• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Netflix for Android has been released!

Search This thread

MRCANNADY

Mar 13, 2009
Hello Xoomers! Netflix for android has been released today..unfortunately no 3.0 or 3.1 support but its coming soon! Streaming quality is great, plus you can advance on the app with minimal delay...enjoy!!

Reactions: timrock

bossjeeves

Nov 23, 2010
"But for now, at least, the app will only be available on select Android phones. Those include the HTC Incredible with Android 2.2, HTC Nexus One with Android 2.2 and 2.3, the HTC Evo 4G with Android 2.2, the HTC G2 with Android 2.2 and the Samsung Nexus S with Android 2.3."
guess my evo with 2.3 is no good..... someone with one of the said 2.3 devices have the apk they would like to share?

MRCANNADY

Mar 13, 2009
yes but the point is that they have finally shown Android some love...this will look great and the Xoom when the update is released.

MRCANNADY

Mar 13, 2009
I side-loaded the app and tried it on the Xoom, received an error message, come on Netflix...Tablet support is a must..I a drooling just thinking about using Netflix on the bus with our 10 inch screens!!

Reactions: Arun01

Inphinitizeit

Mar 7, 2010
I can confirm it doesn't work on Xoom. I sideloaded it, and it pops up a message This device is not supported. It lets me log in and then I try to play something again another message this device is not supported. :-(

kcrudup

Mar 27, 2007
San Francisco Bay Area
come on Netflix- Tablet support is a must
What really gets me about the delay in getting it out to Android devices was Netflix' constant mantra about how they "needed a reliable DRM solution for Android'. Well I just downloaded it onto my EVO, which hasn't had an update since what- October?

IOW there's no new DRM code in the Froyo OS (unlike the Honeycomb 3.1 update, which has it), which means it comes via the app- and since we know the iPad has Netflix, there's no reason left why there can't be one for HC.

Like you said- come on, Netflix! What gives?!

csseale

Aug 18, 2010
west palm beach
What really gets me about the delay in getting it out to Android devices was Netflix' constant mantra about how they "needed a reliable DRM solution for Android'. Well I just downloaded it onto my EVO, which hasn't had an update since what- October?

IOW there's no new DRM code in the Froyo OS (unlike the Honeycomb 3.1 update, which has it), which means it comes via the app- and since we know the iPad has Netflix, there's no reason left why there can't be one for HC.

Like you said- come on, Netflix! What gives?!

I think it has alot to do with the movies google just released. Probably wanna give that awhile before allowing netflix in. Smart business is all.

kcrudup

Mar 27, 2007
San Francisco Bay Area
I think it has a lot to do with the movies Google just released. Probably wanna give that awhile before allowing Netflix in.
I could put more weight behind this were it not for the fact that I've been able to watch Amazon Instant Movies since the day a Xoom-capable Flash was released.

Besides, Amazon's "all-you-can eat" pricing model for older releases isn't the same as Google's "new(er)-release, rent now" model.

IndivisibleP

Dec 3, 2010
I imagine it wouldn't be a bad idea for someone to post a link to the uploaded apk somewhere so that lazy people like me can sideload as soon as they get this news.

Maybe even edit the OP

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello Xoomers! Netflix for android has been released today..unfortunately no 3.0 or 3.1 support but its coming soon! Streaming quality is great, plus you can advance on the app with minimal delay...enjoy!!
    I got excited, but you should update the title to say "not for xoom--yet" since this is a xoom forum.
    I side-loaded the app and tried it on the Xoom, received an error message, come on Netflix...Tablet support is a must..I a drooling just thinking about using Netflix on the bus with our 10 inch screens!!