New M8, should I apply OTA update?

Search This thread

Anakha56

Aug 10, 2008
Durban
Greetings All,

So I have been out of the HTC world for a long time now and I am just looking for some information. My M8 is currently running software number "3.32.111.3" and I have a update ready to download and install, the question? Should I apply it and once my holiday is over I can root it and install custom ROMS or should I not apply it and wait for when I get home in +-4 days? My reason for asking is because Samsung would release updates to the bootloader that would make it easier to track root use, does HTC do this? I see there is a thread to revert the status so I am guessing that OTA update does not kill that.

Have a good Xmas to all who celebrate it :).

clsA

Aug 28, 2010
Central Florida
Greetings All,

So I have been out of the HTC world for a long time now and I am just looking for some information. My M8 is currently running software number "3.32.111.3" and I have a update ready to download and install, the question? Should I apply it and once my holiday is over I can root it and install custom ROMS or should I not apply it and wait for when I get home in +-4 days? My reason for asking is because Samsung would release updates to the bootloader that would make it easier to track root use, does HTC do this? I see there is a thread to revert the status so I am guessing that OTA update does not kill that.

The only reason not to update would be to s-off, but with your current version you can only s-off with sunshine so it doesn't matter if you update or not. It's always better to s-off first in case HTC puts something in the update to disable Sunshine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anakha56

robstyleX

Mar 14, 2011
Thank you! That is the answer I was looking for :). I won't update and instead do the whole root, s-off and custom ROM method instead :).
Hello there.
Did you already try to S-OFF the phone?
I am on 3.32.111.3 as well and thinking about it. Yet, I did not have time to unlock and try Sunshine and I do not want to do it atm as it will wipe my data. Lacking time to set everything up again right now.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Greetings All,

The only reason not to update would be to s-off, but with your current version you can only s-off with sunshine so it doesn't matter if you update or not. It's always better to s-off first in case HTC puts something in the update to disable Sunshine.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone