Question Network standby battery drain exceeding 29% always P6P. Why?

Search This thread

skipabeat123

Jun 18, 2020

Az Biker

Sr. Mod / RC-RT Committees / Shred'r of MTBs
Staff member
There was literally an article about this before the phone was released, that the P6 is using an Exynos 5123 and that wasn't good. This isn't going to be fixed, its inherent in the modem.
Please post the link to the article you mentioned.

I tried looking this up as I was curious. I couldn't find anything specifically negative on Exynos 5123 modem, in fact, several sites I looked at said it's a great, highly advanced 5G modem.

Batfink33

Please post the link to the article you mentioned.

I tried looking this up as I was curious. I couldn't find anything specifically negative on Exynos 5123 modem, in fact, several sites I looked at said it's a great, highly advanced 5G modem.
Here's the article from before the phone was released ....

The s20 was notorious for bad battery and overheating with the Exynos 990 and the 5123(which is a 1st gen 5g modem). For the s21, Samsung moved the modem onto the SOC which has helped with that. The modem on the P6 is separate from the SOC and is the same as the s20. It's now a few years old tech and inefficient. You're just not going to get good battery life with this modem.

There's even this article

Reactions: PhilipL2021

Az Biker

Staff member
Thanks for the links. These comments are not directed at you or anyone in particular 👍

After reading the articles, this is the statement that best mirrors my experience.

"To be fair, no one is going to surf the web continuously until the battery dies, and our test is not designed to mirror real-world use. In fact, thanks to Google’s Tensor chip and tools like Extreme Energy Saver mode, you should be able to get through most of the day (if not more) on a charge."

The testing this site performance showed the 6 Pro lasted 7.5 hrs with continuous use on 5G, and just over 10 hrs continuous use with 5G disable/LTE selected.

I've hit 7 hours SOT several times on 5G. In my world, this is more than sufficient battery life, regardless of what a smartphone website tells me is "acceptable".

Especially when 95% of users have access to an outlet most of the time.

People would be much happier if they'd just enjoy their devices and stop expecting every new device to be "the" best device in every category :D

Batfink33

Thanks for the links. These comments are not directed at you or anyone in particular 👍

After reading the articles, this is the statement that best mirrors my experience.

"To be fair, no one is going to surf the web continuously until the battery dies, and our test is not designed to mirror real-world use. In fact, thanks to Google’s Tensor chip and tools like Extreme Energy Saver mode, you should be able to get through most of the day (if not more) on a charge."

The testing this site performance showed the 6 Pro lasted 7.5 hrs with continuous use on 5G, and just over 10 hrs continuous use with 5G disable/LTE selected.

I've hit 7 hours SOT several times on 5G. In my world, this is more than sufficient battery life, regardless of what a smartphone website tells me is "acceptable".

Especially when 95% of users have access to an outlet most of the time.

People would be much happier if they'd just enjoy their devices and stop expecting every new device to be "the" best device in every category :D
I don't generally dont notice it tbh and I bought the phone knowing this was the case. I find the throttling and subsequent slow down of the phone annoying at times when I'm on 5g and the phone is struggling but it doesn't ruin the experience completely. Google shouldn't have used this modem but for me personally it's not a deal breaker as I charge my phone regularly during the day.

Reactions: Az Biker

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
I don't generally dont notice it tbh and I bought the phone knowing this was the case. I find the throttling and subsequent slow down of the phone annoying at times when I'm on 5g and the phone is struggling but it doesn't ruin the experience completely. Google shouldn't have used this modem but for me personally it's not a deal breaker as I charge my phone regularly during the day.
Where do you notice specific slow-downs?

In connection speed?

Or do apps start to lag?

Luckily, I'm only in a 4G area and NEVER had any heat/slowdown/throttle problems. I am a bit afraid of 5G because of all those horror stories in this forum :D

Batfink33

In connection speed?

Or do apps start to lag?

Luckily, I'm only in a 4G area and NEVER had any heat/slowdown/throttle problems. I am a bit afraid of 5G because of all those horror stories in this forum :D
I have 5g everywhere locally to me and at times when browsing and listening to Spotify /Twitter etc, the phone goes up over 40deg and starts to thermal throttle and lag etc.

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
I have 5g everywhere locally to me and at times when browsing and listening to Spotify /Twitter etc, the phone goes up over 40deg and starts to thermal throttle and lag etc.
Well that's just ridiculous, considering that it's only some meagre scrolling and listening to music. I'm sorry to hear that. Did you ever force 4G, to see if it's really a 5G issue? Maybe it's just your phone being ****ty, or your setup/software bugged to some degree and you might need a factory reset?

Batfink33

Well that's just ridiculous, considering that it's only some meagre scrolling and listening to music. I'm sorry to hear that. Did you ever force 4G, to see if it's really a 5G issue? Maybe it's just your phone being ****ty, or your setup/software bugged to some degree and you might need a factory reset?
Nah, software is fine etc. Fine on WiFi and generally ok on 4g. It's annoying but 🤷 there's always something with every phone I've ever had.

Az Biker

Staff member

In connection speed?

Or do apps start to lag?

My area has partial 5G coverage, but I regularly visit larger cities that have full blown 5G and I've never experienced a hot, or really warm device) and the speeds you get with 5G are worth finding an outlet halfway through the day :D

Reactions: Batfink33

Saurabh1392

Nov 24, 2021
I'm wondering if we have faulty devices.

The problem with some here is they think they are extra smart and people are obsessed with numbers rather than the actually performance.

The fact is actually battery performance on network and that too only on 4g is disappointing and not normal.

Even if the modem is old it certainly should be able to handle 4g easily if not 5g.

Alekos

Feb 18, 2008
Apps & Games
Google Pixel 3 XL
I'm wondering if we have faulty devices.

The problem with some here is they think they are extra smart and people are obsessed with numbers rather than the actually performance.

The fact is actually battery performance on network and that too only on 4g is disappointing and not normal.

Even if the modem is old it certainly should be able to handle 4g easily if not 5g.
but what if most aren't experiencing this issue? I've never seen my temps higher than 34° - and thats with usually charging in the car, on 5G and on 30+ min video calls. although the temps we get to see on stock is just for battery, it's a decent enough estimate. and 5g isn't good in my area (meaning it changes from 4g/5g)

so I don't know, all I can go by is the pro and non_pro devices we have and what we're experiencing. granted both were wiped and flashed with 0.37 image and "ok google/now playing/aod" is off on both devices/

Saurabh1392

Nov 24, 2021
but what if most aren't experiencing this issue? I've never seen my temps higher than 34° - and thats with usually charging in the car, on 5G and on 30+ min video calls. although the temps we get to see on stock is just for battery, it's a decent enough estimate. and 5g isn't good in my area (meaning it changes from 4g/5g)

so I don't know, all I can go by is the pro and non_pro devices we have and what we're experiencing. granted both were wiped and flashed with 0.37 image and "ok google/now playing/aod" is off on both devices/
That's why i said maybe we have faulty phones. Also it depends on your ambient temperature which is a big factor on deciding your battery temperature.

I've RMA'd my first phone as it was reaching 42C. The replacement isn't any better but a bit cooler i feel. That could very well be the weather as it has dipped by 7-10 since then. So you never know.

However this network standby drain is really bad. It kills the battery as if the capacity of the battery was 3000 mah or something

vmikalinis

Mar 24, 2011
As the title says I'm having a problem with network standby battery drain. I've spent countless hours trying to solve this issue without any luck (factory restored 6 times or more, messed around with developer options settings, adaptive battery settings etc. etc.). After contacting Google support they offered me a replacement of my phone and told me that with the new one I won't have this problem. But its still there. Network standby battery drain is consuming 3 times more energy than the screen!!! This is nuts. I'm having enough.
I'm not the only one with this problem. There are many people reporting the same thing. My partner bought Non-Pro P6 and has the same issue. How can a phone for 999€ has such bugs? This is my first Pixel and I think I'm returning it. I'll contact Google support one last time to see if they have a fix.
I checked my p6 Pro and it's showing 4% mobile standby and I'm barely getting a signal. Are you seeing a lot of data transfer? Maybe an app is doing it?

skipabeat123

Jun 18, 2020
I checked my p6 Pro and it's showing 4% mobile standby and I'm barely getting a signal. Are you seeing a lot of data transfer? Maybe an app is doing it?
It's not an app. I have tested this in safe mode where all apps are disabled. There's no solution. We can only hope for a december update to address this issue.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Regardless of network standby drain, or any other measurable metric, I find it hard to believe that 5-7 hr SOT isn't satisfactory batt life in the opinion of some.

Would these people be happier if network standby was super low but SOT was less that 7 hours?

I'm not sure why people get so bent about a device they can only use for 5-7 hours before they have to plug it in.

Are people really on their phone 80% of an 8 hour work day? Or are there that many people who don't have access to an outlet or car charger after they leave the house?

Is there some hidden shame to plugging a device in during lunch or a break to add 15% battery life for the longer 10 hr days?

I get those who are nerded out by squeezing absolutely every available SOT minute they can from their device because it's a challenge to them, and they love tweaking every possible component... I was that guy at one time.

To say that a device sucks and isn't worth the price voluntarily paid for it because it doesn't last an entire day without a charge just baffles my mind.

Of course every person is allowed their opinion, for sure. I just don't get the basis behind some of the opinions.
    How can you find your phone satisfactory if you know that the same model for the same price lasts for someone else 30% longer?????? How is this acceptable tell me.
    Battery life is the most subjective topic there is. Take 100 different P6P owners and they'll use their devices 100 different ways. Half of them root, customize, use custom Roms or kernels, and run all sorts of mods.

Then they'll compare their devices battery life and wonder why such a vast difference.

Why do I find mine satisfactory even if someone else's device get better SOT or runs more efficiently?

Because my device's battery lasts much longer than I need it to, it shines in the areas I need it to shine, and I have plenty of access to outlets, a car charger, or a battery pack if needed.

I didn't buy a power supply, a TV , or a boom box... I bought an unlockable, rootable, customizable phone that more than suits my needs, and as an added benefit does a lot of other non-phone things that are cool and fun.

If the P6P isn't your cup of tea, get the device that lasts all day without needing to charge. If your stock device is performing below the level of other's stock devices, snd you usage is identical, I'd get a replacement. If your device is used differently, responds differently than other's whose devices are configured differently, you're basically comparing apples and oranges.

Not to mention these are highly sophisticated, intricately made, and technology packed very compact items. There are bound to be some that get past the QA process.
    Just checked my batt stats and at 60% I have 3:11 SOT, with mobile network standby at 22%.

I regularly get 6 - 7 hours SOT by the time I hit 15-20% batt life remaining.

Seems like pretty good SOT to me.

factory image .36
    rooted
    Despair Kernel
    Your SoT is definitely good enough, but damn man this standby drain is beyond good and evil. To lose roughly a fourth of the battery to a STANDBY drain in 24h is just, well, nuts.

Maybe just to make sure: We are not talking about active drain from using 4G/5G, yes? We are talking about STANDBY drain here in this thread? So we are talking about a phone merely getting a background connection IN CASE the user wants to activate mobile data?

It's clearly either a hardware issue or a software/android 12 bug.

There are also several people on the "official" Pixel community site talking about their P6 Pros and an insane battery drain caused by mobile network standby, one of the threads as an example:

Just to be clear, the 22% network standby isn't 22% of total battery capacity, it is 22% of the 40% of battery capacity I've used.
    That's all nonsense. I've been testing my pixel for a day in safe mode and the result was absolutely the same. The network standby was not dropping below 35%. I asked other users to test this too and they had it under 4%.
    As I wrote this phone is already a replacement.
    If a different opinion is nonsense, you need to surround yourself with others who see things exactly as you do. Then you'll feel validated and happy.

Or buy a phone that works the way you want, for the price you think it's worth, with the options you need most.