Netflix releases Android app for select HTC phones, Samsung Nexus S

Search This thread

AnomalyInk

Jan 12, 2011
Works fine on manual rooted 1.2, using...

ro.product.model=Vision

ro.product.manufacturer=htc

(changed via root explorer)

Set this yesterday and still holding after several hard reboots. Android market and BN market working normally. Just bought a BN app, launched netflix and streamed a movie, backed out and bought and downloaded another BN app. BN app market is showing all (151) available apps.

jpierini

Jul 13, 2007
Anyone have this working on AT&T Inspire? I've tried using both Vision and Nexus S and neither work.

clamhandsmcgee

Mar 6, 2011
Just a heads up, but the netflix apk has been modified to disable device check. It can be found on Xda forums at

xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1076150

I haven't tried it on my nook yet, but I have on my DX rubix focused and it works great.

Edit- I'm an idiot. already posted. sorry.

Last edited:

JohnnyTheRed

Oct 26, 2007
Hey all, I have a stock Samsung Galaxy Tab. I modified the build.prop to ro.product.model=Nexus S and ro.product.manufacturer=samsung, and I also tried changing it to ro.product.model=HTC Vision and ro.product.manufacturer=HTC and both times I get the following error when trying to play a movie:

"The Netflix service is not available on your device. Please check the Netflix website at netflix.com/NetflixReadyDevices for information regarding support for your device"

Is it because my Tab is stock or could it be something else?

japzone

Dec 25, 2010
Hey all, I have a stock Samsung Galaxy Tab. I modified the build.prop to ro.product.model=Nexus S and ro.product.manufacturer=samsung, and I also tried changing it to ro.product.model=HTC Vision and ro.product.manufacturer=HTC and both times I get the following error when trying to play a movie:

"The Netflix service is not available on your device. Please check the Netflix website at netflix.com/NetflixReadyDevices for information regarding support for your device"

Is it because my Tab is stock or could it be something else?

Try the Thread the guy above you posted.

dexx0008

Apr 2, 2011
Twin Ciites, MN
.32 kernel this won't work because you get chipmunk voices and speed but others could try the galaxy tab settings. I ran this perfectly on my 7.0.2 stable non OC

ro.product.model=SPH-P100
ro.product.manufacturer=samsung

Ronin3178

Oct 26, 2010
.32 kernel this won't work because you get chipmunk voices and speed but others could try the galaxy tab settings. I ran this perfectly on my 7.0.2 stable non OC

ro.product.model=SPH-P100

It works on. 32 kernel, I am running it right now. You need to use HTC/vision to not get the chipmunk voices.

Ronin

Drachen808

Jun 11, 2010
San Antonio
This might sound stupid so I apologize.

I was having a hard time with this until I realized by CM 7.0.3 build.pro did not say ro.product.manufacturer=. It said ro.product.brand=. I changed brand to manufacturer, rebooted, and finally go it to work.....

Why, oh why can't I hit thank you a ton of times. I started reading this thread when it was a page long, purchased root explorer specifically to get this to work, and haven't been able to do so. Kept getting the "this device not supported" error over and over again. Saw this post, replaced "brand" with "manufacturer" BOOM! Louis CK will make my workday go by faster. Thank you so very much!

youbecha

Nov 22, 2007
bubbazanetti.blogspot.com
HowTo guide for those that don't understand what build.prop is.

Android 2.2 ROMs(Stock, Froyo, ect...)
ro.product.model=HTC Vision
ro.product.manufacturer=HTC

Just make sure you backup your build.prop file before editing just in case you need to switch back.(Copy it somewhere and rename it build.prop.bak)

For Newbs:
-Remount /system as RW using Root Explorer
-Backup the /system/build.prop to /system/build.prop.bak
-Edit the file /system/build.prop with a text editor (Hold down in Root Explorer for Popup then tap "Open in Text Editor" )
-Replace each line with it's above replacements
-Make sure there are no extra spaces at the ends of lines as that can cause problems
-Save the file
-Hard Reboot

TaDa! Netflix Works!

Terrific post!

Works just fine on my 1.2 manual root nook. (downloaded app from app store, used Root Explorer for editing as shown above.)

Deaks2

Feb 27, 2011
Why, oh why can't I hit thank you a ton of times. I started reading this thread when it was a page long, purchased root explorer specifically to get this to work, and haven't been able to do so. Kept getting the "this device not supported" error over and over again. Saw this post, replaced "brand" with "manufacturer" BOOM! Louis CK will make my workday go by faster. Thank you so very much!
There are two separate entries for ro.product.manufacturer and ro.product.brand in CM7. Manufacturer is about 5 lines lowering the in the document.

dweezilz

Feb 28, 2008
It works on. 32 kernel, I am running it right now. You need to use HTC/vision to not get the chipmunk voices.

Ronin

So you are saying it works with the OC kernel or are you using the kernel that comes with CM7? It works for me using the base CM7 beta kernel but as soon as I put the OC on, I get alvin and his brothers. I'm gonna try HTC/vision and see how that works with the OC Kernel. Does your market still work with that setting?

Ronin3178

Oct 26, 2010
So you are saying it works with the OC kernel or are you using the kernel that comes with CM7? It works for me using the base CM7 beta kernel but as soon as I put the OC on, I get alvin and his brothers. I'm gonna try HTC/vision and see how that works with the OC Kernel. Does your market still work with that setting?

Yes, with the HTC/Vision settings the OC kernel does not give you chipmunk voices, everything is normal. I modified the build.prop prior to flashing, b/c I don't have a root explorer capable of editing my current one (I'm a cheap bastard I guess). And my market works fine, with the exception of problems I have always had when using two devices on same gmail acct.

That prob is installed apps disappearing from one or both devices, or changing installed to just free (not installed). My TB also no longer has market links on either device, and can't fix with Market Doc. <----- jic anyone knows how to fix this.

Ronin

dweezilz

Feb 28, 2008
cool! I gave it a try and it works...and market seems fine. Someone mentioned an issue with adjusting brightness when trying something that fix the video speed (can't recall what he tried) but that seems fine too! I used root explorer which I purchased, however I saw in the Nook / Netflix how to video that there is a free app that does the same thing called es file explorer. I'm gonna try it even though I already paid for root explorer.

I've never had those issues you are describing with apps disappearing or showing purchased instead of installed etc... Not sure if it's something new with the cm7 beta (just installed that for the first time last night) but with cm7 stable on my nook, both my unrooted fascinate and now with my new unrooted TB each device seems to show properly what has been installed vs. purchased even if I haven't installed everything I've purchased on all devices. Somehow it seems to keep track properly. Is that the issue you are having? I hope that doesn't become a problem now that I've changed the model/manuf in the prop. What do you mean by market links?

Last edited:

Ronin3178

Oct 26, 2010
I've never had those issues you are describing with apps disappearing or showing purchased instead of installed etc... Not sure if it's something new with the cm7 beta (just installed that for the first time last night) but with cm7 stable on my nook, both my unrooted fascinate and now with my new unrooted TB each device seems to show properly what has been installed vs. purchased even if I haven't installed everything I've purchased on all devices. Somehow it seems to keep track properly. Is that the issue you are having? I hope that doesn't become a problem now that I've changed the model/manuf in the prop. What do you mean by market links?

Nope, I have had this problem with my droid and Nook since I added the Nook back in March. I briefly made another gmail account to use for the Nook, but came back because I didn't want another email address. But this is a problem I should open a topic for, glad you got the NF working on the beta.

The market link is referring to titanium backup, when you have an app backed up, sometimes it shows an icon that means it has app, data and market link backed up. I had all the market links on my D1 before these problems started, but they slowly disappeared over time.

Sent from my Droid using XDA Premium App

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    i got it to work this changing thise 2 lines

ro.product.model=Nexus S

and both netflix AND market work

make sure you dont cap samsung.. when i did it as Samsung netflix wouldnt work.. but with just samsung worked fine

Thanks for this.

Pretty simple if anyone's needing some help:

1. Root Explorer -> system -> Click "Mount R/W"

2. Long press build.prop -> Copy -> Paste (for backup purposes)

3. Long press build.prop -> Open in Text Editor

4. Change the above two bolded lines

5. Save

6. Reboot

7. Open Netflix and enjoy! :D
    As I posted in another section, I'm watching netflix on my nook *right now*! All it took was a build.prop mod. As follows:

ro.product.brand=tmobile
    ro.product.name=vision
    ro.product.device=vision
    ro.product.board=vision

ro.build.fingerprint=tmobile/htc_vision/vision/vision:2.2/FRF91/277427:user/release-keys
    i got it to work this changing thise 2 lines

ro.product.model=Nexus S

and both netflix AND market work

make sure you dont cap samsung.. when i did it as Samsung netflix wouldnt work.. but with just samsung worked fine
    HowTo Get Netflix to work on the Nook Color

HowTo guide for those that don't understand what build.prop is.

Android 2.3 ROMs(CM7 Stable, Phiremod, ect...)
    ro.product.model=Nexus S

CM7 nightlys + Android 2.2 ROMs(Stock, Froyo, ect...)

Just make sure you backup your build.prop file before editing just in case you need to switch back.(Copy it somewhere and rename it build.prop.bak)

For Newbs:
    -Remount /system as RW using Root Explorer
    -Backup the /system/build.prop to /system/build.prop.bak
    -Edit the file /system/build.prop with a text editor (Hold down in Root Explorer for Popup then tap "Open in Text Editor" )
    -Replace each line with it's above replacements
    -Make sure there are no extra spaces at the ends of lines as that can cause problems
    -Save the file
    -Hard Reboot

TaDa! Netflix Works!

Anybody else notice this quality quirk?

EDIT: I noticed people are complaining about quality. Try loading the Video and then Seek to the beginning again, that rebuffers it to a higher quality like I stated before. At least for me.