• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[NEW METHOD][ROOT] [Extreme Syndicate] [Snapdragon][G950U/U1][V8 Bootloaders]

Search This thread

jrkruse

Recognized Contributor
Aug 9, 2009
Hi jrkruse,

My g950u seem bricked after flashed combination_v8.tar ...

My steps:
1. flashed G950USQS8DTJ3 bl ap csc cp in origin odin and wipe data on recovery.
2. flashed COMBINATION_FA70_G950USQU8ATG1_CL13344735_QB33169116_REV00_user_mid_noship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5 as ap and G950U_CACHE_FORCE_REBOOT_V8.tar.md5 as CSC in patched odin 3.13.
3. After finished, it went to black screen and no reboot as expected..

Now it has no response, no matter plug in computer or long press vol- and power.

I dont know what wrong with my steps, is that because my stock rom too latest? And is there any solutions to restore it?

I honestly don’t know why this is happening on some phones. You didn’t do anything wrong. I thought having people flash stock firmware first might help but apparently not. Im sorry that you’re phone is bricked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: PEZ Dispenser

Dash_k

Jun 26, 2018
Hi jrkruse,

My g950u seem bricked after flashed combination_v8.tar ...

My steps:
1. flashed G950USQS8DTJ3 bl ap csc cp in origin odin and wipe data on recovery.
2. flashed COMBINATION_FA70_G950USQU8ATG1_CL13344735_QB33169116_REV00_user_mid_noship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5 as ap and G950U_CACHE_FORCE_REBOOT_V8.tar.md5 as CSC in patched odin 3.13.
3. After finished, it went to black screen and no reboot as expected..

Now it has no response, no matter plug in computer or long press vol- and power.

I dont know what wrong with my steps, is that because my stock rom too latest? And is there any solutions to restore it?
Try to lpress power poton + bixby boton + vol+ and vol- at the same time for about 10 second or little more ...till phone vibrate

jrkruse

Recognized Contributor
Aug 9, 2009
Try to lpress power poton + bixby boton + vol+ and vol- at the same time for about 10 second or little more ...till phone vibrate

I wish that was the case but for some reason flashing combination firmware is bricking few phones that can only be brought back with edl unfortunately there aren’t any v8 edl files available anywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BRE4DED

Apr 8, 2020
Google Pixel 4a
I managed to get the Samsung Health up and running but im still trying to change the 80% charge limit. I tried altering the numbers in the root folder under Battery Capacity but no luck. I know the bootloader is locked, is there a way with the tweak it like 95% ? Ive seen it at times charge to 84% or 81% but its pretty consistent at 80%. Any help would be great!

Reactions: thirdmillennium

thirdmillennium

Apr 28, 2008
I just used this to successfully root my G950U. It works (almost) flawlessly with the rooted Nougat rom. Thank you! I had to use a patched Odin to get the BL file for fingerprints working...but this was pretty minor. Keep up the good work.

Last edited:

Dash_k

Jun 26, 2018
I just used this to successfully root my G950U. It works flawlessly with the rooted Nougat rom. Thank you! I had to use a patched Odin to get the BL file for fingerprints working...but this was pretty minor. Keep up the good work.
Iam on pie now,and battery usage is not that good ,did you feel different on Nougat please?

Last edited:

Neuken6969

Sep 25, 2018
now im bricked AF right now i was on G955USQS8DTJ1-20201111083935 and NOT G950USQU8ATG1. FUDGE!!!!! i have held down every button combination possible ... the screen flickers and is just not reactive or show any sign of life. I guess i need to go the EDL jump or something now?

Anyone still follow this thread??

PEZ Dispenser

Sep 20, 2011
OK, so if I'm understanding this properly I'm pretty locked down with this phone and my only options for root are from the instructions in the OP. I have g950u1ues7dtc1 which means I have bootloader v7 correct?

PEZ Dispenser

Sep 20, 2011
You have a hard time deciding what thread you want to complain in don’t you? Some times your in s8+ thread now you’re here. Maybe come over to my s9+ thread and complain there for awhile because these threads will be no more here before long because I’m ending development for 8 series

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Screw that guy!

The rest of us are very thankful! Even if we don't voice it.

Please keep up the good work and don't let smol people like them get under your skin. It happens in every hobby, trade, and profession.

I rooted my phone successfully with your method by doing my own research when I didn't understand part of your instructions. So, thanks again, it's all there and it works, just might need to do some digging if you aren't familiar with the platform or the tools.

Reactions: TheMadScientist

TheMadScientist

Recognized Contributor
OK, so if I'm understanding this properly I'm pretty locked down with this phone and my only options for root are from the instructions in the OP. I have g950u1ues7dtc1 which means I have bootloader v7 correct?
Yes. 5th digit from the far end of the revision of anti roll back on the bootloader

PEZ Dispenser

Sep 20, 2011
Hey jrkruse or TheMadScientist

I got the combo software successfully installed and then decided to try your rooted nougat rom and now FlashFire says I don't have root.

Edit: I flashed the system.img and Magisk_System-v20.4.zip. I didn't flash BL_G950U_NOUGAT_V8.tar.7z because I don't want or need fingerprint or facerecognition. Does this package do other things and could be causing me to not have root according to flashfire?

jrkruse

Recognized Contributor
Aug 9, 2009
Hey jrkruse or TheMadScientist

I got the combo software successfully installed and then decided to try your rooted nougat rom and now FlashFire says I don't have root.

Edit: I flashed the system.img and Magisk_System-v20.4.zip. I didn't flash BL_G950U_NOUGAT_V8.tar.7z because I don't want or need fingerprint or facerecognition. Does this package do other things and could be causing me to not have root according to flashfire?
there are two root zips in post 2 a magisk system root and and a SuperSu zip you need to flash one or the other in safestrap. then reboot. If you are wanting to use flashfire you need to use the supersu zip as flashfire doesnt work with magisk. Remember there is no advantages to using magisk root over supersu since magisk root is sytem root not systemless and magisk hide or modules will not work

PEZ Dispenser

Sep 20, 2011
there are two root zips in post 2 a magisk system root and and a SuperSu zip you need to flash one or the other in safestrap. then reboot. If you are wanting to use flashfire you need to use the supersu zip as flashfire doesnt work with magisk. Remember there is no advantages to using magisk root over supersu since magisk root is sytem root not systemless and magisk hide or modules will not work

I went back to step 3. I got back to nougat with supersu this time and running flashfire it hangs on the aquiring root access screen.

Edit: not sure which did it, but I both rebooted and enabled developer mode. Now FlashFire asked for access to SuperSU and I granted. Now FlashFire gets past it's boot up and then shuts down immediately. Is this normal?

Edit: Phone INFO app says I have root.

Last edited:

TheMadScientist

Recognized Contributor
I went back to step 3. I got back to nougat with supersu this time and running flashfire it hangs on the aquiring root access screen.

Edit: not sure which did it, but I both rebooted and enabled developer mode. Now FlashFire asked for access to SuperSU and I granted. Now FlashFire gets past it's boot up and then shuts down immediately. Is this normal?

Edit: Phone INFO app says I have root.
Flash fire can be buggy. The full paid version works well

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you have the G955U this might fix your problems 😉

Read it carefully before you do anything.

Comes with safestrap.

Not even gon a bother with the F version as I don't have a 955F
    lmao kanged.. Nice job at the thread hijack lol Maybe next time you will ask for permission from the dev whos work you want to use and give credits when due. Its always a good idea to refresh yourself and look over the rules before posting.
    There is a new root method that I am testing out if interested join the telegram thread to test out if I feel it is safe again I will post stuff here

Link To Telegram Channel S8_N8_ROOT
    Rooted Nougat Rom

This is last nougat rom made for S8 it is prerooted with flashfire and safestrap preinstalled. It has CSC stuff for all carriers added. Its debloated slightly with knox removed. Some stuff may not work but im not sure as I cannot test but this stuff may include fingerprint and or face recognition. If stuff doesnt work it probably related to using pie modems and non-hlos on a nougat rom which you have no choice.

Downloads
    system_s8_brb1.7z
    BL_G950U_NOUGAT_V8.tar.7z
    Includes Fingerprint and Face Unlock fix for above nougat rom. Just flash in BL slot in odin after everything else
    Magisk_System-v21_4.zip This is system magisk not the normal systemless magisk so magisk hide and modules will not work!
    SuperSU_System.zip
    Safestrap-4.12-T01-DREAMQLTE_PIE.zip Will boot straight to safestrap only for pie roms
    Safestrap-4.12-T01-DREAMQLTE_NOUGAT.zip Will Give you the safestrap splash screen on boot

SM_955_Mods_Safestrap_NOUGAT.zip Will fix volte icon
    Directions
    Safestrap Method
    If you didnt upgrade to V8 bootloaders using odin. I recommend flashing full stock firmware with V8 bootloaders even if you are already on V8 bootloader via OTA update. I feel that maybe something in the OTA from V7 bootloaders to V8 may have corrupted a bootloader file and some people have experienced bricks with trying to update to V8 bootloaders from V7 using the below method so I recommend flashing full stock V8 firmware in Odin before trying this method and just understand there has been a risk of bricking device. Full stock can be found on Sammobile or updato or any other service you can find it. You will have to reroot of course. If you Updated to V8 bootloaders using odin method already then no need to do so again

1. Extract system.img from the system_s8_brb1.7z and copy to phone also copy either SuperSu_System.zip or Magisk_System-v20.4.zip reboot to safestarp and flash system image
    2. Flash either SuperSu_System.zip or Magisk_System-v20.4.zip
    3. Reboot to download and flash BL_G950_NOUGAT_V7.tar.md5 in odin
    4. If you get constant rebooting to safestrap flash Nougat safestrap zip while in safestrap

New V8 Pie Rom With Safestrap For The S8 SM-G950U/U1 Can Be Found In The New Threads Below

New DTI3 Pie Rom With SafestrapFor S8 With V7 Bootloaders
    Hi, thank you for your hard work. It works on Canadian S8. I installed after pie version. Do you have any idea how often the pie version Will be updated?

I update if something changes but lets face it there isn’t much to update anymore. Maybe a new google style rom soon

Sent from some device I modified
    Thank you guys for keeping this nice device alive.
    I'm just glad we was able to stick it to em once again ???
    rooted nougat rom added to post 2