Question Network standby battery drain exceeding 29% always P6P. Why?

Search This thread

skipabeat123

Jun 18, 2020
As the title says I'm having a problem with network standby battery drain. I've spent countless hours trying to solve this issue without any luck (factory restored 6 times or more, messed around with developer options settings, adaptive battery settings etc. etc.). After contacting Google support they offered me a replacement of my phone and told me that with the new one I won't have this problem. But its still there. Network standby battery drain is consuming 3 times more energy than the screen!!! This is nuts. I'm having enough.
I'm not the only one with this problem. There are many people reporting the same thing. My partner bought Non-Pro P6 and has the same issue. How can a phone for 999€ has such bugs? This is my first Pixel and I think I'm returning it. I'll contact Google support one last time to see if they have a fix.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211122-210805.png
    Screenshot_20211122-210805.png
    274.5 KB · Views: 815

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
As the title says I'm having a problem with network standby battery drain. I've spent countless hours trying to solve this issue without any luck (factory restored 6 times or more, messed around with developer options settings, adaptive battery settings etc. etc.). After contacting Google support they offered me a replacement of my phone and told me that with the new one I won't have this problem. But its still there. Network standby battery drain is consuming 3 times more energy than the screen!!! This is nuts. I'm having enough.
I'm not the only one with this problem. There are many people reporting the same thing. My partner bought Non-Pro P6 and has the same issue. How can a phone for 999€ has such bugs? This is my first Pixel and I think I'm returning it. I'll contact Google support one last time to see if they have a fix.
I just checked my phone, and it says Mobile network standby: 8% (24 hours)

29% definitely feels too much. Can you give more information? Do you live in a 5G area? What's your connection quality? A bad connection can drain the battery faster, maybe you have an extremely weak 5G connection and your phone is draining itself?

The weaker the signal, the harder your phone will try to connect, meaning it will use more power.

Of course this shouldn't happen, even with a bad connection. ~30% battery drain in 24 hours because of STANDBY drain is a joke and terrible.

skipabeat123

Jun 18, 2020
I just checked my phone, and it says Mobile network standby: 8%

27% definitely feels too much. Can you give more information? Do you live in a 5G area? What's your connection quality? A bad connection can drain the battery faster, maybe you have an extremely weak 5G connection and your phone is draining itself?
At work place I have 5g connection and at home it says 4g. The connection here is good. I tried disabling 5g but the outcome as always the same. Insanely high battery drain by network standby.

Opensystem

May 12, 2013
I get high standby drain in by basement with no service, about what you're experiencing with 30% or so. Otherwise it's more like 15%. It probably has to do with the older modem unfortunately.

If you can deal with waiting until you're awake to get push notifications, you can schedule airplane mode at night to save on battery drain. Hopefully it's a temp solution until they can figure out a way to fix it via OTA

skipabeat123

Jun 18, 2020
I get high standby drain in by basement with no service, about what you're experiencing with 30% or so. Otherwise it's more like 15%. It probably has to do with the older modem unfortunately.

If you can deal with waiting until you're awake to get push notifications, you can schedule airplane mode at night to save on battery drain. Hopefully it's a temp solution until they can figure out a way to fix it via OTA
Thanks for the reply. I do not care about the consumption during the night. I work +10h and I cannot rely on this device to get me through the day.

Opensystem

May 12, 2013
Jeeesus. Part of me wonders if Google knew about this stuff and that's why they jammed a 5000mah battery in this thing. I've been debating dropping the 120hz screen down to 60hz to help offset this stuff, but unfortunately after using it, I'm spoiled. Plus there's discussion that there's problems with the implementation of 60hz frequency on top of it.

Really hoping custom kernels and roms can help eventually.

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
Just checked my batt stats and at 60% I have 3:11 SOT, with mobile network standby at 22%.

I regularly get 6 - 7 hours SOT by the time I hit 15-20% batt life remaining.

Seems like pretty good SOT to me.

factory image .36
rooted
Despair Kernel
Your SoT is definitely good enough, but damn man this standby drain is beyond good and evil. To lose roughly a fourth of the battery to a STANDBY drain in 24h is just, well, nuts.

Maybe just to make sure: We are not talking about active drain from using 4G/5G, yes? We are talking about STANDBY drain here in this thread? So we are talking about a phone merely getting a background connection IN CASE the user wants to activate mobile data?

It's clearly either a hardware issue or a software/android 12 bug.

There are also several people on the "official" Pixel community site talking about their P6 Pros and an insane battery drain caused by mobile network standby, one of the threads as an example:

Last edited:

mr_sheen

Feb 8, 2009
Seems to be about what i got. I just realized it was 39% on my last charge cycle.

I was using dual sim though, one physical and one e-sim. The physical one is from my old country as i still only activate it for 2fa only (no roaming, no call, no nothing) and the e-sim is local where i live now (europe).

Im going to try and disable the physical sim when i sleep tonight, and see where it goes in the morning when i wake up. Currently i have 54% charge left, and mobile network standby is using 26% already. Geez. Im working from home so its pretty much all wifi.

skipabeat123

Jun 18, 2020
Your SoT is definitely good enough, but damn man this standby drain is beyond good and evil. To lose roughly a fourth of the battery to a STANDBY drain in 24h is just, well, nuts.

Maybe just to make sure: We are not talking about active drain from using 4G/5G, yes? We are talking about STANDBY drain here in this thread? So we are talking about a phone merely getting a background connection IN CASE the user wants to activate mobile data?

There are also several people on the "official" Pixel community site talking about their P6 Pros and an insane battery drain caused by mobile network standby, one of the threads as an example:

Yes we are talking about standby network battery consumption. Imagine a phone for 999€ where standby network drain sucks 3 times more juice as the display. Pixel 6 Pro.

Az Biker

Sr. Mod / RC-RT Committees / Shred'r of MTBs
Staff member
Regardless of network standby drain, or any other measurable metric, I find it hard to believe that 5-7 hr SOT isn't satisfactory batt life in the opinion of some.

Would these people be happier if network standby was super low but SOT was less that 7 hours?

I'm not sure why people get so bent about a device they can only use for 5-7 hours before they have to plug it in.

Are people really on their phone 80% of an 8 hour work day? Or are there that many people who don't have access to an outlet or car charger after they leave the house?

Is there some hidden shame to plugging a device in during lunch or a break to add 15% battery life for the longer 10 hr days?

I get those who are nerded out by squeezing absolutely every available SOT minute they can from their device because it's a challenge to them, and they love tweaking every possible component... I was that guy at one time.

To say that a device sucks and isn't worth the price voluntarily paid for it because it doesn't last an entire day without a charge just baffles my mind.

Of course every person is allowed their opinion, for sure. I just don't get the basis behind some of the opinions.

Az Biker

Staff member

Just to be clear, the 22% network standby isn't 22% of total battery capacity, it is 22% of the 40% of battery capacity I've used.

skipabeat123

Jun 18, 2020
Regardless of network standby drain, or any other measurable metric, I find it hard to believe that 5-7 hr SOT isn't satisfactory batt life in the opinion of some.

Would these people be happier if network standby was super low but SOT was less that 7 hours?

I'm not sure why people get so bent about a device they can only use for 5-7 hours before they have to plug it in.

Are people really on their phone 80% of an 8 hour work day? Or are there that many people who don't have access to an outlet or car charger after they leave the house?

Is there some hidden shame to plugging a device in during lunch or a break to add 15% battery life for the longer 10 hr days?

I get those who are nerded out by squeezing absolutely every available SOT minute they can from their device because it's a challenge to them, and they love tweaking every possible component... I was that guy at one time.

To say that a device sucks and isn't worth the price voluntarily paid for it because it doesn't last an entire day without a charge just baffles my mind.

Of course every person is allowed their opinion, for sure. I just don't get the basis behind some of the opinions.

How can you find your phone satisfactory if you know that the same model for the same price lasts for someone else 30% longer?????? How is this acceptable tell me.

Az Biker

Staff member
How can you find your phone satisfactory if you know that the same model for the same price lasts for someone else 30% longer?????? How is this acceptable tell me.
Battery life is the most subjective topic there is. Take 100 different P6P owners and they'll use their devices 100 different ways. Half of them root, customize, use custom Roms or kernels, and run all sorts of mods.

Then they'll compare their devices battery life and wonder why such a vast difference.

Why do I find mine satisfactory even if someone else's device get better SOT or runs more efficiently?

Because my device's battery lasts much longer than I need it to, it shines in the areas I need it to shine, and I have plenty of access to outlets, a car charger, or a battery pack if needed.

I didn't buy a power supply, a TV , or a boom box... I bought an unlockable, rootable, customizable phone that more than suits my needs, and as an added benefit does a lot of other non-phone things that are cool and fun.

If the P6P isn't your cup of tea, get the device that lasts all day without needing to charge. If your stock device is performing below the level of other's stock devices, snd you usage is identical, I'd get a replacement. If your device is used differently, responds differently than other's whose devices are configured differently, you're basically comparing apples and oranges.

Not to mention these are highly sophisticated, intricately made, and technology packed very compact items. There are bound to be some that get past the QA process.

Last edited:

skipabeat123

Jun 18, 2020
Battery life is the most subjective topic there is. Take 100 different P6P owners and they'll use their devices 100 different ways. Half of them root, customize, use custom Roms or kernels, and run all sorts of mods.

Then they'll compare their devices battery life and wonder why such a vast difference.

Why do I find mine satisfactory even if someone else's device get better SOT or runs more efficiently?

Because my device's battery lasts much longer than I need it to, it shines in the areas I need it to shine, and I have plenty of access to outlets, a car charger, or a battery pack if needed.

I didn't buy a power supply, a TV , or a boom box... I bought an unlockable, rootable, customizable phone that more than suits my needs, and as an added benefit does a lot of other non-phone things that are cool and fun.

If the P6P isn't your cup of tea, get the device that lasts all day without needing to charge. If your stock device is performing below the level of other's stock devices, snd you usage is identical, I'd get a replacement. If your device is used differently, responds differently than other's whose devices are configured differently, you're basically comparing apples and oranges.

That's all irrelevant. I've been testing my pixel for a day in safe mode and the result was absolutely the same. The network standby was not dropping below 35%. I asked other users to test this too and they had it under 4%.
As I wrote this phone is already a replacement. It seems to be a lottery.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Not to mention these are highly sophisticated, intricately made, and technology packed very compact items. There are bound to be some that get past the QA process.
    Just checked my batt stats and at 60% I have 3:11 SOT, with mobile network standby at 22%.

I regularly get 6 - 7 hours SOT by the time I hit 15-20% batt life remaining.

Seems like pretty good SOT to me.

factory image .36
    rooted
    Despair Kernel

Just to be clear, the 22% network standby isn't 22% of total battery capacity, it is 22% of the 40% of battery capacity I've used.
    That's all nonsense. I've been testing my pixel for a day in safe mode and the result was absolutely the same. The network standby was not dropping below 35%. I asked other users to test this too and they had it under 4%.
    As I wrote this phone is already a replacement.
    If a different opinion is nonsense, you need to surround yourself with others who see things exactly as you do. Then you'll feel validated and happy.

Or buy a phone that works the way you want, for the price you think it's worth, with the options you need most.