New LG G6 issues

Search This thread

Kassinni85

Apr 15, 2021
Hello guys,

I will try to make the story short :) - got a brand new sealed LG G6 H870DS to use as a secondary phone today. Unpacked it, set it up, didn't put a SIM card inside, just tried to browse in chrome and YouTube.
Problem - massive overheating and battery drain. Charged it till 100% - opened YouTube - 15 minutes - 12% BATTERY DOWN.
Long time ago had LG G3 and in the end of its life got same probs, but this is completely new device. It shows me Android 8 installed and no updates available.
Read couple of articles in web that people experienced similar issues while updating to Oreo in the past. Anyone have any suggestions what can I do to keep it alive and useable ?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

lecorbusier

Nov 28, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S5
LG G6
Battery had been discharged and damaged about one year after mfg date, or the package wouldn't have been sealed.
Changing battery is quite a PITA on this device, although the back plate is removable like on today's phones, while back then many other phones had a unibody case, requiring to remove the touchscreen. That was one reason for me for getting a G6, another was that it was the last top-of-the-line phone with a flat touchscreen.
My battery is getting weaker, too, and i'm not sure whether to operate with a heatgun for the first time or find a repair shop for the job.

Via OTA you'd havevto install all the security patches up to the big Android 9 update, which was the last one, if i remember. Or directly update via PC with LG's flash utility.

Last edited:
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone