• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

New method discovered to root Xperia (Mini) Stock ROM?

Search This thread
I think I just might have discovered a (relatively) painless and (relatively) quick method of rooting a stock Sony ROM. The following process was executed on an Xperia Mini with bootloader unlocked via testpoint method.

1. Flash stock .431 Sony ROM (downloadable from here)
2. Reboot and let the initial setup steps complete
3. Hotboot using FlashTool with EXtended Stock Kernel available here
4. You are now partially but not completely rooted as TB will inform you
4. Connect to Google Play and update installed apps.
5 This will also update Superuser (remember, we're hotbooted using the EXtended Stock Kernel so Superuser is installed by default.
6. When you update Superuser, most probably what it does is push the appropriate files and set the correct permissions into the operating system.
7. Reboot normally now (with the standard/regular Sony included kernel) and you'll find yourself rooted as can be verified by TB and rootchecker

Please hit the thanks button if this was at all useful. It would be awesome if somebody could corroborate this by independent testing as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: nit3wolf

mdfzhi

Jun 15, 2011
everyone knows flashing custom kernel with autoroot will automatically root your phone :/

Reactions: Orochixxx

andogeek10

Apr 7, 2012
Mumbai
this wasn't a permanent flash of custom kernel. i temporarily hotbooted the custom kernel, updated superuser then rebooted back into stock kernel and the root was still there
Anyway this method is for unlocked bootloaders and why do such long procedure when you can have a rooted device with one simple step?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda app-developers app

Rudjgaard

Jun 11, 2012
naw, if you reflash kernel.sin without wiping data you retain stock kernel without loosing root..

naw, if you reflash kernel.sin without wiping data you retain stock kernel without loosing root..
thats my point, isn't it, you only have to permanently flash the stock ROM including stock kernel just once, that's it.

after that, you just hotboot once with extended stock kernel, update superuser, reboot normally and you're good to go :)

AndroidSoftmods

Nov 17, 2011
Sisak
androidsoftmods.wix.com
Every one can root stock ICS with unlocked bootloader! So I found nothing new in your method except pain in the ass process! Isn't easily to flash autorooted kernel and switch back to stock if you want to use it

Sent from my ST15i using xda app-developers app

mdfzhi

Jun 15, 2011
Actually the extend stock kernel is still stock kernel. The kernel binary is still the same as sony stock kernel, difference is just in ramdisk, added cwm and autoroot. If u already flash it, doesn't make sense to reflash stock kernel again. U got built in cwm without need to reinstall cwm after every rom flash, with the same exact kernel as stock kernel.

tintin100

Dec 16, 2009
Kolkata
One little thought : Many people might want root without unlocking the bootloader, because once you unlock it, there is no turning back. So, that does not sound as "everything stock" And moreover, unlocking bootloader is really a scary process for many. I myself got root first, and unlocked the boot loader months later.

One little thought : Many people might want root without unlocking the bootloader, because once you unlock it, there is no turning back. So, that does not sound as "everything stock" And moreover, unlocking bootloader is really a scary process for many. I myself got root first, and unlocked the boot loader months later.

same here. other than that, sorry about this thread, maybe the mods could delete it please?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I think I just might have discovered a (relatively) painless and (relatively) quick method of rooting a stock Sony ROM. The following process was executed on an Xperia Mini with bootloader unlocked via testpoint method.

1. Flash stock .431 Sony ROM (downloadable from here)
    2. Reboot and let the initial setup steps complete
    3. Hotboot using FlashTool with EXtended Stock Kernel available here
    4. You are now partially but not completely rooted as TB will inform you
    4. Connect to Google Play and update installed apps.
    5 This will also update Superuser (remember, we're hotbooted using the EXtended Stock Kernel so Superuser is installed by default.
    6. When you update Superuser, most probably what it does is push the appropriate files and set the correct permissions into the operating system.
    7. Reboot normally now (with the standard/regular Sony included kernel) and you'll find yourself rooted as can be verified by TB and rootchecker

Please hit the thanks button if this was at all useful. It would be awesome if somebody could corroborate this by independent testing as well.
    everyone knows flashing custom kernel with autoroot will automatically root your phone :/