New front camera (Omnivision OV13B10) doesn't connect with custom Q, on RN8

Search This thread

Elinx

Jan 5, 2015
Redmi Note 8
Redmi Note 10 Pro
UPDATE:
temblor55 has made a Magisk patch for this problem, which he posted on 18 september::

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-3y1CR6nfVhFYf9VpE11FXOmDEQl5VMt/view

Pat57 has confirmed that it works for him.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I have a RN8 from 11-2020 board ID 3.29
Instead of the usual Omnivision OV13855 frontcam, there is a new version OV13B10 inside.
This camera sensor is also installed in later Redmi phones

This new version works OK with Miui 11.0.11 -A9, and higher
Custom A11 rom's will problably work also all with this frontcam (I tried CrDroid 7.4 -A11 with succes)

But I can't find a custom A10 rom that can connect to this frontcam.
Always get the message "can not connect to camera"
Because of speed, stability and more development, I prefer a A10 custom rom (Resurrection Remix)

I think it isn't the Xiaomi FW, so maybe it could be the kernel.
I have tried the updated 2021 -A10 roms and A10 kernels without succes.
So problably it is about missing libs inside rom.

Is there a way to find these libs in a A11 custom rom or Miui rom and add them inside A10 rom?
I don't want to deep dig in it, because A11 will be the future solution.
But development on A11 rom's is fast ongoing, so there are bugs which some are irritating.
So if someone could give a direction, I will be thankfull

Last edited:

loopypalm

Jul 8, 2016
Osaka
I have a RN8 from 11-2020 board ID 3.29
Instead of the usual Omnivision OV13855 frontcam, there is a new version OV13B10 inside.
This camera sensor is also installed in later Redmi phones

This new version works OK with Miui 11.0.11 -A9, and higher
Custom A11 rom's will problably work also all with this frontcam (I tried CrDroid 7.4 -A11 with succes)

But I can't find a custom A10 rom that can connect to this frontcam.
Always get the message "can not connect to camera"
Because of speed, stability and more development, I prefer a A10 custom rom (Resurrection Remix)

I think it isn't the Xiaomi FW, so maybe it could be the kernel.
I have tried the updated 2021 -A10 roms and A10 kernels without succes.
So problably it is about missing libs inside rom.

Is there a way to find these libs in a A11 custom rom or Miui rom and add them inside A10 rom?
I don't want to deep dig in it, because A11 will be the future solution.
But development on A11 rom's is fast ongoing, so there are bugs which some are irritating.
So if someone could give a direction, I will be thankfull
I had similar problem, but i don't think it's not from the libs, it's a "persist" thing
restore "persistbak" and flash it (or if you already have a recovery backup of persist just restore it)

Last edited:

Elinx

Jan 5, 2015
Redmi Note 8
Redmi Note 10 Pro
.... i don't think it's not from the libs, it's a "persist" thing
restore "persistbak" and flash it .....
No, I think it has nothing to do with the persist partition.
Because I have flashed several different rom's and kernels and found that only Miui and A11 custom does recognize the selfiecam
If the persist partition was corrupted, this wasn't possible.
Because FW is from Miui, it could be the kernel or rom.

A lot of A10 custom roms are EOL, they are build with the original early hardware drivers/libs
From 11-2020 PCB-ID 3.29 the camsensor is changed and the RN8 was also almost EOL.
In september 2020 the first A11 build came out and at the end of 2020 more and more builds.
So I assume most developers don't even think about updating the kernel or libs on their "old" A10 versions.

Inside the screenshots of the app "Device info HW" you see the 19 supported cams of CrDroid 7.4 and only 17 on RR 8.6.7

Attachments

• RR867_camera_Device_Info_HW.jpg
    RR867_camera_Device_Info_HW.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 46
  • CrDroid_camera_Device_Info_HW.png
    CrDroid_camera_Device_Info_HW.png
    231.3 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

loopypalm

Jul 8, 2016
Osaka
No, I think it has nothing to do with the persist partition.
Because I have flashed several different rom's and kernels and found that only Miui and A11 custom does recognize the selfiecam
If the persist partition was corrupted, this wasn't possible.
Because FW is from Miui, it could be the kernel or rom.

A lot of A10 custom roms are EOL, they are build with the original early hardware drivers/libs
From 11-2020 PCB-ID 3.29 the camsensor is changed and the RN8 was also almost EOL.
In september 2020 the first A11 build came out and at the end of 2020 more and more builds.
So I assume most developers don't even think about updating the kernel or libs on their "old" A10 versions.

Inside the screenshots of the app "Device info HW" you see the 19 supported cams of CrDroid 7.4 and only 17 on RR 8.6.7
yes, on paper the problem sounds like it has nothing to do with persist
but as stupid as it sound ,it just worked ! (restoring persist) + latest stable A10 fw

devs didn't update the port because it just worked, and i heard it's a hard thing to mess with ...

Elinx

Jan 5, 2015
Redmi Note 8
Redmi Note 10 Pro
...... as stupid as it sound ,it just worked ! (restoring persist) + latest stable A10 fw

devs didn't update the port because it just worked, and i heard it's a hard thing to mess with ...
For who has worked this? Have you one or more links to it?
I had read already the guides for restoring, but because all sensors does work I'm a bit holding back.
I like to read first some experiences with this, before I touch the persist partition.

loopypalm

Jul 8, 2016
Osaka
For who has worked this? Have you one or more links to it?
I had read already the guides for restoring, but because all sensors does work I'm a bit holding back.
I like to read first some experiences with this, before I touch the persist partition.
link to what ?
i had similar problem on my 128 variant and asked help in RR TG group (group is deleted by rodrigo) rr official dev is always offline, so rr users moved to milestone by zhan (which is miles better)
"all sensor work fine except camera"
nobody have idea and no dev support, so i try lot of things
and flashing latest A10 fw and restore persistbak + clean flash of RRos + 16 kernel are the last things i did and it worked

if you have orangfox do a backup of persist ,so if anything goes wrong you can just restore it

Elinx

Jan 5, 2015
Redmi Note 8
Redmi Note 10 Pro
link to what ?
i had similar problem on my 128 variant and asked help in RR TG group (group is deleted by rodrigo) rr official dev is always offline, so rr users moved to milestone by zhan (which is miles better)
"all sensor work fine except camera"
nobody have idea and no dev support, so i try lot of things
and flashing latest A10 fw and restore persistbak + clean flash of RRos + 16 kernel are the last things i did and it worked

if you have orangfox do a backup of persist ,so if anything goes wrong you can just restore it
Ok I will try after backup
Which RN8 batch have you? Which camera didn't work?

Elinx

Jan 5, 2015
Redmi Note 8
Redmi Note 10 Pro
... batch ? i have ginkgo 6/128
the error was "can't connect to camera" (i guess,both front and back since i can't do anything while that error is apearing)
The batch date 11-2020 is the phone with problems.
First the problem with FW 12.01. This is the only phone that can't be flashed with that version. If you did with twrp, you had a brick.
Second the HW change of the selficam. I have seen I'm not the only one with Andoid Q "not connecting" to this specific cam.
On LOS 17 topic a saw there is a formel bug report published about this issue
I can use all other cams without problems. The error is only with selfiecam and A10. Not with Miui and not with A11.
That is why I think of a missing driver.

I read something about adding missing drivers, but think it isn't easy.
Also I understand that the vendor image contains the hardware drivers.
So trying kernels only hasn't influence on HW changes
I can imagine that A11 custom uses also later vendor images, that's why these roms work with selficam.
Next question would be.
Are vendor images for Ginkgo intechangable?

Last edited:

loopypalm

Jul 8, 2016
Osaka
That is why I think of a missing driver.

have you tried A10 latest stable FW ? (it has updated drivers in it)

Are vendor images for Ginkgo intechangable?

as far as i tested(A10), they are all almost the same, except for some roms have some carrier overlays and BT in it and other have them in system
also audio mods and enhancement, some roms have it and other don't

Elinx

Jan 5, 2015
Redmi Note 8
Redmi Note 10 Pro
have you tried A10 latest stable FW ?....
as far as i tested(A10), they are all almost the same, except for some roms ...
Yes I have the latest stable FW. First I thought that these contains the HW drivers.
But reading, I learned that with latest Android versions all drivers are inside vendor image.
That is why updating FW and kernel doesn't make any difference for RR.

Because of all brick/EDL troubles I'm being carefull what I flash.
I have made for now a twrp backup of vendor and efs partition.
The persist parttion must be backup with adb or terminal
My phone is still an empty phone so I can format data and so on.

I saw that Miui vendor files are downloadable.
The latest Global is 11.0.11

Last edited:

loopypalm

Jul 8, 2016
Osaka

loopypalm

Jul 8, 2016
Osaka
Dit you flash the complete vendor.img from another A10 rom?
or replaced the 3 vendor files inside the rom's?
i flashed a rom (Don't remember the name) and i did a mess in vendor ,so instead of reflashing, i restored a recovery backup of vendor of an older rom (AEX) that was on my SD

of course error like app x stopped working popped off,so this is not a fix
this is just a crazy suggestion to test the compatibility of the drivers

also test this cam :
it has updated libs
maybe it will work

Last edited:

Elinx

Jan 5, 2015
Redmi Note 8
Redmi Note 10 Pro
Thank you, I surely want to try this Magisk mod file, but the file isn't accessible without requist.
Maybe you have your reasons for that, but in that case it isn't possible to download.
I have tried to comment this with the video too, but you have disabled comments there.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts