• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Netflix releases Android app for select HTC phones, Samsung Nexus S

Search This thread

FractalSphere

Oct 21, 2009
Chicago
www.doublecluepon.com
Probably? Things run a little slow, but I haven't tested thoroughly. I'm pretty used to switching build.props on a regular basis for use with mlb.tv, so it doesn't bother me to have to switch often. I plan on switching back when I'm done watching just in case (or until others can show that it doesn't hurt anything).

That seems like a pretty low-tech way to verify if you're on a supported phone. You'd think they would look for something in the video spec or processor or something. But whatever, I'll get home and play with that file. :D

Thank you sir!

aakbari1024

Dec 20, 2010
So I'm assuming its not practical to just keep the modified one permanently?

Netflix works great, btw, thanks for the tip!

chinly43

Sep 18, 2010
Seattle, WA
So I'm assuming its not practical to just keep the modified one permanently?

Netflix works great, btw, thanks for the tip!

Just as an example, I don't keep my MLB.tv-modded one running all the time on my G2, because although it allows the video, it breaks skype. It wouldn't surprise me if something similar happened here, but you also might find it to be worth it, depending on how much netflix you end up watching.

A

ace7196

Okay, so now that we all know the trick, quickly delete this thread and only tell those you know how to do it. :p

chinly43

Sep 18, 2010
Seattle, WA
Market FCs confirmed here as well. But hey, I'm no developer, and I'm fine with my solution. Just a few extra reboots occasionally.

gmoooney

Jul 12, 2010
Virginia
When attempting to edit the line: ro.build.fingerprint=tmobile/htc_vision/vision/vision:2.2/FRF91/277427:user/release-keys

using prop editor... I get (invalid character in name)

Any help? Thanks!

gmoooney

Jul 12, 2010
Virginia
When attempting to edit the line: ro.build.fingerprint=tmobile/htc_vision/vision/vision:2.2/FRF91/277427:user/release-keys

using prop editor... I get (invalid character in name)

Any help? Thanks!

Ok so just for the hell of it I figured I'd reboot and try it, even with the ro.build.fingerprint line set as it was in my Phyremod build.

And Netflix works GREAT!

So that last line does NOT have to be changed if you are on Phyremod. (at least in my case).

Thanks for the help!

Divine_Madcat

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 9, 2005
USA
Cache didn't help, and I'm not going to bother with clearing data. If someone else finds it worked, though, then I'll try it.

Well, its sort of a needed two part thing. You have to clear the market cache and framework data together.. not much point in doing just one...

Code:
 Settings -> Manage Applications -> All -> Market
 Clear Cache then Force Stop -- DO NOT clear data

Settings -> Manage Applications -> All -> Google Services Framework
 Clear data then Force Stop

Last edited:
Reactions: chinly43

computercarl

Oct 16, 2006
Bay City, MI
Why is it, every time I leave my NC @ home, something big happens? Last month was B&N dropping Froyo, before that it was Video Fix, before that it was bt, before that it was CM7... Ugh.

Can someone with their NC possibly test w/ only changing the fingerprint line, and leaving the rest as is, and can they also try clearing the market cache and framework data if it's still FC'ing?

Thanks!

Last edited:

chinly43

Sep 18, 2010
Seattle, WA
I did make a backup though :)

Ooooh, didn't think about the possibility that I could be messing with folks' stuff on a semi-permanent basis.

In case anyone *didn't* back up the build.prop, here's how the lines I changed looked before:

ro.product.model=NookColor
ro.product.brand=bn
ro.product.name=encore
ro.product.device=encore
ro.product.board=encore

ro.product.manufacturer=bn

ro.build.fingerprint=google/passion/passion:2.3.3/GRI40/102588:user/release-keys

computercarl

Oct 16, 2006
Bay City, MI
Maye try flashing gapps zip again? If we can get this working and not having to swap build.props back and forth all the time, that would be awesome, and another +1 for "the little tablet that could".

aakbari1024

Dec 20, 2010
I guess until a better fix comes along, we'll just have to suck it up and restart every time we wanna watch netflix.

But this is still a great solution. Thanks a lot chinly.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    i got it to work this changing thise 2 lines

ro.product.model=Nexus S
    ro.product.manufacturer=samsung

and both netflix AND market work

make sure you dont cap samsung.. when i did it as Samsung netflix wouldnt work.. but with just samsung worked fine

Thanks for this.

Pretty simple if anyone's needing some help:

1. Root Explorer -> system -> Click "Mount R/W"

2. Long press build.prop -> Copy -> Paste (for backup purposes)

3. Long press build.prop -> Open in Text Editor

4. Change the above two bolded lines

5. Save

6. Reboot

7. Open Netflix and enjoy! :D
    As I posted in another section, I'm watching netflix on my nook *right now*! All it took was a build.prop mod. As follows:

ro.product.model=HTC Vision
    ro.product.brand=tmobile
    ro.product.name=vision
    ro.product.device=vision
    ro.product.board=vision

ro.product.manufacturer=HTC

ro.build.fingerprint=tmobile/htc_vision/vision/vision:2.2/FRF91/277427:user/release-keys
    i got it to work this changing thise 2 lines

ro.product.model=Nexus S

and both netflix AND market work

make sure you dont cap samsung.. when i did it as Samsung netflix wouldnt work.. but with just samsung worked fine
    HowTo Get Netflix to work on the Nook Color

HowTo guide for those that don't understand what build.prop is.

Android 2.3 ROMs(CM7 Stable, Phiremod, ect...)
    ro.product.model=Nexus S

CM7 nightlys + Android 2.2 ROMs(Stock, Froyo, ect...)
    ro.product.model=HTC Vision
    ro.product.manufacturer=HTC

Just make sure you backup your build.prop file before editing just in case you need to switch back.(Copy it somewhere and rename it build.prop.bak)

For Newbs:
    -Remount /system as RW using Root Explorer
    -Backup the /system/build.prop to /system/build.prop.bak
    -Edit the file /system/build.prop with a text editor (Hold down in Root Explorer for Popup then tap "Open in Text Editor" )
    -Replace each line with it's above replacements
    -Make sure there are no extra spaces at the ends of lines as that can cause problems
    -Save the file
    -Hard Reboot

TaDa! Netflix Works!

Anybody else notice this quality quirk?

EDIT: I noticed people are complaining about quality. Try loading the Video and then Seek to the beginning again, that rebuffers it to a higher quality like I stated before. At least for me.