New Fingerprint Sensor does not work after Screen Replacement

Search This thread

diebelsalt

Nov 23, 2008
I have replaced the broken screen of my Oneplus 8T (KB2003), where I have used a screen already attached to a new frame including the fingerprint sensor from AliExpress. The delivered screen with frame etc. looked exactly like the original one. This means I actually just had to switch over all parts inside the device. The phone is not rooted (never was) and still uses the stock recovery.

Now, everything works, except the fingerprint sensor. In Android 13 (Oxygen OS 13) the icon of the fingerprint appears on the screen, but the fingerprint is neither recognized nor there is a vibration. I already tried the following things:
  • delete all pins and fingerprints and reboot in Android 13
  • delete all pins and fingerprints in safe mode and reboot in Android 13
  • wipe all data (in the stock recovery)
  • factory reset
  • downgrade to Android 11 (via local install of the zip), here an error appears if I try to register a new fingerprint: "Error during fingerprint registration, please try again"
  • delete all pins and fingerprints and reboot in Android 11
  • delete all pins and fingerprints in safe mode and reboot in Android 11

Now the interesting part comes: If I boot the device with the old fingerprint sensor connected (Android 11 or 13), and switch to the new one while the phone is running, everything works. This means I can use the fingerprint of the new screen, register new fingers etc. with the new sensor. Once I reboot the phone, it does not work any longer.

Does anyone have an idea what I could try to be able to use the new fingerprint sensor even after a reboot? Thank you!

Rootk1t

Jun 2, 2013
Does anyone have an idea what I could try to be able to use the new fingerprint sensor even after a reboot? Thank you!
I suppose it's done for safety measures.
It seems there is some fingerprint sensor check validity is happening on boot.
If it's recognized as factory one, it works, if not it doesn't.
In your case you were just hotswapping sensors on running android, so the check doesn't detect it, but on boot, it detects non original one.

diebelsalt

Nov 23, 2008
That would be a pity.

Yesterday I have removed the original fingerprint sensor from the broken display. I did some pictures:
IMG_20230108_211630.jpg

IMG_20230108_211654.jpg

Interestingly, also the small black part located between the actual sensor and the silver part at the cable (first picture) has a small transparent window in the screen.

Now I am considering removing my new screen from the repaired phone and try to exchange the fingerprint sensor. Actually, I wanted to avoid this and bought the display already attached to a (new) frame. At least it would be interesting whether there is an obvious difference between both sensors.

Rootk1t

Jun 2, 2013
Now I am considering removing my new screen from the repaired phone and try to exchange the fingerprint sensor. Actually, I wanted to avoid this and bought the display already attached to a (new) frame. At least it would be interesting whether there is an obvious difference between both sensors.
Thanks for information.
Keep us updated on this case.

JedidroidX

Jan 30, 2015
I would use the msm tool as this would restore to original factory setting and write new partition data according to your hardware. This may register the new fingerprint sensor as authentic and would be calibrated during first boot. It's worth a try, I doubt it would work any other way. You can find msm tools all over xda! Good luck getting it to work!

npmt96

Mar 8, 2020
I have replaced the broken screen of my Oneplus 8T (KB2003), where I have used a screen already attached to a new frame including the fingerprint sensor from AliExpress. The delivered screen with frame etc. looked exactly like the original one. This means I actually just had to switch over all parts inside the device. The phone is not rooted (never was) and still uses the stock recovery.

Now, everything works, except the fingerprint sensor. In Android 13 (Oxygen OS 13) the icon of the fingerprint appears on the screen, but the fingerprint is neither recognized nor there is a vibration. I already tried the following things:
  • delete all pins and fingerprints and reboot in Android 13
  • delete all pins and fingerprints in safe mode and reboot in Android 13
  • wipe all data (in the stock recovery)
  • factory reset
  • downgrade to Android 11 (via local install of the zip), here an error appears if I try to register a new fingerprint: "Error during fingerprint registration, please try again"
  • delete all pins and fingerprints and reboot in Android 11
  • delete all pins and fingerprints in safe mode and reboot in Android 11

Now the interesting part comes: If I boot the device with the old fingerprint sensor connected (Android 11 or 13), and switch to the new one while the phone is running, everything works. This means I can use the fingerprint of the new screen, register new fingers etc. with the new sensor. Once I reboot the phone, it does not work any longer.

I have same issue like you, do you know how to fix it?

yantarium

Jul 18, 2023
Guys, I have the same problem on 1 + 8. But only I did not buy a separate sensor, but found a donor with a deceased motherboard and inserted my motherboard into the case....

$i1ic0nt3rm1t3

Feb 19, 2016
I can confirm that the fingerprint sensor is bound to the motherboard. I purchased a lot of 50 OnePlus 8 model IN2017 and IN2019. Through the process of replacing screens on the devices I was required to transfer over the fingerprint sensor in order to maintain functionality. I have tried the MSM tool to restore functionality to 4 of the devices that had a clipped fingerprint flex and had new sensors installed but have not had any success. Looks like OnePlus pulled a page straight out of the Apple anti-repair playbook here gentlemen. It is a pain to transfer over the FP flex but found the easiest method on the models listed above is after the screen and backglass is removed, remove the sub-board assembly cover and board itself (at the bottom of the phone), unscrew the 2 screws holding down the USB C connector and carefully lift it out of the way by using a spudger on top of the vibration motor, lastly remove the vibration motor by lifting it out with a size 1 flathead screwdriver from the two connector contacts (very easy to damage if lifted from anywhere else). Some isopropyl will aid lifting out the vibration motor and finally you can lift out the fingerprint sensor (also attached with strong TESA type adhesive). Heat is not a great idea when removing the fingerprint reader as it can kill the sensor if you get to warm; a thin razor can lift the corner furthest away from the exposed sensor (top left) and let the isopropyl do the heavy work for you. There must be software or a hidden menu that will allow you to bind a replacement fingerprint sensor to the motherboard; if anyone has details on a process to do this please post a follow up!

MADt3k

Jul 20, 2009
Roaming
Nexus 7
Nexus 7 (2013)
I replaced the screen on my 8t. Kept the old subframe, original fingerprint reader, no problems.
You can supposedly use the diagnostic menu on 13 to calibrate, I haven't tested. Can get to it via root and "activity launcher" app or similar

$i1ic0nt3rm1t3

Feb 19, 2016
The calibration will not work if you have replaced the original sensor as I stated above. The phone does not "see" the original sensor because it is bound to the motherboard ID. The calibration will work fine under diagnostics, but as soon as you attempt to register a fingerprint the phone acts as if you never touch the screen. The same will also apply if you damage the original sensor with heat or other mechanical stress.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I can confirm that the fingerprint sensor is bound to the motherboard. I purchased a lot of 50 OnePlus 8 model IN2017 and IN2019. Through the process of replacing screens on the devices I was required to transfer over the fingerprint sensor in order to maintain functionality. I have tried the MSM tool to restore functionality to 4 of the devices that had a clipped fingerprint flex and had new sensors installed but have not had any success. Looks like OnePlus pulled a page straight out of the Apple anti-repair playbook here gentlemen. It is a pain to transfer over the FP flex but found the easiest method on the models listed above is after the screen and backglass is removed, remove the sub-board assembly cover and board itself (at the bottom of the phone), unscrew the 2 screws holding down the USB C connector and carefully lift it out of the way by using a spudger on top of the vibration motor, lastly remove the vibration motor by lifting it out with a size 1 flathead screwdriver from the two connector contacts (very easy to damage if lifted from anywhere else). Some isopropyl will aid lifting out the vibration motor and finally you can lift out the fingerprint sensor (also attached with strong TESA type adhesive). Heat is not a great idea when removing the fingerprint reader as it can kill the sensor if you get to warm; a thin razor can lift the corner furthest away from the exposed sensor (top left) and let the isopropyl do the heavy work for you. There must be software or a hidden menu that will allow you to bind a replacement fingerprint sensor to the motherboard; if anyone has details on a process to do this please post a follow up!