Question Network standby battery drain exceeding 29% always P6P. Why?

Search This thread

skipabeat123

Jun 18, 2020
That is an old thread and has been around since the P6 first came out. Has it really affected your battery that much? Mine usually hovers around 20ish% but doesn't really kill my battery.
It does. The phone is just laying there doing nothing. Since 6am to 1pm I had the screen on for 1h20min and I'm left with 62% juice left. The battery chart is always so steep in my case. Unless I'm recharging it during the day.

What the fook screen off drainage Google plz 😂

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220130-130617.png
    Screenshot_20220130-130617.png
    272.9 KB · Views: 130
  • Screenshot_20220130-130612.png
    Screenshot_20220130-130612.png
    223.3 KB · Views: 346
  • Screenshot_20220130-131316.png
    Screenshot_20220130-131316.png
    262.1 KB · Views: 119
  • Screenshot_20220130-131302.png
    Screenshot_20220130-131302.png
    226 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

vlubosh

Sep 8, 2007
Bratislava
It does. The phone is just laying there doing nothing. Since 6am to 1pm I had the screen on for 1h20min and I'm left with 62% juice left. The battery chart is always so steep in my case. Unless I'm recharging it during the day.

turn off second sim when you dont need it to use(i have work sim turned off after work, on weekend) and battery drain is 0,5%+-/h in no usage state.

Nov 7, 2017
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Just to be clear, the 22% network standby isn't 22% of total battery capacity, it is 22% of the 40% of battery capacity I've used.
Thanks for trying to explain this distinction.

We've been over this since November and still people aren't realising that the percentages listed in the battery usage view are relative values and not absolute values. You cannot compare what your device shows with others without showing the full list and details, heck due to the poor design of the battery usage view you cannot even compare your own results to 'yesterday's' at a glance.

90% of the 'complaints' in this thread turn out to not actually be an issue at all once you calculate the actual power consumption...
There have been plenty of concrete issues with the mobile data connectivity so far, but the battery usage view is definitely leading people to draw the wrong conclusions.

vlubosh

Sep 8, 2007
Bratislava
Thanks for trying to explain this distinction.

We've been over this since November and still people aren't realising that the percentages listed in the battery usage view are relative values and not absolute values. You cannot compare what your device shows with others without showing the full list and details, heck due to the poor design of the battery usage view you cannot even compare your own results to 'yesterday's' at a glance.

90% of the 'complaints' in this thread turn out to not actually be an issue at all once you calculate the actual power consumption...
There have been plenty of concrete issues with the mobile data connectivity so far, but the battery usage view is definitely leading people to draw the wrong conclusions.
Hey Mr. I think it's an issue, cause using 2 sims is big difference in standby drain comparing to one sim. Never seen this on any 2sim phone(last one s21u, before pixel 5( it's also sim + esim as p6p)...

Reactions: MArtyChubbs

pcriz

turn off second sim when you dont need it to use(i have work sim turned off after work, on weekend) and battery drain is 0,5%+-/h in no usage state.
Whether someone perceives the drain or not. Turning off one sim card to stop it kind of defeats the purpose. Nevermind your life situation probably doesn't mirror anyone elses. So there is a good chance turning off one sim isn't exactly feasible.

RetroTech07

Apr 24, 2021
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
This is tough, because I was using Proton for a bit, and the Mobile Network usage was high for me as well, but it only went up when I wasn't on wifi and I was actually using the mobile network. The OS also integrated the old graph design for looking at battery usage and drainage, and not the new design no one likes.

I had to stop using it because the screen color calibration was non-existent and made my eyes bleed lol

EtherealRemnant

Sep 15, 2007
Denver, CO

Give AccuBattery the permissions to see your app usage and you'll probably find the culprit that's *actually* draining your battery pretty fast. You're only going into deep sleep 20% of the time your screen is off, that's a big red flag that something is running in the background.

RetroTech07

Apr 24, 2021
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
The problem with accubattery is it doesn't really show you apps that might be stuck in the background that are system apps or specific wakelocls. You can't touch on an app that's listed to get more info or force close anything, so it's really just a bunch of information.

BBS shows a lot of detailed info, but the app is not working properly on A12. At this point I'm accepting that battery life isn't where it should be, even though for two days I managed 48hr standby and I will never know what caused that to happen. I've been trying to replicate it since and can't figure it out.

MrBelter

Apr 10, 2011
Mine can read anywhere between 50% and 7% and the battery usage is exactly the same over a day. Its a non issue what percentage it says IMO and not something to go chasing.
I agree, i have been checking mine regually to see what impact it is having on battery life and regardless of what it reports my battery is nearly always the same level of charge when it comes to plugging it in.

skipabeat123

Jun 18, 2020
Give AccuBattery the permissions to see your app usage and you'll probably find the culprit that's *actually* draining your battery pretty fast. You're only going into deep sleep 20% of the time your screen is off, that's a big red flag that something is running in the background.
I have tested this in safe mode and it's still there.

MrBelter

Apr 10, 2011
I agree, i have been checking mine regularly to see what impact it is having on battery life and regardless of what it reports my battery is nearly always the same level of charge when it comes to plugging it in.
Weirdly mine was 55% yesterday and my battery life dropped by 30% in 90 minutes while my phone was just sat there and the phone barely made it though the day with very little use (i was in a cinema for over 2 hours yesterday evening for instance).

I've not noticed this kind of behaviour before but i can not at least understand why people are getting frustrated and linking the 2 together when it comes to bad battery life.

skipabeat123

Jun 18, 2020
Weirdly mine was 55% yesterday and my battery life dropped by 30% in 90 minutes while my phone was just sat there and the phone barely made it though the day with very little use (i was in a cinema for over 2 hours yesterday evening for instance).

I've not noticed this kind of behaviour before but i can not at least understand why people are getting frustrated and linking the 2 together when it comes to bad battery life.
Simply because if you remove your SIM cards you have close to zero phone idle battery drain.

MrBelter

Apr 10, 2011
Simply because if you remove your SIM cards you have close to zero phone idle battery drain.
I'm not sure what that's got to do with my post, if you noticed i quoted myself and was just observing an anomaly, i am assuming mine will go back to normal today with mobile network standby hovering around 40%.

You still have a network connection so the emergency services are available even with your SIM removed.

therock3181

Jun 25, 2010
Montreal
Google Pixel 6 Pro
The problem with accubattery is it doesn't really show you apps that might be stuck in the background that are system apps or specific wakelocls. You can't touch on an app that's listed to get more info or force close anything, so it's really just a bunch of information.

BBS shows a lot of detailed info, but the app is not working properly on A12. At this point I'm accepting that battery life isn't where it should be, even though for two days I managed 48hr standby and I will never know what caused that to happen. I've been trying to replicate it since and can't figure it out.
Use GSAM.

RetroTech07

Apr 24, 2021
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I honestly think this whole "mobile network standby" is overly inflated and incorrect in what it reports.

Last night it says that I used 40% for each individual hour overnight, but had no actual minutes used to where it would have contributed to such a high number. If that were true my phone would be dead by morning.

It also said I used 31% for 4 minutes today, yet my battery level stayed the same.

On my work phone which is a pixel 4a, it says I used a few hours worth with 1% drainage. 🤷‍♂️

Again, I think the number is bogus and incorrectly being reported somehow. It's causing a lot of stress for some people to which they focus on it too much, but I understand for some it can be a legitimate issue.

With the latest February patch it hasn't been as high as I'm used to seeing it, so I'm not sure if that's carrier services or the s/w being improved.

Reactions: therock3181

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Regardless of network standby drain, or any other measurable metric, I find it hard to believe that 5-7 hr SOT isn't satisfactory batt life in the opinion of some.

Would these people be happier if network standby was super low but SOT was less that 7 hours?

I'm not sure why people get so bent about a device they can only use for 5-7 hours before they have to plug it in.

Are people really on their phone 80% of an 8 hour work day? Or are there that many people who don't have access to an outlet or car charger after they leave the house?

Is there some hidden shame to plugging a device in during lunch or a break to add 15% battery life for the longer 10 hr days?

I get those who are nerded out by squeezing absolutely every available SOT minute they can from their device because it's a challenge to them, and they love tweaking every possible component... I was that guy at one time.

To say that a device sucks and isn't worth the price voluntarily paid for it because it doesn't last an entire day without a charge just baffles my mind.

Of course every person is allowed their opinion, for sure. I just don't get the basis behind some of the opinions.
    How can you find your phone satisfactory if you know that the same model for the same price lasts for someone else 30% longer?????? How is this acceptable tell me.
    Battery life is the most subjective topic there is. Take 100 different P6P owners and they'll use their devices 100 different ways. Half of them root, customize, use custom Roms or kernels, and run all sorts of mods.

Then they'll compare their devices battery life and wonder why such a vast difference.

Why do I find mine satisfactory even if someone else's device get better SOT or runs more efficiently?

Because my device's battery lasts much longer than I need it to, it shines in the areas I need it to shine, and I have plenty of access to outlets, a car charger, or a battery pack if needed.

I didn't buy a power supply, a TV , or a boom box... I bought an unlockable, rootable, customizable phone that more than suits my needs, and as an added benefit does a lot of other non-phone things that are cool and fun.

If the P6P isn't your cup of tea, get the device that lasts all day without needing to charge. If your stock device is performing below the level of other's stock devices, snd you usage is identical, I'd get a replacement. If your device is used differently, responds differently than other's whose devices are configured differently, you're basically comparing apples and oranges.

Not to mention these are highly sophisticated, intricately made, and technology packed very compact items. There are bound to be some that get past the QA process.
    Just checked my batt stats and at 60% I have 3:11 SOT, with mobile network standby at 22%.

I regularly get 6 - 7 hours SOT by the time I hit 15-20% batt life remaining.

Seems like pretty good SOT to me.

factory image .36
    rooted
    Despair Kernel
    Your SoT is definitely good enough, but damn man this standby drain is beyond good and evil. To lose roughly a fourth of the battery to a STANDBY drain in 24h is just, well, nuts.

Maybe just to make sure: We are not talking about active drain from using 4G/5G, yes? We are talking about STANDBY drain here in this thread? So we are talking about a phone merely getting a background connection IN CASE the user wants to activate mobile data?

It's clearly either a hardware issue or a software/android 12 bug.

There are also several people on the "official" Pixel community site talking about their P6 Pros and an insane battery drain caused by mobile network standby, one of the threads as an example:

Just to be clear, the 22% network standby isn't 22% of total battery capacity, it is 22% of the 40% of battery capacity I've used.
    I have 55% network standby drain. Mobile network disabled. Anyone want my pixel before I throw it off the roof
    But it's not affecting your battery. Do you really think if that 55% was a problem your phone would still be in your hands and not tossed over the roof?