New contacts won't sync names

Search This thread

scottjal

Sep 28, 2012
I have had the phone for a while now but suddenly new contacts I create one the phone won't save the contact name. All other details like phone, email and phonetic name will save fine. When that happens the name is stored as "nullnull". I'm not sure if it's related as I didn't notice it right away but I updated to 23.0.1.A.5.77 a while back.

I use Fruux for contact sync and am using their sync app. In Fruux I can see the contact fine showing "no name" and adding a name there saves fine, then syncing the change to the phone works fine and now I can see the name in the phone.

Things I have done:
-Deleted fruux sync account on phone and in fruux
-Deleted fruux app
-Wiped phone cache using the volume up and power button trick. I did get the three vibrates but not sure that did anything as the phone booted right in quick and I didn't see it rebuilding app data.
-Installed the Fruux app
-Made a new sync account in fruux and added that to the phone, brought in all contacts fine.
-Made another new fresh contact, again the name didn't save.

scottjal

Sep 28, 2012
Looks like it's Sony's problem, I installed another contacts app and I don't have problems saving the name to new contacts.

allofmex

Jan 13, 2012
Looks like it's Sony's problem, I installed another contacts app and I don't have problems saving the name to new contacts.

I confirm, it's Sony problem. (see https://davdroid.bitfire.at/faq/entry/sony-contact-editor-problems/)

Background: It seems to affect all Sync Adapter. In case you are using a CardDav Server (maybe NextCloud or Baikal) together with a CardDav Sync Adapter app (for example DAVdroid or CardDAV-Sync): If you add a new contact using stock Contacts app, the name you enter in the fullname field will NOT be saved. It appears as "nullnull" or empty or others in your carddav server. The name gets LOST, so its useless. (It seems to work sometimes if you add the names in the seperate firstname/lastname fields, but thats not a solution because its easily forgotten)
Seems, it's fixed in recent devices/updates (Tablet Z4 on Android 7.0 works correct). But this will not help owner of older devices (my Z1compact is affected, Tablet Z, Z3compact seems too).
Only know solution is, as mentioned before, using a third party contacts app that IS NOT using the systems "add contact" dialog (!). (many are using the system dialog, than you have the same problem)
I use True Phone Dialer & Contacts. It brings its own "Add Contacts" dialog, fullname is handled correctly. (I'm using SyncAdapter opensync, almost same as DAVdroid, but you can select more than only one adressbook per server (I don't get this limitation in DAVdroid :( ) )

---------- Post added at 10:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 AM ----------

Only know solution is, as mentioned before, using a third party contacts app
Here an instruction how to replace Sonys stock contacts app (root needed!):
  1. Choose you third party phonebook/contacts app (as mentioned before I tested it with True Phone Dialer & Contacts). Test that is is not using stock dialog (add a contact, the dialog where you add name/phone/email should look different then if you add it from stock app).
  2. (maybe not needed: go to Android settings -> apps -> Contacts and clear "Open by default" settings for stock app)
  3. Connect to phone by adb (should work in a terminal app too)
    Code:
    su
    mount -o rw,remount /system
    mv /system/priv-app/Phonebook/Phonebook.apk /system/priv-app/Phonebook/Phonebook.apk.bak
    mount -o ro,remount /system
  4. Reboot phone
Stock contacts app should not be visible anymore in app drawer, so you cannot accidentally use the wrong app, choose your new app as "use always" when you are asked next.
In case of problems (and maybe before you update Android), just rename Phonebook.apk.bak back to Phonebook.apk .