New G6 H870DS Arrived (and it's good) - My First Impressions...

Search This thread

Harooshum

May 2, 2016
Hi everyone, I bought the H870DS unlocked from China to the UK and wanted to share my initial findings. S8 would have been nice but decided on the G6. My research into which model to get offline led me to the H870DS for it's more fuller features - I don't particularly need 2 sims but it's nice to have if needed.

* 64gb storage - as I understand it, most countries around the world or even all single sim models have 32.
* I'm LOVING this 18:9 shape, easy to hold and having plenty screen real estate is lovely to use, especially web pages and text as more content can be seen vertically.
* Screen to body ratio.
* Build quality and feel of the device.
* Flat screen (as opposed to the s8\s8+) is nice to use and to install screen protectors.
* I'm delighted to discover I do indeed have... QUAD DAC I thought only the G600(x) models had this?! But I do and I'm happy.
* Lightweight OS, closer to pure Android than I expected, no bloatware / only minimal extras.
* That wide-angle camera!! :victory:
* Built-in email app is excellent for using multiple email accounts, better than my old Xperia and no need to use third party.
* Fingerprint scanner works just fine.

Dislikes:
* Doesn't pick up 5ghz Wifi networks :rolleyes: which shocked me but not the end of the world. Online searching revealed others with this issue and there's a way to bring back 5ghz capabilities for the G5 (and some other non-LG devices) but nothing about the G6. Maybe this is an H870DS thing but if anyone knows a way to get 5ghz I'd appreciate it.
* Only used the camera briefly and so far disappointed with the lower light snaps. I'm looking into how to use the more advanced and manual settings.
* Typing fast is less accurate than my old Xperia. I'll look into alternative keyboards.
* Still at 7.0.
* Factory restore - In all my Android devices I've been able to encrypt the internal storage just before doing a factory restore, but I can't find a way to do this on my G6 - Only to encrypt the external SD card - again if I'm missing something let me know.
* I don't think I have wireless charging (only American models), I'm unable to test, but I really don't mind.
* LG has not added any HDMI capabilities this time, no MHL or Slimport. Fair enough I can use a Chromecast or Miracast etc, but cable'd video out would be nice for me.

I look forward to unlocking the bootloader and rooting and custom ROMS when these things become more established. Anyway thanks for reading!

h.

ted presley

Jun 12, 2007
Ho Chi Minh city
Hi everyone, I bought the H870DS unlocked from China to the UK and wanted to share my initial findings. S8 would have been nice but decided on the G6. My research into which model to get offline led me to the H870DS for it's more fuller features - I don't particularly need 2 sims but it's nice to have if needed.

* 64gb storage - as I understand it, most countries around the world or even all single sim models have 32.
* I'm LOVING this 18:9 shape, easy to hold and having plenty screen real estate is lovely to use, especially web pages and text as more content can be seen vertically.
* Screen to body ratio.
* Flat screen (as opposed to the s8\s8+) is nice to use and to install screen protectors.
* I'm delighted to discover I do indeed have... QUAD DAC I thought only the G600(x) models had this?! But I do and I'm happy.
* Lightweight OS, closer to pure Android than I expected, no bloatware / only minimal extras.
* Built-in email app is excellent for using multiple email accounts, better than my old Xperia and no need to use third party.

Dislikes:
* Doesn't pick up 5ghz Wifi networks :rolleyes: which shocked me but not the end of the world. Online searching revealed others with this issue and there's a way to bring back 5ghz capabilities for the G5 (and some other non-LG devices) but nothing about the G6. Maybe this is an H870DS thing but if anyone knows a way to get 5ghz I'd appreciate it.
* Only used the camera briefly and so far disappointed with the lower light snaps. I'm looking into how to use the more advanced and manual settings.
* Typing fast is less accurate than my old Xperia. I'll look into alternative keyboards.
* Still at 7.0.
* Factory restore - In all my Android devices I've been able to encrypt the internal storage just before doing a factory restore, but I can't find a way to do this on my G6 - Only to encrypt the external SD card - again if I'm missing something let me know.
* I don't think I have wireless charging (only American models), I'm unable to test, but I really don't mind.
* LG has not added any HDMI capabilities this time, no MHL or Slimport. Fair enough I can use a Chromecast or Miracast etc, but cable'd video out would be nice for me.

I look forward to unlocking the bootloader and rooting and custom ROMS when these things become more established. Anyway thanks for reading!

h.
I have 2 notes:

- My G6 have 5ghz wifi connection, I think it's up to your router? My router support n mode (2.4ghz) and ac mode (5ghz). And I connect to both wifi

- About the keyboard, try Gkeyboard (previously Google keyboard). It works flawlessly on LG G6.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my LGM-G600K using Tapatalk

jonhdoe11112

Feb 20, 2009
Very interesting... could you please verify the Dutch language is supported in the H870DS?
I'm a bit worried about the wifi, the specs says it supports 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac + MIMO. Could you please check another 5 ghz router?
Thanks!

Kukubski

Oct 31, 2012
There might be a bug with 5GHz WiFi on LG G6.
I have noticed the phone was not seeing my 5GHz wlan at home. After restarting the G6 it was able to connect to 5GHz wlan again.

mprovi_15

Dec 7, 2015
It is very different to the H870? I have been searching a bit and I have seen that there are some different network frequencies, have you got any problems with connectivity?

gpat_XDA

Dec 20, 2009
I'm European (living in Italy) and i need a dual sim top-end smartphone. I've been considering the new G6 and I could get it for a fair price on eGlobalCentral.
Is the GPS working fine in the UK or does it need any configuration? Is there any Chinese bloatware or anything that would look out of place for European use? Thank you.

pomponazzo

Nov 18, 2014
Bordeaux
OPPO Find X3 Pro
Non ti preoccupare Gpat.
I bought a taiwanese H870DS from Eglobal, it arrived in four days from UK, the GPS works just fine here in France, there's no bloatware at all, nothing in chinese and no exotic stuff. Molto soddisfatto!

Reactions: Natakranta

dalmm

Jul 24, 2011
I was thinking order G6 DS bit some people had bad experience with eGlobal..where is the best buy store in Europe to buy?

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

dieterhaack

Dec 7, 2010
Moto Z3 Play
Huawei P30 Pro
where is the best buy store in Europe to buy?
The H870DS is not officially sold in Europe, so there are only several Chinese online shops (standalone, or on Ebay) which offer this device, using an European warehouse. Almost all of those have a bad reputation, because your expectations do not match the fact, that you are buying *not* from European sellers. Delivery time, no legal warranty, no LG warranty, sending in for repair to LG Center will take some efforts.

Last edited:
Reactions: dalmm

simomusic8

Jun 22, 2017
Dislikes:

Have you solved it ?

Mapantz

May 26, 2014
Bournemouth
warehamwx.co.uk
I have the H870DS and I have no issues with 5Ghz at all. g/n and a/n/ac are enabled on my router. You could try changing your routers wireless settings to a compatibility mode of b/n/g and a/n

sionyboy

Jul 27, 2010
Cardiff
Just want to chip in and say my G6 arrived today from eglobal central, h870ds. Like you it wont see 5g wifi networks which is a bit odd. Has anyone found a solution?

Going to install lg bridge later to see if theres a newer softwarw update than is available via OTA.

Jean335

Jun 23, 2017
Just a quick question...Is this DS model running 100% stock official firmware? Did anyone get any OTA updates?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

* Screen to body ratio.

Dislikes:
    * Still at 7.0.

h.
    My new H870DS arrived yesterday. Paid £323 from eglobal, and arrived in a week (as specified).

So far I'm absolutely blown away by what a bargain this is; £126 less than the Oneplus 5!

A few initial thoughts:

- Screen is awesome
    - In spite of the size, it's not awkward to use at all
    - Camera has been incredible so far
    - There is absolutely no bloatware, as far as I can tell. A few LG apps but haven't been prompted to do anything with them.
    - Quad DAC is indeed present, although have to admit it doesn't sound as good as my HTC 10
    - No issues getting LTE (on 3UK)
    - Had none of the problems others experienced with 5ghz wifi networks (yet)
    - Root would be nice, but frankly LG's skin is pretty lightweight and I haven't found any annoying apps I want to remove as yet (which is basically all I used it for in the past) so will certainly get over it

Very happy customer so far!
    H870DS arrived today from bravobuy.co.it
    3 factory reset so far (once from settings and twice from boot (power+vol-down))
    but I cannot see any 5Ghz network (and I can see 4 of them with my Nexus5x)
    Now I have to go back to work, but I guess tomorrow I'll have to open a RMA

Had the same issue with my new 870ds with 5g wifi once I put in a sim card they appeared straight away.
    Just an update. I did a factory reset last night and the phone is now picking up 5g wifi. Not sure what happened there.
    Very interesting... could you please verify the Dutch language is supported in the H870DS

There is Dutch language on hd870ds