New generation 3 Onn tablets are now available

Search This thread

martyfender

Mar 9, 2017
Indianapolis, IN
I work in the electronic department of a Walmart. The new tablets have rolled out in my store, at least. I am not working today so I don't have the specks, but, at least for the 8", the price is lower.

Renate

Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Dev
Feb 3, 2012
Boston
www.temblast.com
Nexus 7 (2013)
Moto E5
This apparently comes in 4 colors, gray, yellow, purple, blue. $79
This is "charcoal", i.e. gray: https://www.walmart.com/ip/onn-8-Tablet-32GB-2022-Model-Charcoal/530143567

I've had the original Onn 8 (not the Pro) on my dash for a while.
I think the speed is an improvement over my old Nexus 7 (2013).
Still, the GPS leaves something to be desired in that it's so inaccurate and there is (apparently) no magnetometer.
If you're stopped at a light Google Maps will go wacky telling you to pull a U-turn or take a right or take a left.

Still, I think I'll pick one of the new ones up for the dash (gray) and maybe another for news site browsing (yellow).
Tablet Gen 3 with Android
Android 11 (Go edition) operating system
8" 800 x 1280 resolution IPS touchscreen
2.0 GHz quad-core processor
2 GB RAM
32 GB storage with microSD slot for storage expansion
Up to 15 hours of battery life for gaming, web browsing, watching videos, and listening to music
2 MP front-facing camera plus 2 MP rear-facing camera
Comes with: Google Kids Space,* Entertainment Space, and Google Camera Go apps
Camera Go: high-quality HDR images, Night Mode, smart on storage
What's in the Box? (1) tablet 8", (1) AC adapter plus USB-C charging cable 3.28 ft (1 m), and (1) Quick Start Guide
Edit: I checked a dozen stores and nothing, so I just added it to cart and went to checkout, "Out of Stock".

Last edited:

smoothxda

Jan 20, 2018
I got one of the new 7 inch tablets and it's pretty slick for a 50-dollar tablet. Nothing fancy removed the walmart bloat via ADB and it gets the job done.

Renate

Feb 3, 2012
Boston
www.temblast.com
Nexus 7 (2013)
Moto E5
(2022) 7" ($59): https://www.walmart.com/ip/onn-7-Tablet-32GB-2022-Model-Charcoal/169995658
(2022) 8" ($79): https://www.walmart.com/ip/onn-8-Tablet-32GB-2022-Model-Charcoal/530143567
(2022) 10" ($109): https://www.walmart.com/ip/onn-10-1-Tablet-32GB-2022-Model-Charcoal/126787849

Are you sure that you got the new (2022) 7" model? The new one is $59. The 2021 model is still selling for $50.

The most critical is getting rid of the Walmart icon on the navigation bar:
Code:
adb shell settings put secure sysui_nav_bar 'space[1.5WC],back;home;recent,space[1.5WC]'
Play with the 1.5 number if you don't like the spacing.

martyfender

Mar 9, 2017
Indianapolis, IN
This apparently comes in 4 colors, gray, yellow, purple, blue. $79
This is "charcoal", i.e. gray: https://www.walmart.com/ip/onn-8-Tablet-32GB-2022-Model-Charcoal/530143567

I've had the original Onn 8 (not the Pro) on my dash for a while.
I think the speed is an improvement over my old Nexus 7 (2013).
Still, the GPS leaves something to be desired in that it's so inaccurate and there is (apparently) no magnetometer.
If you're stopped at a light Google Maps will go wacky telling you to pull a U-turn or take a right or take a left.

Still, I think I'll pick one of the new ones up for the dash (gray) and maybe another for news site browsing (yellow).

Edit: I checked a dozen stores and nothing, so I just added it to cart and went to checkout, "Out of Stock".
Many stores may not have them yet. They may have them, but if I recall, the actual mod reset for them is in the future, therefore many stores have not put them on the sales floor, yet.

martyfender

Mar 9, 2017
Indianapolis, IN
Ok. My bad.
I just don't know why they would mark down a new model (with limited availability) to $50 (MSRP $59) when they have stacks of the old "Gen 2" 7" for $49 in stock.
I thought that was odd, myself. I did notice many older models we have out are priced higher than the new ones.
Personally, I have stayed with my 2, 1st gen tablets, because they were easily rooted and have TWRP ported to them, thanks to @diplomatic .

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2014
Is it just me or is Gen 3 lineup not always an upgrade? The 7 gets a bump in storage and battery life but the 8's resolution is lower and only has a quad-core CPU rather than an octa-core. I can't find specs on the 10 at all but one of the reviews (that reads like they copy-pasted PR from Onn) says it only has 2GB of RAM.

Edit: Seems I'm comparing the 2022 models to the older Pro models for the 8 and 10. Guess I'll wait for Pro models to roll out.

HackVasant

Mar 19, 2022
I work in the electronic department of a Walmart. The new tablets have rolled out in my store, at least. I am not working today so I don't have the specks, but, at least for the 8", the price is lower.
Maybe you could inform your superiors that Walmart has been violating the GPL license by not providing kernel sources to their tablets -:(. You will be doing this hacker community a favor and also helping Walmart be in compliance with the law.

martyfender

Mar 9, 2017
Indianapolis, IN
Maybe you could inform your superiors that Walmart has been violating the GPL license by not providing kernel sources to their tablets -:(. You will be doing this hacker community a favor and also helping Walmart be in compliance with the law.
Sorry, but this will never happen. I have had these cheap Androids tablets since Android 5.0, (Nextbook) and they will never do this. I believe this does not apply to China. They won't do that.
By the way, these new generation 3 device should be now available in Walmart stores.

Renate

Feb 3, 2012
Boston
www.temblast.com
Nexus 7 (2013)
Moto E5
So, here it is. I haven't even powered it up yet. Shown with the main "tin can" removed.

Interesting to note, the test points are labelled well, there is a reset TP.
The 20 pin at the bottom is the USB Type C and the speaker.
The 30 pin is the IPS LCD.
You can see from the USB test points at the bottom (DP, DM) that this is USB 2.0
Interesting, at the top there is an unpopulated micro USB 2.0 connector. (Is that a separate interface?)
Lots of test points, maybe UART on that 6 pin or JTAG?

Edit: Interesting. I plug it in and it shows for a few seconds 0e8d/2000 Media Tek PreLoader
Yes, but the one you want is 0e8d/0003 which is the actual boot ROM
Ah, ok, there are 4 buttons, VolUp, VolDn, Power, Reset. 3 buttons and a hole for Reset.
Android "Go Edition" Android 11
Build number x 7 for Developer mode, System > Advanced > Developer > OEM unlock, ADB enable
There is accelerometer/auto-rotate but no compass. Compass is good to keep Google Maps from spinning when you're stopped.
It uses a super (dynamic) partition and has FRP.
Code:
ITEMS -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p7
boot -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p15
boot_para -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
cache -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p33
cam_vpu1 -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p3
cam_vpu2 -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p4
cam_vpu3 -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p5
dkb -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p25
dtbo -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p19
expdb -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p20
frp -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p21
kb -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p24
lk -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p13
lk2 -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p14
logo -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p18
md_udc -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p31
metadata -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p26
mmcblk0 -> /dev/block/mmcblk0
mmcblk0boot0 -> /dev/block/mmcblk0boot0
mmcblk0boot1 -> /dev/block/mmcblk0boot1
mmcblk0rpmb -> /dev/block/mmcblk0rpmb
nvcfg -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p11
nvdata -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p27
nvram -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p6
para -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p17
persist -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p10
proinfo -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p1
protect1 -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p8
protect2 -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p9
recovery -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p16
seccfg -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p12
super -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p32
tee1 -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p22
tee2 -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p23
userdata -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p34
vbmeta -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p28
vbmeta_system -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p29
vbmeta_vendor -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p30

Attachments

• onn8-3-1.jpg
    onn8-3-1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
  • onn8-3-2.jpg
    onn8-3-2.jpg
    594.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Renate

Feb 3, 2012
Boston
www.temblast.com
Nexus 7 (2013)
Moto E5
So the top, non-existent USB connector seems to be in parallel with the bottom connector, although it seems that parts haven't been populated so that the two data lines don't go through.

There's a stupid (depending on your taste) "Entertainment space" which is a multicolor tab that is always present on your homepage.
Yes, you can disable "Entertainment space" and the tab turns white, but you can't get rid of it.
Like the Google search bar (that you can't get rid of) this seems to be part of the Launcher.
I just set my minimalistic "Lunch" app as the Home app.

Edit: The model is 100071483
The 8" Gen 1 was MT8163, Gen 2 & 3 are MT8168
Maybe the only thing different is colors?

Attachments

• onn8-3-3.png
    onn8-3-3.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Renate

Feb 3, 2012
Boston
www.temblast.com
Nexus 7 (2013)
Moto E5
I've been having fun with this.

I used bkerler's MTKClient to pull the boot image. https://github.com/bkerler/mtkclient
It's easier to do this in Linux, I used a spare Raspberry Pi.
Save your data plan (if you have one), don't use the GUI version and don't just "pip install -r requirements.txt".
Use requirements.txt as a guide and just pip install them when the program complains.

If you wanted you could let Magisk take over from there.

I've pulled the kallsyms out of the kernel and made a few mods to the code.
I put in an "empty" vbmeta too.
Code:
100071483:/ # getenforce
Permissive