New Android TV Remote Service

Search This thread

Jarod_

Jul 5, 2010
Hi,

Since Google has deployed the new version of Android TV Remote Service (in September 2021), the old applications are not able to pair anymore with Android TV devices…

Does anyone know if Google has an official documentation on how to pair with the new Android TV Remote Service? If no document exists, do you know any app (other than the ones created by Google) that works with the new service? Or any developers discussions about it?

I was able to reverse-engineering the old protocol, but with this new update I have to restart from scratch…

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

gcc1

Jul 6, 2017
Hi,

Since Google has deployed the new version of Android TV Remote Service (in September 2021), the old applications are not able to pair anymore with Android TV devices…

Does anyone know if Google has an official documentation on how to pair with the new Android TV Remote Service? If no document exists, do you know any app (other than the ones created by Google) that works with the new service? Or any developers discussions about it?

I was able to reverse-engineering the old protocol, but with this new update I have to restart from scratch…

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Yes, Old protocol works. But Android Remote V1 Protocol documentation does not give any info how to send keyboard keys.
Could you please share the Protocol v1 documentation how to send keyboard keys?

Jarod_

Jul 5, 2010
Yes, Old protocol works. But Android Remote V1 Protocol documentation does not give any info how to send keyboard keys.
Could you please share the Protocol v1 documentation how to send keyboard keys?
Everything is already explained in the documentation https://github.com/Aymkdn/assistant...ka-Android-TV)-Remote-Control#step-3-commands

As explained, if you want to send "B" you will use the code 30 : https://developer.android.com/reference/android/view/KeyEvent#KEYCODE_B

gcc1

Jul 6, 2017

Hi,
You are right its explained in the command section. But it only works for NON Keyboard commands like Volume/Channel/Home/Navigation.

It does not work for Keyboard Characters. it only works for numeric keys form 0-9.

For example if I want to send Keyboard Numeric key 3 (KEYCODE_3), Following is the command and it works.
Same format works for volume/mute/home etc. with their corresponding keycodes.
Press
01 02 00 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 09
Release
01 02 00 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 09

Now if I want to send Keyboard Character 'B' (KEYBOARD_B), Following is the command and it does not works.
Nothing appears in the TV Search Box !!
Press
01 02 00 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 1e
Release
01 02 00 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 1e

Though I have seen official android TV App and other 3rd party apps which handles it very well.
The moment search box is opened on the TV, TV's Gboard keyboard gets disappeared and One bottom Banner saying Use the keyboard on your mobile device appears.

Now whatever is typed on the Phone Remote app, it appears on the TV Search box. Do you have any idea what intent is sent to TV to enable this new keyboard which facilitates the typing?

I am attaching the Screenshots how it look like when TV search keyboard disappears and another appears. Pasting the official android app link and other 3rd party link which handles it well.

Official Android TV Remote App

Third Party Remote App

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-31 at 4.12.28 PM (1).jpeg

Gboard Keyboard

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-31 at 4.12.28 PM.jpeg

Keyboard which handles the remote keyboard inputs

[email protected]

Oct 4, 2016
@gcc1 @Jarod_ Thanks for the doc. I was trying to build remote for Android to Android TV. Can u please help how to achieve the same in Java as what i saw in the doc is PHP Code.

Can u help how to achive it in Java.

Sharika_Singh

Jul 21, 2021
India
You can use the Android TV remote to

• Navigate the TV screen.
  • Control media.
  • Turn the TV on or off.
  • Activate the Google Assistant.
  • Change the volume.
  • Enter text to perform searches or enter login information.

Top Liked Posts