New Nexus 2016 phone

Search This thread

DM_Sledge

Apr 12, 2009
Would be really nice to see another company start making a Nexus equivalent phone in the same size as the Nexus 6. I know the OnePlus3 is out there but its so much smaller to me. The Nexus 6 is a perfect fit for my admittedly above average hands.

All that said, I don't believe the overpriced iPhone copy is an accident. I believe google is literally planning to market these phones in such a way as to be a new name for people that don't understand phones other than calling them Samsung or iPhone. I get this daily with people just getting all confused when I tell them my phone is neither. Google is intentionally overpricing to create the illusion of value.

Last edited:

mikeprius

Jan 13, 2014
Orange County, California
Those phones are way to expensive. I wouldn't move from the nexus 6 in fear or downgrading but with only 32gb I have no choice but to search for an upgrade.

I have CDMA, however if your carrier is T-Mobile you are GSM and can use the One Plus 3 or wait until next year for One Plus 4. Thats what I would personally buy if my carrier was GSM.

This is all that is available for Sprint right now:

iPhone SE
iPhone 6s
iPhone 6s Plus
iPhone 6
iPhone 6 Plus
iPhone 5s (Verizon only)
iPhone 5c (Verizon only)
iPad Air 2
iPad Air (Verizon only)
iPad Mini 4
iPad Mini 3
iPad Mini 2 (Verizon only)
iPad Pro
Nexus 6 (32 & 64 GB – black/white)
Nexus 5 (16 & 32 GB – black/white/red)
Nexus 5X (all versions)
Nexus 6P (all versions)
HTC One A9 (Sprint Version only)
Motorola X Pure Edition (16, 32 & 64 GB – all colors)
Samsung Galaxy S7 Special Edition
Samsung Galaxy S7 edge Special Edition
Moto G4
Moto G4 Plus

...........not much.......except the 6p

Reactions: Pvt WhoOkid
I have CDMA, however if your carrier is T-Mobile you are GSM and can use the One Plus 3 or wait until next year for One Plus 4. Thats what I would personally buy if my carrier was GSM.

This is all that is available for Sprint right now:

iPhone SE
iPhone 6s
iPhone 6s Plus
iPhone 6
iPhone 6 Plus
iPhone 5s (Verizon only)
iPhone 5c (Verizon only)
iPad Air 2
iPad Air (Verizon only)
iPad Mini 4
iPad Mini 3
iPad Mini 2 (Verizon only)
iPad Pro
Nexus 6 (32 & 64 GB – black/white)
Nexus 5 (16 & 32 GB – black/white/red)
Nexus 5X (all versions)
Nexus 6P (all versions)
HTC One A9 (Sprint Version only)
Motorola X Pure Edition (16, 32 & 64 GB – all colors)
Samsung Galaxy S7 Special Edition
Samsung Galaxy S7 edge Special Edition
Moto G4
Moto G4 Plus

...........not much.......except the 6p

A lot of those phones would be a downgrade. Personally I refuse to go with 3gb of ram when the standard is now 4g. I however am leaning towards two options cracking down and getting the pixel xl 125 GB or waiting for the next one plus phone. It being technology let's see what else comes out lol!

TonikJDK

Dec 9, 2012
Google Pixel 6 Pro
A lot of those phones would be a downgrade. Personally I refuse to go with 3gb of ram when the standard is now 4g. I however am leaning towards two options cracking down and getting the pixel xl 125 GB or waiting for the next one plus phone. It being technology let's see what else comes out lol!

Yea, if we dont like what is available today we just need to wait until tomorrow for something else.

Hand76

Jul 1, 2010
Long Island N.Y.
So I kept having random shutdowns of my Nexus 6 and went ahead a month ago and ordered a replacement battery online. Had a store install it for a few $$$. Phone runs fine now and feels brand new.

So glad I did that as it looks like I will try and go one more year with my Nexus 6 and see if Google comes out with something better next fall

khanam

Jul 26, 2010
Miami
So I kept having random shutdowns of my Nexus 6 and went ahead a month ago and ordered a replacement battery online. Had a store install it for a few $$$. Phone runs fine now and feels brand new.

So glad I did that as it looks like I will try and go one more year with my Nexus 6 and see if Google comes out with something better next fall
You could replace the battery? Was it easy to do?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using XDA-Developers mobile app

JimSmith94

Jul 21, 2007
Midlothian, TX
Smart Watches
Android Wear

How much did they charge you? My phone kept shutting down while I was in China last week, but it hasn't done it since I got home. Maybe it was the Great Firewall of China doing it, lol!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jbZDD8-Yqs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Td78lS_rfU (even shorter)
It looks like a bit of a faff - 22 screws all round the internal frame, but once they're out it looks reasonably straightforward, though the many ribbon cables look easy to tear.

Great videos, thanks for the links!

This upgrade dilemma is ludicrous. I got my nexus 6 after it had been out for a year. Honestly, it's a good phone and I like it but it is getting outdated IMO. Furthermore, the last 4 phones I got through verizon were all older stock so this year was going to be different.

Yippie skippy straight, I'm getting a new phone I told myself. I want the latest and greatest. I don't care how much it cost.

Before my 6 I had the Note2. I really liked that phone but not-so-much samsung. Whatever, I'm thinking of getting the Note7 I told myself. Then the first recall happened and that was enough of a push to get me to wait for the Pixel XL. So Oct 4th I was hot to trot researching everything being said at the release and guess what.

I am not impressed. The hardware at THAT price?!? You have got to be kidding me. So I thought about it for a couple days and fell back to my original desire of the Note 7. Really I wanted it for the stylus. I used the heck out of the stylus when i had the Note 2. I'm a note taking foo, I love,, love, loved it. So I ordered the Note 7. I paid full price and it had a small back order which told of an arrival near Oct 12th.

The Note 7 showed up yesterday. I unpacked it and plugged it in to charge. I never turned it on as I wanted to take it into verizon and go through the swap on my account and such. I know I can do it but I still owed a year on the 6 and I wanted to make sure everything was clear.

I get into the verizon store, sit on my hind end for 20 minutes until the CSR calls my name. I walk with him to the counter and show him what I got. He says, "I got bad news" and he starts telling me everything which had happened in the last week or so and what verizon's plan was.

I immediately thanked him. I took the offer to restock it at no charge. Got my money credited, and walked out of the store.

Holy hanna people, what have these trickets done to us. LOL *grief!

So here is where I am at now. Axion 7 or go back to my old Schtick and get the 6P.

I'm kinda thinking of getting the 6P 128 mb.

The insanity!!!

mikeprius

Jan 13, 2014
As much as I have been the #1 critic of the Pixel, if the price drops enough I will probably pull the trigger on the smaller one. I know everyone has their own preference on phone size. The Nexus 6 isn't practical for myself personally. I have adjusted to using it, however; I no longer use a case for the phone, and it just sits heavy in my suit pants pockets which I have to wear for work. The phone itself is great, but I wouldn't mind a smaller size.

If circumstances were different where my attire were different clothes, but I have to manually carry the phone in different ways to try and manage the size.

So for that reason if I can get the Pixel (smaller) at a cheap price, I will do that for the size change. I did at one point think about the 6p, but I don't want a large phone again. I'll keep my Nexus 6 vs. buying the 5x which I'm not really keen on.

sbann

Feb 1, 2013
OnePlus 7 Pro
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I have Sprint so One plus 3 and Axon 7 will not work or else I would certainly consider those devices, the One plus 3 in particular. Despite the design which is not liked by many, the price is very problematic for a lot of people. I think for the right price, myself included would be willing to get the device. The Nexus 6 was $649. If the Pixel XL was $649 MAYBE people would be more aggressive buyers.

I know I'm responding to this a few weeks late, but I have further insight into the situation now.

I pulled the trigger on the OnePlus 3. I realize for your situation it doesn't work, but I've always used GSM carriers (been with Cricket for a while now). I've been using it since yesterday. It's a good phone but it's making me realize how good the Nexus 6 still is. Yeah, the OnePlus is slightly faster and has the fingerprint sensor, but I think I fell in love with the Shamu screen. :) It's been on various hikes, camping trips, lots of cycling, etc. over the past two years and the larger size has never been an inconvenience. If I needed to wear a suit to work I might feel differently though.

At this point I'm trying to decide if I want to return or sell the 3 and keep my N6 forever. :) At least another year anyway. Since the Pixel XL also has a 5.5" screen my experience so far with the OnePlus 3 answers the question about whether I'd be happy spending over $700 on a smaller phone.

mikeprius

Jan 13, 2014
I know I'm responding to this a few weeks late, but I have further insight into the situation now.

I pulled the trigger on the OnePlus 3. I realize for your situation it doesn't work, but I've always used GSM carriers (been with Cricket for a while now). I've been using it since yesterday. It's a good phone but it's making me realize how good the Nexus 6 still is. Yeah, the OnePlus is slightly faster and has the fingerprint sensor, but I think I fell in love with the Shamu screen. :) It's been on various hikes, camping trips, lots of cycling, etc. over the past two years and the larger size has never been an inconvenience. If I needed to wear a suit to work I might feel differently though.

At this point I'm trying to decide if I want to return or sell the 3 and keep my N6 forever. :) At least another year anyway. Since the Pixel XL also has a 5.5" screen my experience so far with the OnePlus 3 answers the question about whether I'd be happy spending over $700 on a smaller phone.

Thanks for letting me know. I wish I had more flexibility in the GSM area, but at least you do. I think One Plus has stated that they do not intend to support CMDA unfortunately. The One Plus is following the old Nexus model where they are creating low frill phones with good specs and customization.

I was looking at the pricing for a new Nexus 6P and Nexus 6 for unlocked on Amazon.com The price for a Nexus 6P and Nexus 6 brand new is pretty much the same cost as the Pixel XL. You could have one phone as a back up instead of insurance. After seeing that, it is just more discouraging not to get the new Pixel phones. The pricing is just too high to justify.

sgloki77

Jul 14, 2012
Hallandale Beach
I was looking at the pricing for a new Nexus 6P and Nexus 6 for unlocked on Amazon.com The price for a Nexus 6P and Nexus 6 brand new is pretty much the same cost as the Pixel XL. You could have one phone as a back up instead of insurance. After seeing that, it is just more discouraging not to get the new Pixel phones. The pricing is just too high to justify.

you can get the 6P on project fi for $449 the 64 GB version and $100 more for the 128 GB if you activate your fi account and cancel a few hours later they will refund you most of the service plan money except the few hours you used the service(prorated) , you need to buy the device outright, no installments

that's a decent deal to pull the triger on IF you consider the 6P a significant upgrade over Shamu

Last edited:

NLBeev

Jul 4, 2007
Scheveningen
That's incredible. that's over $1,000 USD. You'd be better off converting the Euros to US Dollars and purchasing in the US
One euro is now 1,10 us dollar.
The price of a Pixel XL 32Gb = 1043 dollars and the 128Gb version 1109 dollars

On the local marketplace 'marktplaats.nl' Dutch bargain prices of a used (no damage) Nexus 6 vary between 170-300 dollars.
The used iPhone 6's are more attractive and have prices above 400 dollars.

My idea is that only a few Dutch will buy a Pixel phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A few articles have been written about the rumored new Nexus phone. If this is how it looks, it looks horrible. The front facing speakers appears to be gone and it looks very iPhone-esq.......similar to HTC's A10.

If it is accurate, it looks pretty bad compared to Motorola's 6.

It's all still leaks and rumors at this point but if things play out the way the leaks are leaning, I'll still be hanging on to my Nexus 6. With the larger screen and running Android Nougat at a more than acceptable performance level I just can't find anything that compels me to upgrade.
    That crop job on the main photo makes me think they used MS Paint. I wish they would make a 6" again like shamu. I've grown to like this size and would like for it to continue.
    not liking the smaller versions appearance, nope. would like a better image to see before i judge it though. the larger version is what i want, so im hoping i like the appearance of marlin much more than sailfish.

That's cause you can only see it clear with one eye. :D (not an avatar joke.....)
    For all the talk of "We're committed to hardware" it looks more as if they're committed to pricing themselves out of the market. They certainly won't be tempting me. When my N6 eventually breaks (they all always finally do) I'll go for the OP3 or whatever the current flavour of the month reasonably-priced flagship killer is. The days when I spend N6 money (£549) are long gone, and I'm astonished that Google are going this way. I don't believe that technically-aware Android users are in any way the same as iSheep, willing to pay a huge premium for a name.
    Same here. I'm far from a power user, and tbh, a Nexus 4 would suffice for my needs. So yeah, a Nexus 6 is still a killer phone as far as I'm concerned. I may even wait 2 more years (2018) and get a 2017 phone for cheap.

The only reason a may get a new one next year is because I like new and shiny things, not because I need one.

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 PM ----------

Actually, you can find them for $319 new with free shipping.

I may be the only one here who thinks this, but I don't have a problem with a plastic build phone. The Nexus 6 could be "slightly" slimmer and lighter, but outside of that it is very good IMO. It has slimmer more subtle bezels and front vs. the 6p which has wider bezels. I really don't need a fingerprint scanner and the camera is sufficient for me, although I will concede it could be better. I wouldn't have any issue with the Motorola Nexus 6 re-used with just new hardware.

I'm probably just being old school......but I like the past Nexus model where it sold inexpensive phones with good hardware, no frills at a low price. Now you have to pay up $600+ for the glam whether you want it or not. (I don't care for the frills myself).