New info confirmed by Dell rep

Search This thread

citrix80

Aug 19, 2007
unlock a phone is for use on 2g netowork with any carrier or use 2g service for travel to other countries., not mean it will not work if different 3g frequency.

benjaminries

Aug 14, 2007
Toronto
OnePlus 7 Pro
Yeah but that was an answer to the comment below. Why are phones locked by carriers if they can't be used on other networks anyway because of frequencies? Seems a bit pointless.

Well there's you from Europe and me from Canada who won't be giving T-Mobile USA any revenue... then there's potential AT&T 2G users... and finally, it turns out that AT&T and the other big carriers actually own tons of AWS licenses in the US, and could conveivably use them in the future.

I think that this is mostly a collective action problem. The CDMA carriers' devices are already locked by design (they don't use SIM cards), so they get to have exclusive devices. AT&T and T-Mobile also want exclusive devices. If everybody could just lower their swords together, they would be forced to compete on price and network quality rather than phone selection.

If anything the FCC is excacerbating this problem - did you check out Dell's Venue Pro filing docs, where they swear that they will disable the DVP radio's 850/1900 UMTS capability in firmware? This is clearly in service of some kind of anti-competitive rule. I imagine Apple had to do the same thing with the iPhone 4, which has a hardware radio that reportedly supports five 3G bands (850/900/1700/1900/2100) but when people put in a T-Mobile SIM, no dice.