New apple CarPlay usb dongle for android headhunts and tablets.

Search This thread

VBA_Dev

Jan 27, 2019
Manchester
I contacted the makers at carlinkitcarplay.com and because I bought it from eBay, they are not interested in offering support. Awful company.

mtoldfield

Jan 7, 2021
Hi all,

I've ended up at this thread from a Google search so hopefully I'm in the right place.

I've recently purchased an Android Auto USB dongle for my Android-based headunit. It's an ADC BMW ID7 headunit running a variant of Android 10. It's a 10.25" wide screen, I'm not entirely sure of the resolution it's running but I'm going to have a bit of a dig through the settings later to see if I can find it.

The dongle I've purchased is an "AutoKit" dongle and runs using the app of the same name. When I connect my Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra running Android 11, it all loads fine but the resolution seems a bit off. It's not bad, per se, but it doesn't seem quite right either. Everything feels either a little bit squashed or a little bit stretched. Text is the main thing I notice this with.

I had a flick through the settings in Android Auto but they seem a bit limited... so I disconnected and had a flick through the settings in AutoKit but couldn't find anything that made it better. There seems to be an option for screen size either "Big" or "Small". It was defaulted to "Small" so I changed it to "Big" but this did nothing. There was another setting, I can't remember exactly what it was called, but it had options of "Fullscreen" or "Original". This was defaulted to "Fullscreen" so I tried changing it to "Original" but this just made the entire screen go blank when plugging the phone in. I could hear my music playing through Android Auto, but I couldn't see anything so I've put this back to "Fullscreen". I think the last setting I tried changing was the first one, "Working Mode" I think it was called. It was defaulted to "Speed" to I changed it to "Fluent" which made no difference. Changed it again to "Compatible" which made it blurrier but otherwise no difference... so I've put it back to the default "Speed" option.

Is there any settings I might have missed where you can potentially set the resolution, or is it potentially a case of having to request specific resolution support from the app developer?

If it's a request to the developer, are there any contact details for the developer? The link provided to download the app was just an IP, port and APK filename so no website to pick details from

I'll dig out some more specific details but any suggestions greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance,
Mike

lew26

Nov 1, 2019
"Genuine" wireless carlink for Android head unit is USD 52.00, i paid USD 55.00.. This is bullshit.. Buyer never knows what is genuine or not in those ebay / aliexpress listening.. All those chinese products looks oem, same thing.. Brick it intentionally during update is ridiculous.. it could just inform that isnt genuine and it wont update..
Devil's advocate. The software on your unit is pirated. Mfg could just block upgrades but no reason why they have to let you continue to use pirated software.

Your real complaint is with ebay and aliexpress.

gamer765

Jan 14, 2009
I contacted the makers at carlinkitcarplay.com and because I bought it from eBay, they are not interested in offering support. Awful company.
They are not obligated to provide you support if you didn't buy it directly from them or an authorized reseller. I would contact your eBay seller for support. One of the many downfalls of purchasing on eBay. It's like buying out of the back of a truck. No way to know where it came from or if it is genuine, stolen, etc. I wouldn't call them awful because of that.

VBA_Dev

Jan 27, 2019
Manchester
There is no way that they don’t sell on to 3rd parties.

It’s still their genuine hardware as far as I know (I’ve updated the firmware several times and it’s not been blocked) the issue is with their autokit software that is downloaded from their website, so the fact they won’t even discuss or ask for a serial or proof that it’s genuine says it all - they couldn’t care less.

I’m in talks with the eBay seller now, and even if I do end up returning the dongle, I probably wouldn’t buy another from carlinkit because of the very poor customer service.

Also, if you check the reviews on their “genuine” Amazon site, it is littered with “dongle has been bricked because it is a knock off”, so how can you actually be guaranteed that any are genuine. The more I read about it, the more it sounds just like poor hardware/software and they just use the “knock off” thing as an excuse to get out of taking responsibility.

gamer765

Jan 14, 2009
There is no way that they don’t sell on to 3rd parties.

It’s still their genuine hardware as far as I know (I’ve updated the firmware several times and it’s not been blocked) the issue is with their autokit software that is downloaded from their website, so the fact they won’t even discuss or ask for a serial or proof that it’s genuine says it all - they couldn’t care less.

I’m in talks with the eBay seller now, and even if I do end up returning the dongle, I probably wouldn’t buy another from carlinkit because of the very poor customer service.

Also, if you check the reviews on their “genuine” Amazon site, it is littered with “dongle has been bricked because it is a knock off”, so how can you actually be guaranteed that any are genuine. The more I read about it, the more it sounds just like poor hardware/software and they just use the “knock off” thing as an excuse to get out of taking responsibility.
You're correct looking at it from that point of view, but if you admit to purchasing it outside of their "official" channels, they have every right to just ignore you, even if it is a legit product. The only way to really play ball with these chinese companies is to get the items direct from them, even then, you'll probably receive minimal support at that. The next step is to be persistent with them, they are quick to dismiss support queries, they'll tell you some bs troubleshooting steps, probably in hopes that you'll get frustrated and give up. Also I would ask them where you can buy the product from officially in order to receive support, at least get that in writing. Honestly, even with the Amazon reviews claiming the genuine units got bricked, they might be knockoffs too, be wary of the seller you purchase from. There's nothing stopping a seller from selling his counterfeit goods under the genuine product listing, they'll sometimes undercut the genuine product by charging slightly cheaper or offering Prime shipping, just to make their listing pop up as default when viewing the listing. Some sellers are aware of this and modify the listing by adding pictures warning customers to be mindful of who the product is sold by to avoid counterfeits. Then there's the good ole planned obsolescence, where the product gets cloned so many times that they purposefully start bricking units, even legit ones in hopes of stopping counterfeits. From a customer standpoint, there's no way of knowing since it'll be a quiet change, a minor hardware refresh, sold with the same name and packaging. This is where they'll oblige support requests of bricked units, so long as you can verify you got it from official sources. They wont ever tell you they purposefully bricked it, they'll just send you a new refreshed unit.

Reactions: VBA_Dev

martr84

Jan 8, 2016
Can anyone tell me if they experience audio lag on phone calls with wireless car-play ?

i'm getting around 2 seconds audio delay so you either end up talking over each other or the other person thinks you've gone away.

I've just bought another carlin-kit dongle in a hopes that my one was a early version of it, but its exactly the same audio delay on phone calls.

I've tried a zbox 2 dongle and that seems okay for audio lag but you can't map steering wheel controls like you can with auto-kit.

Thanks

Martin.

lew26

Nov 1, 2019
I'll sometimes order from ebay and aliexpress. Unless I'm ordering from an official mfg store I always assume my real warranty is the later of ebay/aliexpress satisfaction time or credit card charge back time limits.

PP had issues with carlink not assisting with ebay purchasers, they have the right. Assume a China mfg wanted to work with you. Cost to ship the item to China, delay of weeks (best case) and possible charge for shipping back means value of warranty is low.

VBA_Dev

Jan 27, 2019
Manchester
I get that they can’t verify it’s a legit dongle because it’s from an eBay seller, but I didn’t ask for a replacement or even say there was a hardware issue. I was telling them about 2 software glitches in autokit that they should look at and fix..

lew26

Nov 1, 2019
I get that they can’t verify it’s a legit dongle because it’s from an eBay seller, but I didn’t ask for a replacement or even say there was a hardware issue. I was telling them about 2 software glitches in autokit that they should look at and fix..
You asked for support. They don't offer any support to customers who bought from eBay. You don't like it. I understand your point BUT carlink is entitled to enforce their policy.

I suggest you deal with your ebay seller.

VBA_Dev

Jan 27, 2019
Manchester
I understand what you saying, but I didn’t ask for support really. I told them about a bug within their software. It’s up to them if they want to fix it or not, but the attitude I got back from them because I bought from eBay was unwarranted. I was genuinely not aware that you had to buy from their “official” store, but regardless, I was only telling them of a glitch - end of. Didn’t ask them to troubleshoot it, just informing them. The app still works, it’s just a startup glitch.

The eBay seller is the standard non English speaking type, that doesn’t really understand tech, never-mind android as they are telling me to set the app as “trusted” which from all of my searches only applies to installing apps from unknown sources which I had to do in the first place to install the software. So that’s going nowhere.

Im not bothered anymore, I’m keeping the dongle as it works, but the software is not the best.

mtoldfield

Jan 7, 2021
Hi all,

I've ended up at this thread from a Google search so hopefully I'm in the right place.

I've recently purchased an Android Auto USB dongle for my Android-based headunit. It's an ADC BMW ID7 headunit running a variant of Android 10. It's a 10.25" wide screen, I'm not entirely sure of the resolution it's running but I'm going to have a bit of a dig through the settings later to see if I can find it.

The dongle I've purchased is an "AutoKit" dongle and runs using the app of the same name. When I connect my Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra running Android 11, it all loads fine but the resolution seems a bit off. It's not bad, per se, but it doesn't seem quite right either. Everything feels either a little bit squashed or a little bit stretched. Text is the main thing I notice this with.

I had a flick through the settings in Android Auto but they seem a bit limited... so I disconnected and had a flick through the settings in AutoKit but couldn't find anything that made it better. There seems to be an option for screen size either "Big" or "Small". It was defaulted to "Small" so I changed it to "Big" but this did nothing. There was another setting, I can't remember exactly what it was called, but it had options of "Fullscreen" or "Original". This was defaulted to "Fullscreen" so I tried changing it to "Original" but this just made the entire screen go blank when plugging the phone in. I could hear my music playing through Android Auto, but I couldn't see anything so I've put this back to "Fullscreen". I think the last setting I tried changing was the first one, "Working Mode" I think it was called. It was defaulted to "Speed" to I changed it to "Fluent" which made no difference. Changed it again to "Compatible" which made it blurrier but otherwise no difference... so I've put it back to the default "Speed" option.

Is there any settings I might have missed where you can potentially set the resolution, or is it potentially a case of having to request specific resolution support from the app developer?

If it's a request to the developer, are there any contact details for the developer? The link provided to download the app was just an IP, port and APK filename so no website to pick details from

I'll dig out some more specific details but any suggestions greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance,
Mike

To follow on from this post, I have found that my headunit has a 1280x480 resolution display.

I had an update available on the Autokit app the other day which has fixed the issue with the "Image Scale" options. If I select "Original", then it displays more how I would expect it to... but it has large black borders to the left and right... so a decent chunk of the screen is unusable. If I select "Fullscreen", then it just stretches it wide.

While its not terrible, it's obviously a stretched image. I've added two photos to show the difference. Apologies they're from a slight distance, I couldn't get my phone any closer without unplugging it.

I have found this thread on the official Android Auto forums that suggest 1280x480 is definitely possible, it just needs the manufacturer to implement it... so if I'm understanding it correctly, this means the AutoKit app needs to support that resolution. https://support.google.com/androidauto/thread/8844203?hl=en

I have also discovered how to enable the developer options in Android Auto. The screen resolution options here do not make a difference. Well, always use 480p makes it worse... but allow up to 720p, 1080p or allow negotiation does not make a difference.

Does AutoKit support this resolution? If yes, how can I select it or is there a specific version I need to install? If no, how can I request it?

I am currently running AutoKit version 2021.01.08.1651 and box firmware version 2020.10.27.1239.

It seems this is a relatively common resolution as I've found detail of various units that run this... so it seems reasonable for the app to include this support.

Thank you,
Mike

Attachments

• 20210117_161724.jpg
    20210117_161724.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 168
  • 20210117_161805.jpg
    20210117_161805.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 166

sev

Aug 23, 2006
anyone want to buy my carlinkit wireless adaptor, its a genuine one. I switched to zbox2 and no longer need the carlinkit. PM me.

I am based in California.

chrjs2k

Aug 8, 2018
Hi,
i have a carlinkit usb wireless dongle for Android Head Unit and some issues when I get a call it crashes CarPlay.
I have update info that a upgrade for the dongle is available but I cannot download it by car.
My firmware is from 28th Feb. 2020.
Can anyone can help me with the newest Auto_Box_Update.img please.

Thx
Chris

joker_yss

Jan 10, 2021
Hi,
i have a carlinkit usb wireless dongle for Android Head Unit and some issues when I get a call it crashes CarPlay.
I have update info that a upgrade for the dongle is available but I cannot download it by car.
My firmware is from 28th Feb. 2020.
Can anyone can help me with the newest Auto_Box_Update.img please.

Thx
Chris

I'm having the same issue on my Eonon head unit. Just started today and I don't thing my Android Auto app updated in the past 2 days. No clue why this is happening.

EDIT: Android auto is still working with HUR app when connected to the non-dongle USB port.

Last edited:

Maxim Kraev

Dec 3, 2010
I'm having the same issue on my Eonon head unit. Just started today and I don't thing my Android Auto app updated in the past 2 days. No clue why this is happening.

EDIT: Android auto is still working with HUR app when connected to the non-dongle USB port.

The same thing, AA is crashing (phone soft reboots) only with the dongle (tried different HUs and Raspberry running android). HUR, AA compatible HUs are working fine with the phone, also tried different phones and cables, same behavior only crashes if the carlin-kit box is used. Bought the dongle from the official Aliexpress store.

Vischo-X

Jan 25, 2021
SCL
Same here.
I use wired Carplay, and when in a call, I see that Carplay tries to use the incorporated mic in the dongle, which is in my glove box; I must pick the phone, select the bluetooth call audio source and then I can continue with the call, this for every single call. Any way to set the default to the bluetooth mic?

Larzouz

Jan 25, 2021
The same thing, AA is crashing (phone soft reboots) only with the dongle (tried different HUs and Raspberry running android). HUR, AA compatible HUs are working fine with the phone, also tried different phones and cables, same behavior only crashes if the carlin-kit box is used. Bought the dongle from the official Aliexpress store.
Hi,
same here my xiaomi redmi note 8 pro works perfectly with HU but when connected to carlinkit it keeps rebooting.
my dongle comes from official store not counterfeit.
i will try with more phones when I can ...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [WHT DONGLE] Current App Build & Firmware

I think tat seines there is quite a few people checking on this thread and that there are no CLEAR instruction; accept from the half baked English ones from the seller / retailer that, again, make no sense. I have decided to make a quick explanation and instruction guide on " How Too Upgrade " the app and firmware.

If anyone also know where the latest firmwares can be obtained other than out of date sales sites then replay to this post and ill update it.

Current APK Build: 2018.06.20.1338

Current Firmware Build: 2018.06.26.1620

InApp Firmware Update (for my self) Isn't working

Anyone with the ZBox Version wanting to give directions on installing then be my guest.

WHITE DONGLE

1:- First head over to the links provided for the latest known working Autoplaybox APK & firmware and download them to a pc or laptop:

apk
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/na44v3r5z3....1634.zip?dl=0

Firmware
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/00mba8i97r...pdate.zip?dl=0

If you download the APK from the links above then this is the entry APK into the in app updating in which you can then update the app within the app its self. It also give you the option to update the firmware also how ever the " null - unstable network connection " bug currently happens

2:- Once downloaded you will need a USB 2.0 thumb stick, reformat it just for good measures and then move the files on to the USB 2.0 thumb stick. You will need to unzip the files if you follow the links provided above.

I found that when the retailers and Chinese sellers state that you need to install the firmware VIA a U-Disk then what they actually mean is a USB 2.0 thumb drive. Through experience I was trying to update the firmware using a USB 3.0 thumb drive and it didn't work.

3:- After moving your downloaded files to your USB 2.0 thumb stick, eject the USB 2.0 thumb stick from your computer and move to your android head unit in your car. Start your car so the head unit turns on and move to the next step.

4:-Uninstall the Autoplaybox you currently have installed and connect your USB 2.0 thumb stick into a USB port and locate the APK you downloaded. Install and don't open Autoplaybox. You will need to locate your files again on your USB 2.0 thumb stick, remove the APK and keep the update image on the Thumb stick.

5:- Remove your USB 2.0 thumb stick, open the AutoPlayBox BUT do not connect the dongle just yet.

6:- Take your dongle and connect your USB 2.0 thumb stick into the USB port on the dongle.

7:-Once USB 2.0 thumb stick ix connected to your dingle, connect the dongle and USB 2.0 thumb stick combo into a usb port on your head unit.

As the dongle is powered; in the app you will then see the APK build & firmware on screen, then in yellow text you will see "Dont unplug U-Disk until update has finished. Shortly after you will see green text stating the update was successful. Then your all set.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    New update out today for app and box, fix for iOS 13 music stuttering fix included in the change log
    Bare with me guys I’ve got the latest apk and firmware for the white dongle. I will upload now.

Firmware
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/00mba8i97rh50sr/Auto_Box_Update.zip?dl=0

apk
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/na44v3r5z3x4amx/AutoPlayBox_UI5_2018.05.02.1634.zip?dl=0

I did not test yet! This was supplied by the Chinese seller. Test at your own risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I finally managed to download the latest updates (apk and firmware) of the white dongle, dated 20180518. Last firmware removes the annoying "use this USB" dialog that came up every single time the dongle was attached.
    You can find them here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9ytsotykluvl2if/AAACg9oAR43aZwX3_XL3rWEua?dl=0

Enjoy!

Made a new video showing how to update and in the description there is the link for any updates for the dongle.

If you get a black screen go into android settings, car settings, and enable watching video while driving! It might be blocked by default!