• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

New Fire HD10 2019 Bootless Root Method + Bootloader Unlock Brainstorming

Search This thread

tsupatsupa

Aug 2, 2021
I have Fire HD 10 9th gen with 7.3.1.2 firmware.

I'm able to get to bootrom after removing the battery. How do I proceed to downgrade the firmware to 7.3.1.0? I have the files but not sure how to flash the device.

Kramar111

Feb 16, 2014
Near Center of Ukraine
@tsupatsupa
@Syco54645
and some posts between

Reactions: Syco54645

Syco54645

Jun 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
splra.org
@tsupatsupa
@Syco54645
and some posts between
Thanks, I am still foggy on this process though. I have both of those downloaded but I am unsure of the steps to get to the point of using them. The thread seems to be full of people trying things and reporting what works and that is what is causing my confusion.

Best I can tell
Remove Battery
Plug device in
Use SP flash to clear the Preloader
Use kamakiri to complete the downgrade

Reactions: StonedEngineer97

Michajin

Oct 23, 2012
Thanks, I am still foggy on this process though. I have both of those downloaded but I am unsure of the steps to get to the point of using them. The thread seems to be full of people trying things and reporting what works and that is what is causing my confusion.

Best I can tell
Remove Battery
Plug device in
Use SP flash to clear the Preloader
Use kamakiri to complete the downgrade
OK, open the device
disconnect battery connector (remove the tape piece)
plug device in
Seems you have to dc battery to access bootrom, but you cant write to emmc without the battery connected, when you connect to battery, it goes into preloader. We wiped the preloader then you can stay in bootrom and flash...

Reactions: Syco54645

Syco54645

Jun 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
splra.org
I can't remember seems like I wiped it with a command. @k4y0z might know
Thanks. It seems I get no life out of the tablet after disconnecting the battery and then plugging it in. I have tried both Linux and Windows. I am much more familiar with Linux so not really sure how to check in windows but in Linux dmesg shows nothing when I plug it in. Curious if I need to power it on first or something, granted I held the power button and it didnt work.

Michajin

Oct 23, 2012
Thanks. It seems I get no life out of the tablet after disconnecting the battery and then plugging it in. I have tried both Linux and Windows. I am much more familiar with Linux so not really sure how to check in windows but in Linux dmesg shows nothing when I plug it in. Curious if I need to power it on first or something, granted I held the power button and it didnt work.
Then you probably don't have access. It was limited to the first few months of production. You need to have bootrom access to do anything. Think it was before January 2020

k4y0z

Nov 27, 2015
What version of SP Flash should we be using? I found version 6.2124.00 but when I try to format the preloader it errors with "Please select flash xml before operation"

I can't remember seems like I wiped it with a command. @k4y0z might know

While I haven't tested every version, probably any version that uses a scatter file and doesn't require an XML will do.
I'd suggest going with a version 5.x.

Then you probably don't have access. It was limited to the first few months of production. You need to have bootrom access to do anything. Think it was before January 2020

As @Michajin already said, the prerequisite for any of the modifications is access to brom DL-Mode.
Linux is the preferred OS for running the bypass or kamakiri, it does however require a patched Linux kernel https://github.com/amonet-kamakiri/prebuilt-kernels or FireISO.

Checking access to bootrom DL Mode doesn't require the patch and can be confirmed via lsusb on Linux:
Code:
0e8d:0003 MediaTek Inc. MT6227 phone

Reactions: Kramar111

daveaspy

Jun 3, 2011
I've been following this thread to try and recover an unmodified HD10 which was stuck on the fire boot logo but I fear the eMMC is dead. Using recovery I get errors when trying to do factory reset as /cache cannot be mounted - makes me think the storage is corrupt?

I have the MT6227 phone device, finally cleared the preloader with SP Flash tool (after pulling the battery), but did get some intermittent errors about STATUS_STOR_LIFE EXHAUST as I was trying to get this to work. Then I tried gpt-fix which seemed to work ok. bootrom-step.sh said rpmb looked broken but I continued and that all went ok but was no closer to getting me a booting device (back in recovery I still have the cannot mount cache issue)

When I've tried to do these steps again, gpt-fix starts up ok but fails at "flashing GPT" because emmc_write() is giving "device failure". Could the eMMC really be dead? Is there any hope for this device??

greenlndr

Feb 11, 2011
I feel really dumb because I can't even install UsbDk_1.0.22_x64.msi It opens but quickly closes. Able to get everything else going. Running python main.py results in:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\bypass\main.py", line 3, in <module>
from src.exploit import exploit
File "C:\bypass\src\exploit.py", line 2, in <module>
from serial.serialutil import SerialException
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'serial'

Tried on my old laptop, same thing. Both Win10 64.

My Fire HD 10 is on 7.0/PS7318/1957N, just want to get rid of the awful Amazon entirely and put custom recovery and standard android.. Any chance of me doing that, without cracking the case open? Screens already broken, it won't survive the surgery. :p

Michajin

Oct 23, 2012
I feel really dumb because I can't even install UsbDk_1.0.22_x64.msi It opens but quickly closes. Able to get everything else going. Running python main.py results in:

Tried on my old laptop, same thing. Both Win10 64.

My Fire HD 10 is on 7.0/PS7318/1957N, just want to get rid of the awful Amazon entirely and put custom recovery and standard android.. Any chance of me doing that, without cracking the case open? Screens already broken, it won't survive the surgery. :p
No chance, unless you bought it prior to january 2020. If you got it prior to that you can get temp root, but not unlock. There is no unlock, custom recovery, or custom rom. Just a temp root, which cannot modify the system partition.

greenlndr

Feb 11, 2011
No chance, unless you bought it prior to january 2020. If you got it prior to that you can get temp root, but not unlock. There is no unlock, custom recovery, or custom rom. Just a temp root, which cannot modify the system partition.
Oh it's from 2019, for sure. Should I just try to run SP Flash Tool and flash maverick-downgrade-7.0_PS7310_940N? I can't get bypass_utility-v.1.4.2 to work.

Michajin

Oct 23, 2012
Oh it's from 2019, for sure. Should I just try to run SP Flash Tool and flash maverick-downgrade-7.0_PS7310_940N? I can't get bypass_utility-v.1.4.2 to work.
You have to get into the bootrom to downgrade. Volume (+or- sorry it's been a while) and power worked on 7.3.1.0, 7.3.1.1, and possibly 7.3.1.2. run lsusb verify you see mediatek phone. What os are you on? After 7.3.1.2 you have to disconnect the battery to get into bootrom and connect it to flash emmc.

Top Liked Posts