• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Netflix HDR Playback issue

Search This thread

ismailonrails

Mar 13, 2014
Netflix HDR on LG V30+ Fixed with January security update

Hi all,

So far I am liking the phone, I am having an issue and I dont know if it's me or what. When I was regular shows/movies on Netflix (HD) it looks great, no issues what so ever. But when I view HDR shows the whole thing has a really bad brownish tint to it.

I tried to take a screen shot of it but it would not let me do that. I dont know if I did something wrong in the settings which in the display part it is set to Movies and the Enhanced Video Color is turned on as well.

If you need more information to help me fix this issue please me know.

Thanks in advance

Now its been fixed. I've LG V30+ International version H930DS and today I got a big update(not Oreo) 700+ MBs update and Netflix HDR vidoes working fine finally. before I had to downgrade netflix app to version 4 to watch Netflix HDR show in non-HDR mode, but now all is good, tried with multiple shows and compared output with Google Pixel 2 XL and V30 looks better IMO.

I hope this helps

Mr CATFISH

Nov 26, 2017
Now its been fixed. I've LG V30+ International version H930DS and today I got a big update(not Oreo) 700+ MBs update and Netflix HDR vidoes working fine finally. before I had to downgrade netflix app to version 4 to watch Netflix HDR show in non-HDR mode, but now all is good, tried with multiple shows and compared output with Google Pixel 2 XL and V30 looks better IMO.

I hope this helps

Thanks for following up. Did the brightness ramp up like it does when you watch hdr on YouTube? When you start an hdr video on YouTube in portrait (vertical) position, then turn the display horizontal, you'll see what I mean.

Sent from my LG-H931 using XDA Labs

scoogots

Oct 17, 2014
All HDR content on netfilx had a brownish tint before the update. Looks the same after the update, still brownish tint. All other non HDR content looks normal. US998

chrisrj28

Apr 26, 2008
Sacramento, CA
So a new bit of info, I just got off the phone with Netflix support. He was claiming that you need a data speed of at least 25mbs to properly stream HDR. Anything lower will give you the washed out and muddy look according to him.

So I'm gonna get on wifi when I get home and see if there is a different. Anyone on wifi able to test that?

YouTube HDR streams just fine though so no idea whether his info is accurate.

On a side note, can anyone on a V30 do YouTube HDR and 1080p 60fps? I get stuttering and the videos play like they are in slow motion until i change it to 720p 60fps HDR and then no issues

JWnSC

Jul 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
My WiFi is well over 100mbs..still looks terrible on the v30(with hdr Netflix). Looks great on my s8+ and tab s3. Not sure if it's Netflix's fault or LG. I changed my Netflix plan to non hdr to test and all was well.

chrisrj28

Apr 26, 2008
Sacramento, CA
My WiFi is well over 100mbs..still looks terrible on the v30(with hdr Netflix). Looks great on my s8+ and tab s3. Not sure if it's Netflix's fault or LG. I changed my Netflix plan to non hdr to test and all was well.

Yes I think it's something between Netflix and LG. I'm gonna call them when I get home so I can show them it's not a network issue but something with the app

Reactions: JWnSC

chrisrj28

Apr 26, 2008
Sacramento, CA
So the saga continues. I get home on wifi which is 60-75mps and still playback issues.

So I called Netflix, after leaving me on hold for 6 minutes the agent tells me that she was speaking with tech support and they told her that in order for HDR to work properly the phone must be on the latest software of 8.1

Like really what in the hell kind of answer is that? Because Samsung phones aren't on 8.1 and they work just fine. I explained that YouTube HDR works fine.

So what a waste that was. Super annoying because I can't watch anything in HDR through the Netflix app

t0adman

Nov 3, 2009
Seattle
I had a similar experience with Chat tech support at Netflix. Asked me where I saw the V30 was a supported HDR device. I sent a link to the page on the Netflix site. The tech support person replied back to me with the exact same link a few IMs later. They're clueless.

chrisrj28

Apr 26, 2008
Sacramento, CA
I had a similar experience with Chat tech support at Netflix. Asked me where I saw the V30 was a supported HDR device. I sent a link to the page on the Netflix site. The tech support person replied back to me with the exact same link a few IMs later. They're clueless.

Yes they have no idea what's going on. So I called LG and he basically said there isn't much they could do but he would submit a ticket to their engineers about it but that's all they could do.

So for now it appears there is no way to get HDR playback through Netflix on our phone to display properly

potatman

Sep 16, 2010
This is weird. I used to have that issue but with the last January update HDR looks fine. I'm using a V30+ DS.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

I think it actually is fixed, it's just that the fix is only deployed to the EU/International. The unlocked US998 model is a version behind the EU/International unlocked models, and everyone that has those models that I've talked to has said it is working as of the last update (the update that is not out in the US yet). So unfortunately the only thing to do for now is probably just wait for the update to roll out to the US.

The US:
US99810c_03_1216.kdz (Security Patch Dec 2017)

The EU:
H93011m_00_OPEN_EU_OP_1229.kdz (Security Patch Jan 2018)

Last edited:
Reactions: digitalallstar

Lukitron

Nov 13, 2013
San Juan
Glad to read this thread, was watching altered carbon on Netflix and didn't know about the HDR problem so I just assumed they chose that weird tint on the shadows which looks horrible lol...

chrisrj28

Apr 26, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Glad to read this thread, was watching altered carbon on Netflix and didn't know about the HDR problem so I just assumed they chose that weird tint on the shadows which looks horrible lol...

Yeah first time I noticed was when I watched Bright in December, I thought maybe they just shot the movie dark. Then after trying to watch Cloverfield Paradox I realized something was off.

Watched Bright and Cloverfield on my TV and total night and day.

It's just annoying that neither Netflix or LG will acknowledge it and issue a fix.

Reactions: Lukitron

Lukitron

Nov 13, 2013
San Juan
Yeah first time I noticed was when I watched Bright in December, I thought maybe they just shot the movie dark. Then after trying to watch Cloverfield Paradox I realized something was off.

Watched Bright and Cloverfield on my TV and total night and day.

It's just annoying that neither Netflix or LG will acknowledge it and issue a fix.

Yes, when I watched Cloverfield then I realized it was not possible that the cinematography could be so I'll conceived on both so something was wrong.

I called Netflix today and they acknowledged the issue, they said that it's due to an "LG software bug", that they are aware of the problem and that LG had promised to patch it "soon", that I should be on the lookout for an update from LG lol

Reactions: JWnSC

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Netflix Apk version 5.2 solves HDR problem

I searched the net and found a solution.

If you search for Netflix Version 5.2 you can play HDR with no problems.

You will need to allow unknown sources in security settings before downloading and installing.

Hi all,

So far I am liking the phone, I am having an issue and I dont know if it's me or what. When I was regular shows/movies on Netflix (HD) it looks great, no issues what so ever. But when I view HDR shows the whole thing has a really bad brownish tint to it.

I tried to take a screen shot of it but it would not let me do that. I dont know if I did something wrong in the settings which in the display part it is set to Movies and the Enhanced Video Color is turned on as well.

Thanks in advance
    So to confirm I spoke with Netflix regarding an account issue and the rep confirmed that it is a known software bug and that Netflix is working with LG. Nice to finally hear it acknowledged
    Netflix HDR on LG V30+ Fixed with January security update

Hi all,

Thanks in advance

I hope this helps
    Is anyone else having similar issues or is it just me?