Netflix and other streaming apps ?

Search This thread

funziebear

Mar 28, 2011
cali
So I got my phone yesterday and installed all the stuff I usually use , question is why does Netflix and other streaming apps look horrible on this phone ? Is it because of the screen ? I was using an old iPhone 6 as a temp while I waited for this and video looked so much nicer on that screen even on 480p. Anyone else think the playback on this is bad or is it just me ? I did have a note 8 but I sold it to try this phone, wanted to try something new. I know lcd and amoled are on each device but I don't think it should be that bad of a difference if I think an iPhone 6 looks better , any thoughts ? What's your experience with this coming from another phone flagship or not ? :good:

This is over data and wifi and both have decent speeds for netflixing or even YouTube IMO

Two different apns for T-Mobile in s.california

Edit also binge is off on my account

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-05-11-06-18-27-763_org.zwanoo.android.speedtest.png
    Screenshot_2018-05-11-06-18-27-763_org.zwanoo.android.speedtest.png
    94.3 KB · Views: 1,402
Last edited:

MI1990

May 11, 2018
Hi,
im thinking to buy this phone , can you explain what do you mean that looks bad ? can you take a photo of the "issue" with another phone ?

thanks

initialdwiko

Oct 15, 2013
I think I just found the problem to this. Correct me if I am wrong.
I believe there seems to be the same problem with mix 2. There is a licensing called widevine L3. And it only let's the device play on SD quality. Not HD. so... I think we are in a bit of a dilemma.

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app

Reactions: Bonito77

funziebear

Mar 28, 2011
cali
Hi,
im thinking to buy this phone , can you explain what do you mean that looks bad ? can you take a photo of the "issue" with another phone ?

thanks

From what I'm reading Netflix isn't a app fault it's a phone thing it won't play anything pass 480p because of drmservices , I fixed YouTube with a moded version set it to 1080 on default I'm looking for a Netflix fix but I doubt will get one

MI1990

May 11, 2018
can other people confirm that issue ?

is very disappointing in case , would be good to know if will be present in mi mix 2s global version as well.

malimukk

Aug 20, 2012
I just checked with DRM info app. The device supports only widevine level 3. But level 1 is required for netflix in hd,unfortunately.
It is just a matter of software (free of any licencing fees), though, we might ask xiaomi to implenent it..

funziebear

Mar 28, 2011
cali
I did send suggestion thru their feedback section I think we should all do it maybe they'll actually do something about it

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-05-11-15-08-04-093_com.miui.bugreport.png
    Screenshot_2018-05-11-15-08-04-093_com.miui.bugreport.png
    115.6 KB · Views: 901

TheInfiniteAndroid

Aug 4, 2016
I did send suggestion thru their feedback section I think we should all do it maybe they'll actually do something about it
You would have been better going a bit more in-depth, asking them specifically to add Widevine Level 1, to enable HD streaming

---------- Post added at 11:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 PM ----------

Also, has anyone with the Android P Beta checked the DRM info to see if Widevine L1 has been added?, If not can someone check please, thanks :good:

funziebear

Mar 28, 2011
cali
You would have been better going a bit more in-depth, asking them specifically to add Widevine Level 1, to enable HD streaming

---------- Post added at 11:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 PM ----------

Also, has anyone with the Android P Beta checked the DRM info to see if Widevine L1 has been added?, If not can someone check please, thanks :good:
I did I told them about drm and how Netflix has a link to devices that are compatible with hd playback , the video playback on this is bugging me almost makes me want to go back to something else hahaha

TheInfiniteAndroid

Aug 4, 2016
Chinese , did the older mix phones have this issue on global roms ? I'll wait for that if it doesn't make things better I'll just sell this and get something else I use my phone for everything and ****ty video quality will bug me hahaha
I believe all Mi Mix iterations have the issue, regardless of the ROM. BUT!, Widevine is owned or whatever by Google, so with Google giving the Mix 2s the Android P Dev Previews, I wonder if they would have included the L1 DRM for HD streaming

funziebear

Mar 28, 2011
cali
I believe all Mi Mix iterations have the issue, regardless of the ROM. BUT!, Widevine is owned or whatever by Google, so with Google giving the Mix 2s the Android P Dev Previews, I wonder if they would have included the L1 DRM for HD streaming

Wish I would have known video playback sucked on this I would have waited hahahaha or gotten something else I was just trying to avoid a notched screen. Oh well trial and error hahaha

TheInfiniteAndroid

Aug 4, 2016
Wish I would have known video playback sucked on this I would have waited hahahaha or gotten something else I was just trying to avoid a notched screen. Oh well trial and error hahaha
I believe the only "big" streaming services that are affected are Netflix and Amazon Prime, other playback should be HD... I think lol. Hopefully someone can confirm whether or not L1 is in the Dev Preview so we know what to expect

MI1990

May 11, 2018
I believe the only "big" streaming services that are affected are Netflix and Amazon Prime, other playback should be HD... I think lol. Hopefully someone can confirm whether or not L1 is in the Dev Preview so we know what to expect

It's an absolute disaster from Xiaomi , i was near to buy the phone , i think they just lost a customer (unless global will have everything fixed but i don't think so)

i'm embarrassed for them , mi mix 2 and 2s are supposed to be flasgship

malimukk

Aug 20, 2012
It's an absolute disaster from Xiaomi , i was near to buy the phone , i think they just lost a customer (unless global will have everything fixed but i don't think so)

i'm embarrassed for them , mi mix 2 and 2s are supposed to be flasgship

Its the same with oneplus.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I think I just found the problem to this. Correct me if I am wrong.
    I believe there seems to be the same problem with mix 2. There is a licensing called widevine L3. And it only let's the device play on SD quality. Not HD. so... I think we are in a bit of a dilemma.

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app
    Seems to work!

Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk

i uploaded the file apk of netflix modified.

https://mega.nz/#!CxV3HQrY!jFDh-w0UyGa9FtBGpNGER7pDjCDMea38AEd0lWTXch4

Tested on my Nubia z7 MAX with Snapdragon 801 works the HD and i can also download offline. (if download offline doesn't appear , try to reinstall the apk)

Nubia Z7 MAX has L3 Security widevine like MI MIX 2 and MI MIX 2S so should work on them as well (one guy already confirmed that works.)

credits: Aie Massfiria on this comments section https://www.cnx-software.com/2016/1...any-android-device-with-widevine-level-1-drm/

We need to find this guy so he can give us last version netflix patched , lol.
    -------------------

Anyway , Please put "confirm" on the following topic on forum xiaomi , will help us have the "issue" fixed or at least xiaomi will know about it.
    example: http://prntscr.com/jj22rv

http://en.miui.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2613658
    MIX 2S Global has L3.

I previously had the OnePlus 5 and to get L1 HD support, I had to send my device to OnePlus for it to be enabled.

As far as I'm aware (someone correct me if I'm wrong), to go from L3 to L1, can't be done via software update and must be done on an "officially authorised" machine for security purposes, as it requires unique DRM Keys, at least that's how OnePlus explained it...

So I wouldn't hold out any hope for Xiaomi to give us L1 support.
    Unfortunately without confirmation from OEM's or really experienced developers, we won't get a definitive answer, the guy a few posts up had a L1 Samsung then unlocked the bootloader and went to L3, my LG however was L1 on locked bootloader and is still L1 after unlocked bootloader (according to DRM Info App) the "officially authorised machine" your referring to is what OnePlus said in the statement regarding the OnePlus 5T, I also seen in a Asus thread about getting DRM libs from a Pixel factory image, it all seems a bit up in the air but I seriously doubt Xiaomi will address this never mind "fix" it, no version's of the Mix series had L1 and neither does the any of the most recent Mi 8 series (unless Explorer Edition does but I doubt it)
    Someone that is using the patched netflix that i found on internet can tell me if fill up to zoom (zoom to fill 18:9 screen) , works on this app ?

NETFLIX PATCHED to watch and download in HD/FULL-HD

I know already that works with last version of netflix , but i need to know if works with the patched (older) one above.

thanks a lot

Yes. You can zoom to fill 18:9 in the modded app.
    Someone that is using the patched netflix that i found on internet can tell me if fill up to zoom (zoom to fill 18:9 screen) , works on this app ?

NETFLIX PATCHED to watch and download in HD/FULL-HD

I know already that works with last version of netflix , but i need to know if works with the patched (older) one above.

thanks a lot
    I've tried it on the Mi 8 and see no difference in quality compared to the Play store Netflix. You probably got the APK from here? https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=65001865&postcount=12

I'm trying to see if I can recompile the APK using the method in the thread and see if it works.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone