Netflix on the OnePlus 7 Pro [DISCUSSION]

Search This thread

freaky2xd

Jan 9, 2015
I would like to make this into a discussion, the topic is Netflix content on the OnePlus 7 Pro and any other smartphone with a HDR Netflix certification.

Here are my thoughts:
As we all know, the OP7 Pro made it on the list of Netflix HDR HD supported devices. What does this mean? If you don't unlock the bootloader (or use a modded version of Netflix) you will not be able to watch that "crisp" high definition HDR content on your phone. I am okey with that, it's a choice everybody can make. What I do not like at all is how Netflix advertises their HD content towards people who own devices like the OnePlus 7 Pro, Samsung Galaxy S10 etc, devices with good, QHD+ resolution displays. Why? You might have noticed that Netflix never mentioned the term "FHD, QHD, UHD", only "SD, HD, HDR". They keep talking about a mobile cinema experience thanks to HDR on your mobile device, which does include tablets by the way, without telling the users that even though they own a device that can can display a high pixel count like the OnePlus 7 Pro. To give you a comparison, this is what your OnePlus 7 Pro can actually show versus what Netflix allows the consumer to see:

OnePlus 7 Pro (3120 x 1440)
4.49 Million*Pixels (4492800 to be precise)

High Definition HDR Content (1280 x 720)
0.92 Million Pixels ( 921600 pixels)

That is the maximum resolution Netflix sends to your phone, not a single pixel more than that. Is HDR nice to have? Yes it is, it's a good compromise when it comes to image quality and the amount of data. Am I, a consumer who pays 16$ per month for the UHD Netflix subscription disappointed? Hell yeah. 5G is coming this year and Netflix decides that tHe hUmAn eYe cAn't sEE aBoVe 720p 29.99FPS. Jokes aside, I think that it is time that they allow higher resolution for mobile devices, I don't need 4K right away on a screen where I can't even see that many pixels, but I did some testing and compared two 720p Netflix streamed movies to a 1080p non-HDR and a 4K offline version (18GB file from a BluRay) and even though 720p HDR might look pretty close to 1080p non-HDR it definetly can't compete with content which can use the screens full potentíal. And considering that 5G is already or almost here, depending on your region, it would be very sad if Netflix decided not to offer content in 1440p or even UHD for smartphones and tablets.

What are your thoughts? Share them with us!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 7436581

Maybe it's not due to HDR but I was comparing streams of an episode of Bodyguard on Netflix on my 7 Pro and Note 9, both full brightness, playing at the same time and I have to say the 7 Pro blows the Note 9 out of the water. I could see more details from the shadows on the 7 pro but both streams definitely looked Full HD at least.

freaky2xd

Jan 9, 2015
Maybe it's not due to HDR but I was comparing streams of an episode of Bodyguard on Netflix on my 7 Pro and Note 9, both full brightness, playing at the same time and I have to say the 7 Pro blows the Note 9 out of the water. I could see more details from the shadows on the 7 pro but both streams definitely looked Full HD at least.

Netflix offers a few test video files which can go up to 4K, you can check which resolution is actually the highest for your device ;)
https://www.netflix.com/title/80018499?s=a&trkid=13747225&t=cp

Reactions: ataft

quantum404

Jan 15, 2019
Is there any indication where it tells your it's playing in HDR?
Yeah, if HDR content is playing. Phones (I only have Samsung and OnePlus to check) will change their color profile to natural. So if you set it to something like vibrant, then exit a HDR video then you will see color looks very different form vibrant profile.

---------- Post added at 09:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 AM ----------

What I hate is the fact that they allow 1080p on iPhones but not on android anymore. I say anymore because Im pretty sure Netflix with 4.x.x something suporrted 1080p streaming. For what ever reason they removed it. Just be like YouTube and let me select the resolution ffs. I don't even pay for YouTube yet they have better support for HD content.

D

Deleted member 7436581

Seems that it doesn't really matter (at least to me). My eyes can see some great detail in people's faces and other objects on my phone's display. To my eyes, that's plenty of HD to me. *shrugs*

I checked my FF browser and it's showing full HD. That's actually where I watch 90% of my Netflix (and Amazon) streams, anyway. But this is an interesting topic, nonetheless.

wr3zzz

Aug 25, 2010
After Netflix removed the ctrl-alt-shft-s command for no apparent reason than a big F-you to its customers, I will return to piracy before I upgrade to 4K/HDR from my current FHD plan. Without that command to lock in bit-rate even 1080P is iffy on my 100 Mb fiber connection. I hope the Disney+/Hulu or Warner/HBO/ATT plan is competitive because Netflix is really starting to piss me off.

Back on topic, does HDR really make a big difference on a tiny screen?

D

Deleted member 7804240

[Deleted]

Last edited by a moderator:

intense21

Jul 29, 2011
OnePlus 9 Pro
Don't do it. After dinner research if you try and lock your bootloader after the OS s been modified you'll brick your phone.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

venti34

May 6, 2021
It annoys me, I want to watch movies and TV series in good quality. So I give them money for a subscription expecting proper quality in return, but I get Full HD? I don't know. I used to watch very few soap operas, because I worked a lot. But during last year's quarantine, I switched to working remotely. And then there was a lot of time. I didn't have the money for paid subscriptions, and so I went to 123 movies. The platform surprised me with its picture and sound quality, there is a very high picture resolution.

Last edited:
No way and probably won't happen.

There are movies in 1080 you can watch on OP7P on Netflix. They are encoded using VP9 and Netflix said they are slowly encoding more movies to be available in 1080 on mobile.
From oos 11 beta 3 and up,,you got L1 work even you unlock and root,,, mine with unlock bootloader, and root

Attachments

• IMG_20210507_041450_210.jpg
    IMG_20210507_041450_210.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 58

Top Liked Posts