General New Battery Test Result

Search This thread

Virgo_Guy

Sep 11, 2012
🧐
Google Pixel 6a
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Haha.. ok :) Sounds good :D

Anyway.. whats the secret of 6+ hrs of SOT?
Why just 6+? Aim for big.

Uninstall, disable, use FHD, use 60 hz, use only Wi-Fi, stare at the screen for hours using YouTube, use only one Email Id, don't use location service, don't use cloud services, use power saving, use single Sim, disable mobile data... Voila! you get more than you're asking for.
Basically use it as a feature phone. It's a secret sauce not everyone has the courage to eat.

ffp.

Oct 6, 2011
I saw this little quote on the web and it fits with what people are saying about 5g being a battery hog. Not using any special apps for battery management . There are plenty available though. Just do a search on Google.

You may notice that your phone's battery drains faster than usual while you are connected to a 5G network. This is a limitation of the current 5G networks, and will be improved as the networks expand.
We don't have 5G in my country yet (only some tourist areas), so I stay at 4G. The same applies? Does 4G consumes way more than wifi?

ffp.

Oct 6, 2011
Why just 6+? Aim for big.

Uninstall, disable, use FHD, use 60 hz, use only Wi-Fi, stare at the screen for hours using YouTube, use only one Email Id, don't use location service, don't use cloud services, use power saving, use single Sim, disable mobile data... Voila! you get more than you're asking for.
Basically use it as a feature phone. It's a secret sauce not everyone has the courage to eat.
Not at all. If you read the thread you will see that me and OP have 120 Hz, location always on, I leave BT on, etc. We are basically doing the very minimim to keep battery lasting without losing any performance.

@bat0nas , i will recommend first trying to understand what is consuming more energy. Take a look at your usage and see if there is an app sucking all your battery.

Reactions: Paul_Deemer

Paul_Deemer

Sep 21, 2017
Greenville, SC
We don't have 5G in my country yet (only some tourist areas), so I stay at 4G. The same applies? Does 4G consumes way more than wifi?

Does Wi-Fi Consume More Battery Power Than 3G or 4G/LTE?​

By Mitch Bartlett 9 Comments

Phone geeks have argued about whether or not Wi-Fi consumes more battery power than 3G or 4G/LTE since the birth of the modern smartphone. Some will swear that Wi-Fi is the only way to go. Others say that leaving Wi-Fi off and connecting to the 3G or 4G wireless network works best. But, no matter which side of the fence you’re on, both Wi-Fi and 3G/4G can be considered better or worse for precious battery life depending on the situation.

Most devices automatically shut 3G and 4G off when they are connected via Wi-Fi. When connected to a Wi-Fi network, the device will consume significantly less battery power. It’s especially true with 4G, since the technology consumes a large amount of power.

bat0nas

Feb 23, 2009
Vilnius
I have 47 apps configured to deep sleep.

Game Launcher settings - stock. But I changed to Battery Saving just in case.

I have tons of social apps and movie apps installed. But all of them are in deep sleep and background data usage off.
Uinstalled FB app. Let's if I can live with browser.

I have BT ON (smartwatch), Location ON (but I will try turn it on off with bixby routines).

ffp.

Oct 6, 2011

Does Wi-Fi Consume More Battery Power Than 3G or 4G/LTE?​

By Mitch Bartlett 9 Comments

Phone geeks have argued about whether or not Wi-Fi consumes more battery power than 3G or 4G/LTE since the birth of the modern smartphone. Some will swear that Wi-Fi is the only way to go. Others say that leaving Wi-Fi off and connecting to the 3G or 4G wireless network works best. But, no matter which side of the fence you’re on, both Wi-Fi and 3G/4G can be considered better or worse for precious battery life depending on the situation.

Most devices automatically shut 3G and 4G off when they are connected via Wi-Fi. When connected to a Wi-Fi network, the device will consume significantly less battery power. It’s especially true with 4G, since the technology consumes a large amount of power.

I see. Makes sense, 4G is always changing towers. 8 hours is a very good SoT, though.

Do you know your screen off discharge?

burnin

Jan 24, 2013
I still can't understand how you all get 6, 7 or 10 hours of SOT.
I went through all the guides and disabled every nonsense, configured bixby routines to go to power saving in certain situations etc.. And still at the end of the day I'm close to zero battery with just 3-4 hours of SOT at best.

Are you just watching youtube the whole day connected to wifi or what? No LTE? No BT? No Location? Low brightnes? No games? No camera?

And I'm not blaming S22 Ultra. That happened to every Galaxy Note I had in the past (no more than 3-4hrs of SOT).
I have the same feelling! Note user since 2013 and never got that type of SOT. I bought a 1400€ phone so i use it as it is, 5G, BT, GPS allways on because thats why i want a flagship. I use the 120HZ optimized screen. O just remove FB app because its not that important for me! Never i had > 3 hours SOT NEVER EVER!

Paul_Deemer

Sep 21, 2017
Greenville, SC
I have the same feelling! Note user since 2013 and never got that type of SOT. I bought a 1400€ phone so i use it as it is, 5G, BT, GPS allways on because thats why i want a flagship. I use the 120HZ optimized screen. O just remove FB app because its not that important for me! Never i had > 3 hours SOT NEVER EVER!
Removing the Facebook app ain't that big of deal. Ain't much different accessing it from the browser. The only thing different is you won't have your phone blowing up everytime a new notification comes in and there a whole lot less ads. Otherwise I am using the phone as is with 120hz Adaptive just FHD instead of 2k.

Last edited by a moderator:

ffp.

Oct 6, 2011
I do keep those on all day and still got 8h+ SoT. Anything less than 5h SoT is weird, unless of course, you stay those 3-4 hours recording videos or doing something that suck up battery a lot.

Try to find out what is consuming your battery, because that is not a normal SoT. Post your usage.

Paul_Deemer

Sep 21, 2017
Greenville, SC
I do keep those on all day and still got 8h+ SoT. Anything less than 5h SoT is weird, unless of course, you stay those 3-4 hours recording videos or doing something that suck up battery a lot.

Try to find out what is consuming your battery, because that is not a normal SoT. Post your usage.
Looks like he might be in Europe and have the Exynos version based on the currency sign he used instead of dollar sign?

Reactions: burnin

Rubby1025

Mar 18, 2022
Dallas/Ft Worth
The Exynos is crap I agree with that. Your probably the first I have seen using two active Sims so yeah that gonna really horrible battery life.
In addition, Google hides the processing details of lower level services/tasks from everyone in the name of "security". So what you don't see is the incredible amount of processing being chewed up extracting your info and sending it to various servers.

DuckDuckGo's app tracking feature really opened up my eyes to this type of churn inside of Android. It's a feature!

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20220617-122046_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    SmartSelect_20220617-122046_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 123
Reactions: Slade8525

ffp.

Oct 6, 2011
Looks like he might be in Europe and have the Exynos version based on the currency sign he used instead of dollar sign?
Still. I had 2 exynos phones (not S22 line) and they weren't like this. Less than 3 hours is very weird. If it was me, I would try to look what is sucking all the battery.
Definitely not just because "oh boy, it's exynos".

Reactions: alan_uk84

Paul_Deemer

Sep 21, 2017
Greenville, SC
Still. I had 2 exynos phones (not S22 line) and they weren't like this. Less than 3 hours is very weird. If it was me, I would try to look what is sucking all the battery.
Definitely not just because "oh boy, it's exynos".
Even with Exynos less than 3 hours is insane! Something is going on. Weak battery, hacked and bit coin mining behind the scenes or some weird ass crap. Get the battery monitor app and find out what's killing you like that.

bat0nas

Feb 23, 2009
Vilnius
Yes mine is also with Exynos chip. Yep that's how Samsung treats the old continent.
I will post my battery stats* after the normal day**.

*List of apps in Device Care->Battery is enough or should I use some app?

**By normal I mean a day without lot's of gaming, Android Auto or Waze. Just the usual stuff (browsing, email, messaging and youtube).

Paul_Deemer

Sep 21, 2017
Greenville, SC
Yes mine is also with Exynos chip. Yep that's how Samsung treats the old continent.

**By normal I mean a day without lot's of gaming, Android Auto or Waze. Just the usual stuff (browsing, email, messaging and youtube).
Accubattery seems like a good app for more details. I don't use any but that seems like one of the highest rated.

Virgo_Guy

Sep 11, 2012
🧐
Google Pixel 6a
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Yes, Portugal, Europe, Exymos here on dual SIM with two SIM card allways on (Personal and work)

In the S22 series, Exynos and Snapdragon have very similar batterylife as shown in the test below: ( starts at 4:29 )

On a side note, I've had 2 simcards always active for several years now - >> with S22 Ultra and its predecessors. S22U has worse batterylife than several of them despite of it being a Snapdragon and predecessors with Exynos SoC.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I went through all the guides and disabled every nonsense, configured bixby routines to go to power saving in certain situations etc.. And still at the end of the day I'm close to zero battery with just 3-4 hours of SOT at best.

Are you just watching youtube the whole day connected to wifi or what? No LTE? No BT? No Location? Low brightnes? No games? No camera?

And I'm not blaming S22 Ultra. That happened to every Galaxy Note I had in the past (no more than 3-4hrs of SOT).
    I don't think the problem is with SOT ,the problem is with standby,you can keep using the phone continuously and get 7 hrs or so of screen on time,but what's the standby drain if not used,also do note that samsung battery chart looks incorrect if you tap on the blue boxes individually and add up the time it will show a different working time than what battery stats show

I don't think the problem is with SOT ,the problem is with standby,you can keep using the phone continuously and get 7 hrs or so of screen on time,but what's the standby drain if not used,also do note that samsung battery chart looks incorrect if you tap on the blue boxes individually and add up the time it will show a different working time than what battery stats show
    It always has been a problem with Standby with Samsung phones. Do not expect phenomenal battery with Samsung in general. I have been using them since S4, skipped 3 generations and moved to S8. You need to baby sit the phone to reduce the standby drain to less than 1%/hr. Samsung wants us to use our phones continuously :)
    This is correct. I also realized, i wonder if they are aware of this.