New LG G8S AOD issue.

Steveo0o30

Mar 12, 2019
That's definitely weird, I don't have that issue, but in any case I dont even use aod, i just have it set to display alerts. Aod to me was always a battery drainer.

But that looks like it could possibly be a screen burn, can't say for sure though.

Frau Son

Dec 11, 2017
Kiel
Try searching for a completely black picture online (google or something) and look if it behaves the same when you put that picture in fullscreen
if yes it's an issue with your screen (which is highly possible, it doesn't look like something software-side-y to me)

FrydexVgs

Aug 3, 2014
Me too

I have the same problem, but isn't hardware problem, if you put a black image doesn't appear that, I'm sure that is a software problem. Already I contact LG support but they just told me go to the store where you buy it for warranty

MirceaViP

Jan 6, 2018
Bucharest
Bought a LG G8S today but have an issue with the always on display there's a faint Grey background that is only on the half of the screen to put it simple the from the top to half of the screen background is not fully black.

http://imgur.com/a/XvYNAlG
https://imgur.com/a/PoSFJep
I have it too but it's only visible at night in very low light. I suspect it's software related since activating the AOD during the day works as it should.

AlexSTGM

Aug 18, 2020
I'm facing the same issue. I think it's most probably a software or hardware issue which is involving the ambient light sensor. For me, it doesn't occur only while using the AOD feature when the phone is placed within a dark enviroment. It also occurs on the superior half of the screen for a period of one second or so if I cover and then uncover the ambient light sensor or when I use the Brief notifications feature. It is only noticeable in low light conditions.
Also, I have contacted LG Support but unfortunately they were not able to provide any solution.

Reactions: FrydexVgs

MirceaViP

Jan 6, 2018
Bucharest
I'm facing the same issue. I think it's most probably a software or hardware issue which is involving the ambient light sensor. For me, it doesn't occur only while using the AOD feature when the phone is placed within a dark enviroment. It also occurs on the superior half of the screen for a period of one second or so if I cover and then uncover the ambient light sensor or when I use the Brief notifications feature. It is only noticeable in low light conditions.
Also, I have contacted LG Support but unfortunately they were not able to provide any solution.
I think it's a software issue. It's very unlikely to be hardware since we have different hardware by different factories. I have the "Brief Notifications" - "Bubble notifications" feature activated and when a notification comes in it also happens but only in low light environments.
I am also on Android 10 - build V20a

Reactions: AlexSTGM

AlexSTGM

Aug 18, 2020
I think it's a software issue. It's very unlikely to be hardware since we have different hardware by different factories. I have the "Brief Notifications" - "Bubble notifications" feature activated and when a notification comes in it also happens but only in low light environments.

I see. If it really is a software issue, then it must be a persistent one. I am currently on Android 9 V10r and had this issue from the very beginning. It isn't that annoying but I hope LG will provide a solution.

MirceaViP

Jan 6, 2018
Bucharest
I see. If it really is a software issue, then it must be a persistent one. I am currently on Android 9 V10r and had this issue from the very beginning. It isn't that annoying but I hope LG will provide a solution.
Strange. :confused: I got the answer that some users are not facing the issue. Hope LG can provide an answer.

Coreinsp

Mar 31, 2016

I can assure that it is not an a software issue because when I went back to the store to show the problem they replaced my phone right away but I asked the manager to let me compare both phone screens and they confirmed that it is a display defect. Also I gave up on the phone completely since the replacement unit had a defect on the WIFI\SIM module.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: MirceaViP

MirceaViP

Jan 6, 2018
Bucharest
I can assure that it is not an a software issue because when I went back to the store to show the problem they replaced my phone right away but I asked the manager to let me compare both phone screens and they confirmed that it is a display defect. Also I gave up on the phone completely since the replacement unit had a defect on the WIFI\SIM module.
I understand. Thank you.

Ahkah

Jun 24, 2014
Generally, an AOD is a bad idea for an OLED screen because of its burn-in effect. Active pixels age while others do not or only slowly. Further, some sub-pixels age faster than others, e.g. the blue ones faster than the green ones. Manufacturers spent a lot of time, money and effort to conceal this effect ... because they failed to really avoid it. In fact, sub-pixels, that are not as worn out as others, are artificially aged to get a uniform degradation of the screen.

The phenomenon you described might be a side effect of this „uniform OLED screen degradation technology” (euphemism?).

As a conclusion one could say that some decent LCD is still a good idea, especially Motorola's method to show time and notifications for some seconds whenever you lift your phone from the table or similar.

Drago3110

Oct 18, 2011

It ist not a good idea to post a screenshot with your IMEI. I would blacken the IMEI ;)

Sorry for Off Topic