[NEW][KERNEL][REPACK] FI27 repack 2 with AGAT tREC_v0.2.2 recovery 11/7/12

Search This thread

agat63

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 14, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
For those of you who would like to run stock kernels with the builds
here is repacked FI27 kernel with my recovery and some init.rc edits.
SD card read speed.
Custom boot animation support
init.d support

Links:
AGAT_FI27_repack.tar flash with ODIN or Mobile ODIN
AGAT_FI27_repack.zip flash in recovery.

Did some edits in initramfs and run some tests.
Moved couple of apps to sd. After 5 reboots apps still working.
Tried to connect to pc in recovery.
ADB shell - works
Mount USB storage - works.
Hopefully it will work for all of you as well.
Links:
AGAT_FI27_repack.tar
AGAT_FI27_repack.zip

Enjoy the kernel.

Last edited:

tt281gt

Dec 27, 2011
Downey
Agat you're a great dev and although I personally don't know you I know you're also a great guy by the work. Dedication. Passion. And how humble you are. I'm personally not running your ROM or kernel now but I'm sure its great based on past experience.

Can't wait to see what else you get into and develop ;) *cough* jb kernels custom ROMs tweaks and beyond *

Cheers brother :beer:

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

agat63

Sep 14, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Agat you're a great dev and although I personally don't know you I know you're also a great guy by the work. Dedication. Passion. And how humble you are. I'm personally not running your ROM or kernel now but I'm sure its great based on past experience.

Can't wait to see what else you get into and develop ;) *cough* jb kernels custom ROMs tweaks and beyond *

Thus far I made a JB repack kernel with my recovery and it's working.
I made it on Garwynn's request and he has it for further testing.
I guess when JB is officially out and we have the source I can make kernel for it as well.
Why not?:rolleyes:

optimummind

Jun 17, 2012
Orange, CA
agat, flashing your stock repack FI27 kernel fixed my 4G download problem that I was experiencing earlier. :good: :D Thanks again for releasing this~!!

On my previous try with the Tersus install, I was running Tersus, source-based FI27, EL29 modem and gettiing ~1Mbps download and 1.4Mbps upload.

With the only change being the stock repack FI27 kernel and keeping the EL29 modem, I now get these speeds.

201210184gcvsparkinglot.png

These speeds are even better than my speeds with the GB Calkulin v3.0 ROM + EL29.
20120928fri4gcvsparking.png

All is well and running very smoothly.

There is, however, one problem. Whenever I try to install the XDA forum app, I get the following error message:xda app couldn't install on usb storage or sd card.

Do you have any tips on how to fix this?

agat63

Sep 14, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
agat, flashing your stock repack FI27 kernel fixed my 4G download problem that I was experiencing earlier. :good: :D Thanks again for releasing this~!!

On my previous try with the Tersus install, I was running Tersus, source-based FI27, EL29 modem and gettiing ~1Mbps download and 1.4Mbps upload.

With the only change being the stock repack FI27 kernel and keeping the EL29 modem, I now get these speeds.

These speeds are even better than my speeds with the GB Calkulin v3.0 ROM + EL29.

There is, however, one problem. Whenever I try to install the XDA forum app, I get the following error message:xda app couldn't install on usb storage or sd card.

It has been talked about and discussed in few threads.
I never had that problem with app installation and never was able to recreate it.
There are few tips and workarounds like unmount sd card and than install or pull the sd card from the phone and try to install app.
However I can't tell you with certainty which approach will work for you.
Sorry.

5FOOTER

Dec 9, 2010
stafford

Try rebooting then installing it or restore a backup.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

Reactions: easyeddie64

optimummind

Jun 17, 2012
Orange, CA
I had tried rebooting but it didn't work. However, the xda app finally installed after I shut off the phone, pulled out the SD card, rebooted, then tried installing it. Thank you agat~!

Weird thing now, however, is that when I tap on a post to bring up the pop-up menu, like to give thanks, the screen goes blank & the app force closes. :( But at least I can read the forum and post by using a different method. ;)

EDIT: Couldn't edit this post from the xda app--had to do it via laptop b/c of the force close issue.

Last edited:

cd7

Sep 11, 2012
I had tried rebooting but it didn't work. However, the xda app finally installed after I shut off the phone, pulled out the SD card, rebooted, then tried installing it. Thank you agat~!

Weird thing now, however, is that when I tap on a post to bring up the pop-up menu, like to give thanks, the screen goes blank & the app force closes. :( But at least I can read the forum and post by using a different method. ;)

EDIT: Couldn't edit this post from the xda app--had to do it via laptop b/c of the force close issue.

I have the same problem. 4G is now good but XDA and few other apps disappeared the repack install. I had to unmount SD From system menu, install the missing Apps then remount SD.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: optimummind

Capp5050

Oct 11, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S20
I have the same problem. 4G is now good but XDA and few other apps disappeared the repack install. I had to unmount SD From system menu, install the missing Apps then remount SD.

I had the same problem with the mysterious disappearing XDA; it also would not reinstall from Market, but I was able to quite easily restore a previous Titanium backup.

optimummind

Jun 17, 2012
Orange, CA
I tried your method too & it also worked. With my sd card still unmounted, I dont have the force close issue anymore when i tap on someone's post.

Edit: I just remounted the sd card, opened up xda, tapped on my post, and now the popup menu appears like it used too~! Yay~ Thanks for the tip! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: cd7

cd7

Sep 11, 2012
I tried your method too & it also worked. With my sd card still unmounted, I dont have the force close issue anymore when i tap on someone's post.

Edit: I just remounted the sd card, opened up xda, tapped on my post, and now the popup menu appears like it used too~! Yay~ Thanks for the tip! :)

No problem I've gotten so much help from people like Agat, I'm more than glad to be of some help...

M3ntalPurg3

Jan 18, 2012
PNW
Agat, what is the difference between your 6.2 kernel and your fi27 repack?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For those of you who would like to run stock kernels with the builds
    here is repacked FI27 kernel with my recovery and some init.rc edits.
    SD card read speed.
    Custom boot animation support
    init.d support

Links:
    AGAT_FI27_repack.tar flash with ODIN or Mobile ODIN
    AGAT_FI27_repack.zip flash in recovery.

Did some edits in initramfs and run some tests.
    Moved couple of apps to sd. After 5 reboots apps still working.
    Tried to connect to pc in recovery.
    ADB shell - works
    Mount USB storage - works.
    Hopefully it will work for all of you as well.
    Links:
    AGAT_FI27_repack.tar
    AGAT_FI27_repack.zip

Enjoy the kernel.
    I have to plead with Agat to do a repack with FK09. This JB ROM leak is excellent. I'm amazed at how far they've come on this.

Could your wife part with the phone for a few hours? We'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks, either way. You've done a great job supporting this phone.

Foulwx

You spoke.
    I heared.
    I have a FK09 repack ready for test.
    I'm out of town on business trip so I can't test it on my wifes phone.
    If there are any brave soul out there who would like to test JB FK09 repack kernel
    PM me for link.
    It should be OK since I made the first original repack for Garwynn. But it still need some testing before I make it public.
    Let me know if you wanna give it a try.

Thus far I made a JB repack kernel with my recovery and it's working.
    I made it on Garwynn's request and he has it for further testing.
    I guess when JB is officially out and we have the source I can make kernel for it as well.
    Why not?:rolleyes:
    I don't want to come at this at wrong way and if I did I apologize. I'm not familiar with your repacks but I had assumed tRec recovery meant safe; especially since many people recommend to flash using el 26, direct boot el29, and thirdly is agats recovery. Would it not be easier to repack it with out the recovery so as a deterrent for people to not wipe. It might be easy to get mixed up with your source built one and the repack.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Recover and kernel are 2 different things.
    Recovery is "safe" as far as it possible.
    Recovery has been compiled with CM7(GB) source and doesn't have EMMC bug in it.
    So if you wipe your phone in recovery it won't brick.
    But if you wipe your phone from system wile running ICS OS than it would use kernel/source it built on and it might cause a brick.
    So we're talking about 2 different things here.
    If I put this in simple terms kernel has 2 main parts.
    Kernel itself that runs your phone and kernel header called ramdisk or initramfs.
    When we repack the kernel we extract that header, replace recovery, edit init.rc file to enable init.d support, custom bootanimation support, some sd tweaks etc and then we pack it back into same kernel. Thus "repack".
    As you can see the main body of the kernel remains untouched and any problem that exists in Sammies source will still be there.
    Kernel built from source in another hand can be tweaks, edited and cleaned as much as we want or can.
    So in kernels build from source that bug is disabled. But still it doesn't make it completely safe because in every zip you flash is a updater-script and updater-binary.
    If the binary is based on ICS source it may contain that bug.
    When you flash zip in recovery recovery will read the updater-script and execute all commands in it line by line using updater-binary included in same zip.
    So unsafe binary can make safe kernel unsafe as well.
    Chris41g has build a complete safe recovery that won't use binary included in zip but rather safe binary included in recovery itself.
    But that new recovery requires update to all older updater-script to include new variable which is recovery binary.
    Hope all this make sense.
    Uploaded new repack.
    Tested for apps2sd. After 5 reboots apps still present and working.
    Tested for mounting in recovery. Both adb shell and mount usb storage from recovery menu working.
    Hopefully you can confirm that.
    Enjoy.