• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Netflix and other apps not working over home WIFI?

Search This thread

mclain1

Aug 17, 2010
Hello Ladies and Gents...
I have both a Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL. Both phones are experiencing the same problem. At my home wifi, I'm not able to login to login to my work office 365 emails, and login netflix. Both apps work just fine over LTE and using work Wifi. I have other android and Apple devices that work just fine at home doing these simple tasks. I have a netgear R9000 router and Netgear Orbi mesh network. I've tried both 2.4 and 5Ghz bans and even tried different encryptions (WPA and WPA2). I've also tried creating separate wifi networks from each wifi and mesh devices. One of the phones i tried doing a factory reset and that didnt work. It still has the same issues. I'm at a loss at this point as it seems ive tried everything short of doing a hard reset on the phones.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

mclain1

Aug 17, 2010
Hey guys, just wanted to post an update.
I was able to figure out a fix to this problem affecting me. Hopefully this will help others with similar problem. Rather then posting on multiple threads i will post my findings here as it looks to be affecting multiple users.

Here are some of the post i've found concerning this issue.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/pixel-3-xl/help/strange-issue-using-wifi-pixel-3-apps-t3857059
https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixe...yone_else_having_issues_loading_certain_apps/

From my extensive troubleshooting I've done, this wifi\app connectivity issues lead me to find the culprit as being the modified MTU settings on my router. I have yet to find the reasoning as to why the Pixel 3\XL or Android Pie in general are more sensitive to packet fragmentation. My other PCs, android (8) and Apple devices had absolutely no issues with in my mesh network. Keep in mind that MTU settings can be Internet provider specific. You will need to find the optimal setting for your home network. Mine on Spectrum Cable has a default 1500. I've made modifications for gaming to assist in bufferbloating which in turn caused issues with my Pixel 3 phones. Once i reverted back to the default MTU setting, all 3rd party apps began working again. No more Netflix login issues, or office 365 Webmail issues, or not being able to access encrypted sites. All working again. We are back loving our Pixel 3's again.

I hope this helps you all. Good luck.!

Reactions: mazerob and HSOC

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys, just wanted to post an update.
    I was able to figure out a fix to this problem affecting me. Hopefully this will help others with similar problem. Rather then posting on multiple threads i will post my findings here as it looks to be affecting multiple users.

Here are some of the post i've found concerning this issue.
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/pixel-3-xl/help/strange-issue-using-wifi-pixel-3-apps-t3857059
    https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixe...yone_else_having_issues_loading_certain_apps/

From my extensive troubleshooting I've done, this wifi\app connectivity issues lead me to find the culprit as being the modified MTU settings on my router. I have yet to find the reasoning as to why the Pixel 3\XL or Android Pie in general are more sensitive to packet fragmentation. My other PCs, android (8) and Apple devices had absolutely no issues with in my mesh network. Keep in mind that MTU settings can be Internet provider specific. You will need to find the optimal setting for your home network. Mine on Spectrum Cable has a default 1500. I've made modifications for gaming to assist in bufferbloating which in turn caused issues with my Pixel 3 phones. Once i reverted back to the default MTU setting, all 3rd party apps began working again. No more Netflix login issues, or office 365 Webmail issues, or not being able to access encrypted sites. All working again. We are back loving our Pixel 3's again.

I hope this helps you all. Good luck.!