upgraded to Fuchsia.

If you want to try it: The selection of Ethernet adapters is reduced from Cast OS.
  • Asix AX8877C and Asix AX88179 work as described in the following section. (AX8877B should also work.)
  • AX8877A does *not* work (which did previously with Cast OS).
  • As with the previous Cast OS (not a regression), Realtek 8152s do *not* work including the Google EA4CC-1A, even though the Fuchsia source tree lists usb-cdc-ecm.

The following works with Ethernet only (Wi-Fi not connected to AP):
  • DHCP
  • DNS (but, DNS query responses to the Nest Hub often get ICMP Port Unreachable as a reply from the Nest Hub.)
  • Inbound and outbound TCP connections, including to the Internet
  • Built-in webserver
  • Casting - Yes, even while the Setup screen is showing on the device, you can cast to it over Ethernet, remotely control volume, etc.

Simultaneous Wi-Fi and Ethernet functions - the Fuchsia Nest Hub will pull an IP on each interface and respond to both. But the Cast OS Nest Hub would not even attempt to connect to Wi-Fi if Ethernet was detected, and that is the behavior I want.

The following does not work with Ethernet only (Wi-Fi not connected to AP):
  • net.ethernet_connected in eureka_info is false (even though I queried eureka_info through Ethernet!)
  • net.online in eureka_info is false (even though I can make it connect to Internet radio stations through Ethernet)
  • Setup via Google Home app insists on Wi-Fi and will not let you skip
  • Smart Display shows Setup Screen (the Wi-Fi animation + "Follow the Instructions in your Google Home App")
  • Google Assistant - if you talk to it, you get a voice response complaining that it can't find the Wi-Fi network
Removing the Wi-Fi information after Setup does not solve the problem. However, this does provide an easy way to force the device into an Ethernet-only state for testing.

Factory reset does not solve the problem either.

Fla_75

Nov 11, 2022
I have a Nest Hub with Fuchsia with a USB to Ethernet adapter attached. Ethernet in this build is only partially functional, and Wi-Fi is required for the normal functionality to be available.
Ethernet worked properly prior to the Fuchsia update, this is a regression.

I would like either a) a resolution to this issue or b) a way to block updates on my other Nest Hubs (since Fuchsia will go to everyone eventually).

Version Information:

Broken (Fuchsia):
Software Version 35.33.26.373615990 "build_info":{"build_type":2,"cast_build_revision":"1.52.256192","cast_control_version":1,"preview_channel_state":1,"release_track":"preview-stable-channel","system_build_number":"1.20210119.2.1406"}

Working (Cast OS):
Software Version 35.32.12.358248230 "build_info":{"build_type":2,"cast_build_revision":"1.52.241809","cast_control_version":1,"preview_channel_state":0,"release_track":"stable-channel","system_build_number":"241809"}

Google Home Android app version: 2.38.1.7

More Details:

As many here know, the Nest Hub smart display has a Micro-USB connector under the bottom plate. This connector can be used with certain USB to Ethernet adapters (and a Y-cable for power if needed) to connect the Nest Hub to an Ethernet network.

With the regular Cast OS (*pre-Fuchsia*), the adapters work very well. The Nest Hub recognizes that it is connected to Ethernet, and is not required to be connected to a Wi-Fi network during Setup. All functions just work.

I enrolled a Nest Hub that was working on Ethernet into the Preview program. The Nest Hub was upgraded to Fuchsia.

If you want to try it: The selection of Ethernet adapters is reduced from Cast OS.
  • Asix AX8877C and Asix AX88179 work as described in the following section. (AX8877B should also work.)
  • AX8877A does *not* work (which did previously with Cast OS).
  • As with the previous Cast OS (not a regression), Realtek 8152s do *not* work including the Google EA4CC-1A, even though the Fuchsia source tree lists usb-cdc-ecm.

The following works with Ethernet only (Wi-Fi not connected to AP):
  • DHCP
  • DNS (but, DNS query responses to the Nest Hub often get ICMP Port Unreachable as a reply from the Nest Hub.)
  • Inbound and outbound TCP connections, including to the Internet
  • Built-in webserver
  • Casting - Yes, even while the Setup screen is showing on the device, you can cast to it over Ethernet, remotely control volume, etc.

Simultaneous Wi-Fi and Ethernet functions - the Fuchsia Nest Hub will pull an IP on each interface and respond to both. But the Cast OS Nest Hub would not even attempt to connect to Wi-Fi if Ethernet was detected, and that is the behavior I want.

The following does not work with Ethernet only (Wi-Fi not connected to AP):
  • net.ethernet_connected in eureka_info is false (even though I queried eureka_info through Ethernet!)
  • net.online in eureka_info is false (even though I can make it connect to Internet radio stations through Ethernet)
  • Setup via Google Home app insists on Wi-Fi and will not let you skip
  • Smart Display shows Setup Screen (the Wi-Fi animation + "Follow the Instructions in your Google Home App")
  • Google Assistant - if you talk to it, you get a voice response complaining that it can't find the Wi-Fi network
Removing the Wi-Fi information after Setup does not solve the problem. However, this does provide an easy way to force the device into an Ethernet-only state for testing.

Factory reset does not solve the problem either.
Hi Pmeister,

did you solve?

Ethernet connection does not work on my Hub Max (Fuchsia), wifi connection is ok.

Thanks!