New design on case. Cracks no more!!!

Search This thread

spikegotti

Mar 31, 2009
St. John
www.facebook.com
lol my phone dropped many times, in my patio, off the bar onto my hard tiled floor, and on the street once, also fell many times from my desk, not one single crack...so the question still lies, whats causing these cracks?

commodoor

Mar 8, 2008
Venlo
my first crack was after 5 months i dropped my phone in the bus :p the whole left side is now broken completly i had to click it back in and the chrome has a crack now also. the left side isn't strong enough its very thin and when you open the back cover you have to be very carefull to not brake it. so if you don't open the back cover so much you will not be having a crack (i think).

But i'm happy with my x1 and i love the design.

poetryrocksalot

Dec 4, 2008
Anaheim
It is two pictures of two old xperia phones. One pic that i found on this forum and one that i shoot of mine, with the new case, in almost the same angel so it would be easy to see the difference.

It amazes me that you cant see the rounded corner in the middle of the lower picture :rolleyes:

wow, now that you mentioned this, I finally noticed that my entire device is about to break! Wow the crack on mine is terrible. I don't think after 1 month that my device will last.

Should I ship it in for repair? I kind of don't want to as I hate shipping items for repair.

Now I understand why it is so easy for me to open the battery cover...it used to be extremely hard...it's because the entire thing is cracking.

Last edited:

YYYYY

Sep 29, 2006
Tunis
I have the new design but I got a crack, it took a little bit longer until it cracked but the result is the same.

orelsi

Jan 1, 2009
my first crack was after 5 months i dropped my phone in the bus :p the whole left side is now broken completly i had to click it back in and the chrome has a crack now also. the left side isn't strong enough its very thin and when you open the back cover you have to be very carefull to not brake it. so if you don't open the back cover so much you will not be having a crack (i think).

But i'm happy with my x1 and i love the design.

I'm opening it at least 5 times every day.

wow, now that you mentioned this, I finally noticed that my entire device is about to break! Wow the crack on mine is terrible. I don't think after 1 month that my device will last.

Should I ship it in for repair? I kind of don't want to as I hate shipping items for repair.

Now I understand why it is so easy for me to open the battery cover...it used to be extremely hard...it's because the entire thing is cracking.

Lol...........

Paitor

Apr 20, 2007
Gothenburg
I have the old design.

I have dropped mine more than 10 times. 3 of them hard falls. Not a crack or a scratch on it. I use it all the time, in my pocket, on the desk, in my hand, etc.
Have your battery cover and battery fallen off? Because I have a theory that it is the battery that was wrenched out and damaged the case. This happened for me the second time anyway. But I couldn't see anything then. Maybe the crack grew later on.

jjm34

Apr 2, 2009
Well, so much for the new case :rolleyes:.

I dunno, should I send it in for repair or just try not to care about the crack for now? :/

Attachments

• crack.jpg
    crack.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 363

poetryrocksalot

Dec 4, 2008
Anaheim

I dunno, should I send it in for repair or just try not to care about the crack for now? :/

Mine is brokwn everywhere along the entire strip. If you raelly care about your device, then you have to repair it because it will break and the battery cover will not fit anymore and it will always detach.

souljaboy

Apr 30, 2009
Strange that the "new" redesigned case has date of manufacture -> 08w39 and the "old" cracked one is -> 08w44... Could it be that they knew it all the time that these cracks will be happening, but instead of mass recall the "cracky" cases they sold all of that saying "What will be will be...." :confused::eek:

i have the "old" design and not a single problem with it

DatDereX1

Mar 4, 2009
You are a lucky man. Please tell my how you do it. Is your phone always lying on a pillow on your desk with a bluetooth headset connected to it? Have you not even once dropped it 2 decimeters onto a soft rug?
lol

it's in my pocket most of the day, in this case
http://www.fortte.com/206/Sony-Ericsson-XPERIA-X1-leather-case/
resizeImage.php

dropped it a couple times when it was in the case

mine is 09w10. what was your old one? maybe they also changed the material with newer ones

orelsi

Jan 1, 2009
Have your battery cover and battery fallen off? Because I have a theory that it is the battery that was wrenched out and damaged the case. This happened for me the second time anyway. But I couldn't see anything then. Maybe the crack grew later on.

That is a pretty interesting theory. My cover comes off every time I drop it. I think that is nice, because it absorbs some of the energy of the impact. Maybe it was designed to come off when dropped lol?

It depends. If you think that it threatens the intehrity of the whole device, then you should repair it, like poetryrocksalot says. If it is not that dangerous, then you shouldn't care. It's a device for everyday use that will be changed eventually. No point of getting all worked up about it :).

commodoor

Mar 8, 2008
Venlo

I think your right the battery caused the crack on mine the whole left side was almost ripped off. I had to click it back in and the crack looks the same as jjm34

Attachments

• DSC00932.jpg
    DSC00932.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 95

Paitor

Apr 20, 2007
Gothenburg
lol

it's in my pocket most of the day, in this case
http://www.fortte.com/206/Sony-Ericsson-XPERIA-X1-leather-case/
resizeImage.php

dropped it a couple times when it was in the case

mine is 09w10. what was your old one? maybe they also changed the material with newer ones
Well, probably a case is one solution of the problem. No offence but to me it is too geeky with a case and i will never use one.
I think your right the battery caused the crack on mine the whole left side was almost ripped off. I had to click it back in and the crack looks the same as jjm34
So a second solution can be too super glue the battery and the cover to the phone ;)

commodoor

Mar 8, 2008
Venlo
So a second solution can be too super glue the battery and the cover to the phone ;)

I don't think that its a smart idea to glue your battery and cover.

I think there isn't a solution they have to come with a new design that is stronger and without design faults. this is a good lesson for them and I hope they will make better ones in the future.

steve_jjones

Dec 2, 2008
My xperia has the same crack on the back, and I'm thinking of sending back to sony ericsson. Do sony ericsson charge to repair this? Is it covered by the warranty? I've heard stories of them charging you to get your phone back, etc.

I sent it back to the phone shop I got my xperia from (phones4u in the UK), and they said it wasn't covered by warranty.

Paitor

Apr 20, 2007
Gothenburg
My xperia has the same crack on the back, and I'm thinking of sending back to sony ericsson. Do sony ericsson charge to repair this? Is it covered by the warranty? I've heard stories of them charging you to get your phone back, etc.

I sent it back to the phone shop I got my xperia from (phones4u in the UK), and they said it wasn't covered by warranty.
Well it should be coverd. Send it to a sony ericsson service center instead for the shop you bought it from. They earn money on this so they will gladly take it and charge SE for the repair.

indoxperiax1i

Nov 12, 2009
xperia x1 is still cracking

Well it should be coverd. Send it to a sony ericsson service center instead for the shop you bought it from. They earn money on this so they will gladly take it and charge SE for the repair.

Dont buy xperia x1 mobile phone .
it has major designing defect up till now. x1 phones are constantly craking all over country. i m from india. i have bought a x1 phone just week ago 09W42 batch and get cracked at battry compartment just 2nd day of purchase. i have reached the nearest service center and asking him that have u information about xperia crack they told me ..."NO" we havent recive such type of complain then i told him .. go to google search and just type : "xperia crack" result is in figure 1250000 web pages showing xperia crak in .31 sec.. one thing is that evry and each crack on mobile looks similar and same place and almost same type. the main region where x1 get cracked is
1. battry compartment
2. near volume controle
3. stylus region.
4 near camera lense
sony erricsion service center teling me that plastic case of phone not comes with warrynty so we cant do anything more. so u have to buy a new plastic case and also at this time we have nothing. so wait for some time with this faulty set and enzoy the xperia like costly set. but i m sure if there is no soltion for me then im not leaving sony ericson eaisly. after all this is not my or anyother xperia users fault. xperi are cracking even in normal and safe use. i m trully speeking.
in my view there are some points that why xperia is still cracking....
1. use of low quwality of plastic.which can not tollerate the heat genereted by processor.
2. faulty mechanical design of battry compartment which is not match with metal back cover. metals expand on heating and they exert pressure on hole designe.
so any one who are thinking to buy x1 please read it befor purchase and also search on googl,, what experts are saying.. now its all about xperia.. thanx a lot

Attachments

• Photo-0123_e1.jpg
    Photo-0123_e1.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Photo-0122_e2.jpg
    Photo-0122_e2.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 45

Paitor

Apr 20, 2007
Gothenburg
Dont buy xperia x1 mobile phone .
it has major designing defect up till now. x1 phones are constantly craking all over country. i m from india. i have bought a x1 phone just week ago 09W42 batch and get cracked at battry compartment just 2nd day of purchase. i have reached the nearest service center and asking him that have u information about xperia crack they told me ..."NO" we havent recive such type of complain then i told him .. go to google search and just type : "xperia crack" result is in figure 1250000 web pages showing xperia crak in .31 sec.. one thing is that evry and each crack on mobile looks similar and same place and almost same type. the main region where x1 get cracked is
1. battry compartment
2. near volume controle
3. stylus region.
4 near camera lense
sony erricsion service center teling me that plastic case of phone not comes with warrynty so we cant do anything more. so u have to buy a new plastic case and also at this time we have nothing. so wait for some time with this faulty set and enzoy the xperia like costly set. but i m sure if there is no soltion for me then im not leaving sony ericson eaisly. after all this is not my or anyother xperia users fault. xperi are cracking even in normal and safe use. i m trully speeking.
in my view there are some points that why xperia is still cracking....
1. use of low quwality of plastic.which can not tollerate the heat genereted by processor.
2. faulty mechanical design of battry compartment which is not match with metal back cover. metals expand on heating and they exert pressure on hole designe.
so any one who are thinking to buy x1 please read it befor purchase and also search on googl,, what experts are saying.. now its all about xperia.. thanx a lot
What you should say is. Don't by in India because there is for some reason weaker guarantee there. I had my phone in on guarantee three times here in Sweden, they were used to this problem and took it right away.

Was your service center owned by SE or was it an independent company?

indoxperiax1i

Nov 12, 2009
india

What you should say is. Don't by in India because there is for some reason weaker guarantee there. I had my phone in on guarantee three times here in Sweden, they were used to this problem and took it right away.

Was your service center owned by SE or was it an independent company?

authorised service center by sony erricson..