Question Network standby battery drain exceeding 29% always P6P. Why?

Search This thread
Jul 3, 2012
Check your Wifi router settings and enable WMM APSD, this may help. I'm just guessing, so if anyone thinks this is worth a try. I know your speaking of LTE+ but possibly a wifi issue.

kennkennykenken

Oct 29, 2021
Mobile provider APN settings affecting mobile network standby drain?

So I came across this post https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/r343cy
Poster managed to fix his slow lte speeds, but it made me wonder if this could potentially be the reason why ‘mobile network standby’ is a massive drain for so many people.

A lot of fixes for battery could be attributed to this.

Format without transferring = doesn’t bring your previous provider APN settings over, reacquires apn settings

New SIM card / changing from esim to normal sim = the switching of the sim itself reacquires fresh apn settings

Disabling mobile data always active = potentially linked to this also

What do you guys think? Anyone able to try it? My pixel has not arrived yet.

Reactions: yyz71 and galaxys

skipabeat123

Jun 18, 2020
Mobile provider APN settings affecting mobile network standby drain?

So I came across this post https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/r343cy
Poster managed to fix his slow lte speeds, but it made me wonder if this could potentially be the reason why ‘mobile network standby’ is a massive drain for so many people.

A lot of fixes for battery could be attributed to this.

Format without transferring = doesn’t bring your previous provider APN settings over, reacquires apn settings

New SIM card / changing from esim to normal sim = the switching of the sim itself reacquires fresh apn settings

Disabling mobile data always active = potentially linked to this also

What do you guys think? Anyone able to try it? My pixel has not arrived yet.
My carrier is not listed there. I tried with vodafone.de Esim and traditional sim from Play network both having this issue. Hoping today's system update will fix it.

djoka60

Nov 9, 2018
On my pixel 6 mobile network was about 50% battery usage , After yesterday's carrier service update it dropped to 10%.

Reactions: Golf c

djoka60

Nov 9, 2018
This....
Screenshot 2022-01-28 214743.png

skipabeat123

Jun 18, 2020
Mine can read anywhere between 50% and 7% and the battery usage is exactly the same over a day. Its a non issue what percentage it says IMO and not something to go chasing.
My drain was around 30% and increased to 50% and I can see the difference. On Google pixel community support site plenty of users are reporting unreasonably high network standby drain after the January update and a few hours of on screen time shorter.

RetroTech07

Apr 24, 2021
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
My drain was around 30% and increased to 50% and I can see the difference. On Google pixel community support site plenty of users are reporting unreasonably high network standby drain after the January update and a few hours of on screen time shorter.
That is an old thread and has been around since the P6 first came out. Has it really affected your battery that much? Mine usually hovers around 20ish% but doesn't really kill my battery.

400ixl

Jul 27, 2006
Norwich
OnePlus 6T
Google Pixel 6 Pro
You usually find those people are having other issues like network drop outs. The Network standby percentage as a number itself is irrelevant from everyone one I have spoken to who is not having other issues. Just because that number is high does not mean there is a drain issue on its own. Not saying people are not having other issues, but this number is not really worth chasing.

Reactions: therock3181

vlubosh

Sep 8, 2007
Bratislava
I have this big idle drain only with two active sims, when i disable one of them, no matter if plastic or esim, the idle drain goes from 1,5% to 0,4%

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Regardless of network standby drain, or any other measurable metric, I find it hard to believe that 5-7 hr SOT isn't satisfactory batt life in the opinion of some.

Would these people be happier if network standby was super low but SOT was less that 7 hours?

I'm not sure why people get so bent about a device they can only use for 5-7 hours before they have to plug it in.

Are people really on their phone 80% of an 8 hour work day? Or are there that many people who don't have access to an outlet or car charger after they leave the house?

Is there some hidden shame to plugging a device in during lunch or a break to add 15% battery life for the longer 10 hr days?

I get those who are nerded out by squeezing absolutely every available SOT minute they can from their device because it's a challenge to them, and they love tweaking every possible component... I was that guy at one time.

To say that a device sucks and isn't worth the price voluntarily paid for it because it doesn't last an entire day without a charge just baffles my mind.

Of course every person is allowed their opinion, for sure. I just don't get the basis behind some of the opinions.
    How can you find your phone satisfactory if you know that the same model for the same price lasts for someone else 30% longer?????? How is this acceptable tell me.
    Battery life is the most subjective topic there is. Take 100 different P6P owners and they'll use their devices 100 different ways. Half of them root, customize, use custom Roms or kernels, and run all sorts of mods.

Then they'll compare their devices battery life and wonder why such a vast difference.

Why do I find mine satisfactory even if someone else's device get better SOT or runs more efficiently?

Because my device's battery lasts much longer than I need it to, it shines in the areas I need it to shine, and I have plenty of access to outlets, a car charger, or a battery pack if needed.

I didn't buy a power supply, a TV , or a boom box... I bought an unlockable, rootable, customizable phone that more than suits my needs, and as an added benefit does a lot of other non-phone things that are cool and fun.

If the P6P isn't your cup of tea, get the device that lasts all day without needing to charge. If your stock device is performing below the level of other's stock devices, snd you usage is identical, I'd get a replacement. If your device is used differently, responds differently than other's whose devices are configured differently, you're basically comparing apples and oranges.

Not to mention these are highly sophisticated, intricately made, and technology packed very compact items. There are bound to be some that get past the QA process.
    Just checked my batt stats and at 60% I have 3:11 SOT, with mobile network standby at 22%.

I regularly get 6 - 7 hours SOT by the time I hit 15-20% batt life remaining.

Seems like pretty good SOT to me.

factory image .36
    rooted
    Despair Kernel
    Your SoT is definitely good enough, but damn man this standby drain is beyond good and evil. To lose roughly a fourth of the battery to a STANDBY drain in 24h is just, well, nuts.

Maybe just to make sure: We are not talking about active drain from using 4G/5G, yes? We are talking about STANDBY drain here in this thread? So we are talking about a phone merely getting a background connection IN CASE the user wants to activate mobile data?

It's clearly either a hardware issue or a software/android 12 bug.

There are also several people on the "official" Pixel community site talking about their P6 Pros and an insane battery drain caused by mobile network standby, one of the threads as an example:

Just to be clear, the 22% network standby isn't 22% of total battery capacity, it is 22% of the 40% of battery capacity I've used.
    I have 55% network standby drain. Mobile network disabled. Anyone want my pixel before I throw it off the roof
    But it's not affecting your battery. Do you really think if that 55% was a problem your phone would still be in your hands and not tossed over the roof?