General Network Signal Guru has been updated for the Pixel 6/exynos

Search This thread

LLStarks

Jun 1, 2012
I've been testing this for around a month. Works quite well but dual SIM or leaving DSDS enabled can be a little weird.

Band locking is not possible and likely will never be.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I used this app for band locking. What else can we use it for if it doesnt support that
Looks like it's capable (and defaults to as long as it's running) of testing your connectivity. I don't know specifics and would likely only use it if I had a problem, which I haven't.

An excerpt of the description in the app store:
Network Signal Guru (NSG) is a multi-functional Android OS based tool for voice and data service quality troubleshooting, RF optimization and engineering field work. It supports all wireless network technologies worldwide, and covers multiple mobile layers as well as data stack in real-time. NSG provides extensive test functions for voice, data tests to assess and reflect the real end-user experience of QoS within a mobile network.

NSG covers all test functions and latest technologies such as: GSM, GPRS, EDGE, UMTS, HSDPA, HSUPA, CDMA2000, EVDO, LTE, NR5G. NSG integrates full recording and decoding of protocol layers on the supported technologies(3GPP, Layer2, Layer3 and SIP) and direct decoding of Layer 3 signaling and data protocol packets on cell phones.

NSG Map offers comprehensive and valuable benefits to combine outdoor and indoor measurements, which reduces the complexity of in locations such as subway, malls or airports.

NSG needs two prequisite conditions before you are using this tool. first only support Qualcomm chipset models. Secondly NSG need cell phone a super user access within your android phone and you have to root the device before NSG is running.

Notice that it still says Qualcomm only in the description, but in the What's New section:
**New**
- Exynos support (Pixel 6)
**Fix**
- Dual 5G (Qualcomm)
- Cumulative decode bugs

Reactions: galaxys

LLStarks

Jun 1, 2012
I used this app for band locking. What else can we use it for if it doesnt support that
It's a monitoring tool first and foremost.

I'm looking forward to positively identifying new cells/PCIs, new band broadcasts like n77 or n41 SA, or emerging technologies like 5G carrier aggregation or VoNR.

Reactions: mmarcz

clipdawg05

Nov 20, 2014
It's a monitoring tool first and foremost.

I'm looking forward to positively identifying new cells/PCIs, new band broadcasts like n77 or n41 SA, or emerging technologies like 5G carrier aggregation or VoNR.
Thanks for replying. I am a noob and having all the info the app gives is basically a new language. But I have a feeling even if I did know what the information is telling me I couldn't really do anything with it.

I am in the middle of switching service providers and I have a sim card of all three providers in my country. If someone can help me understand what to look for so I can choose the best provider

LLStarks

Jun 1, 2012
Thanks for replying. I am a noob and having all the info the app gives is basically a new language. But I have a feeling even if I did know what the information is telling me I couldn't really do anything with it.

I am in the middle of switching service providers and I have a sim card of all three providers in my country. If someone can help me understand what to look for so I can choose the best provider
It depends on the carrier and how activated the sim card is, but you should be able to use NSG or other, free apps like CellMapper to measure your signals and coverage.

Carrier maps are also an option if you trust them.

And don't worry about understanding all the data. I only understand a fraction of it myself.

The key metrics are easy and for all of them, higher values (or closer to zero if negative) are better.

RSRP = Reference Signal Received Power
RSRQ = Reference Signal Received Quality
SINR = Signal to Interference plus Noise Ratio

Also useful to see how wide your signals are. A 5 MHz wide signal at 600 MHz will be extremely slow but have greater coverage than a super-fast 80 MHz wide signal at 2.5 GHz.

EtherealRemnant

Sep 15, 2007
Denver, CO
Can someone verify if NSG exposes the QCI on Exynos like it does on Qualcomm? My Pixel 3 XL doesn't seem to work with it and my HTC 10, which does work, isn't whitelisted for AT&T so if I put an AT&T SIM in it, I risk them blocking my SIM (and I would rather not mess with the IMEI to get around that) and the battery on the 10 is going to go totally kaput soon anyway.

On Qualcomm, this an example of what the screen looks like

download.jpg

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Can someone verify if NSG exposes the QCI on Exynos like it does on Qualcomm? My Pixel 3 XL doesn't seem to work with it and my HTC 10, which does work, isn't whitelisted for AT&T so if I put an AT&T SIM in it, I risk them blocking my SIM (and I would rather not mess with the IMEI to get around that) and the battery on the 10 is going to go totally kaput soon anyway.

On Qualcomm, this an example of what the screen looks like

View attachment 5519931
I'm not very experienced with this app, but I've got it running, gave it root permissions, it's testing. I turned Wi-Fi off just in case that would help progress. Everything below the GUTI line is blank so far, but I'll leave it running for a while and see if anything happens, and report back. I have not paid the $50 per month for the app, for what it's worth.

Reactions: EtherealRemnant

EtherealRemnant

Sep 15, 2007
Denver, CO
I'm not very experienced with this app, but I've got it running, gave it root permissions, it's testing. I turned Wi-Fi off just in case that would help progress. Everything below the GUTI line is blank so far, but I'll leave it running for a while and see if anything happens, and report back. I have not paid the $50 per month for the app, for what it's worth.
Pixels are apparently pretty fussy because of Google so it's probable that there's more to do than just install it but I don't know what those things are unfortunately since I don't have it working on my 3 XL either. Thanks for checking though, would be a nice perk.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Pixels are apparently pretty fussy because of Google so it's probable that there's more to do than just install it but I don't know what those things are unfortunately since I don't have it working on my 3 XL either. Thanks for checking though, would be a nice perk.
Unfortunately, still the same status with it running for 30+ minutes. No QCI.

Reactions: EtherealRemnant

EtherealRemnant

Sep 15, 2007
Denver, CO
Unfortunately, still the same status with it running for 30+ minutes. No QCI.
Thanks for checking. It probably needs a custom kernel or something. I saw a post about, I think it was the 4 XL, needing some special userdebug kernel because Google switched to AOSP variants or something like that. I only briefly skimmed it but it sounded like a hassle. Probably why it doesn't work on my 3 XL but I tried the Kirisakura kernel and it didn't work on that either.

It's not like a critical feature or anything but I help people find prepaid plans and the QCI determines network deprioritization policies and a lot of the QCI info that I've gathered hasn't been updated in years so I was going to start buying a SIM to test every so often and update all of it.

EtherealRemnant

Sep 15, 2007
Denver, CO
I have working QCI.

It should be noted that the app works a lot better if you disable DSDS in the phone's secret menu. NSG tends to get confused about which SIM card it should show info on if you have DSDS enabled.
What was needed to get the app working? Custom ROM, kernel? Or just disable DSDS?

Hearing that you can see the QCI has pushed me over the edge and I'm going to get a 6 next month, just need to know if there is anything specific to get it working.

EtherealRemnant

Sep 15, 2007
Denver, CO
Stock rom. Rooted. That's all you need. Might need a license for band locking and advanced functions.
Awesome, thanks!

Any idea why @mightyvenom is only seeing the IMS QCI on the Pixel 6?

I'm totally new to this app having only used it once to check QCI on my HTC 10 so I don't really know how to troubleshoot it.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I have working QCI.

It should be noted that the app works a lot better if you disable DSDS in the phone's secret menu. NSG tends to get confused about which SIM card it should show info on if you have DSDS enabled.

Awesome, thanks!

Any idea why @mightyvenom is only seeing the IMS QCI on the Pixel 6?

I'm totally new to this app having only used it once to check QCI on my HTC 10 so I don't really know how to troubleshoot it.
Interestingly, my DSDS was already disabled by default for me.

Edit: Disregard. I see now in the other thread that I'm not the only one who reported that.

Alekos

Feb 18, 2008
Apps & Games
Google Pixel 3 XL
Interestingly, my DSDS was already disabled by default for me.

Edit: Disregard. I see now in the other thread that I'm not the only one who reported that.
should it be enabled? don't know much about what DSDS is. mine is also disabled, but not sure if it's because i have LTE enabled in SMS settings and curious what EAB/Presence is and it's disabled for me but not for you/

LLStarks

Jun 1, 2012
Just a note on the band locking menu. What you see is what you get. NSG exposes the entire hidden baseband console as-is. Anything you touch will persist through a reboot and that ENDC stuff is completely undocumented.

Google and Samsung need to update the modem to allow 5G band locking or toggling NSA/SA.

Top Liked Posts