• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

New Nook Glow Light 4

Search This thread

FerociousAndroid

Sep 23, 2011
I just got back from B&N and the employees have a spec sheet for the NEW Nook Glow Light 4 (yes they are calling it NGL4). I got a peak at the spec sheet and it's a 6" model but no release date yet. Anyone have any information on the new Nook? Also noticed the current 6" Nook Glow Light Plus was out of stock. I was thinking about getting a 7" Kobo Libra 2, might have to wait...

Last edited:

Renate

Inactive Recognized Dev / Recognized Contributor
Feb 3, 2012
Boston
Nexus 7 (2013)
Moto E5
Did you see if they are using the same old tired processor that they've been using, the iMX6SL?
Any mention of what Android version?

You might want to take a look at the Onyx Poke 3 if you are in the market for a 6".
They also have 7", 7.8", 10.3", 13.3"

FerociousAndroid

Sep 23, 2011
Stopped by B&N today to see if the new Nook Glowlight 4 has been released or a release date. No, according to the B&N employees the release date has been pushed back to mid December. I asked if I can take a pic of the spec sheet but no. Additional info from their employee only info (basic spec):
Screen size: 6", 300ppi
Weight: 6oz
Storage: 32g
Battery: will read multiple weeks on single charge.

Buttons: on bezel
CPU: No info on employee spec sheet
Cores: No info on employee spec sheet

Last edited:

Renate

Feb 3, 2012
Boston
Nexus 7 (2013)
Moto E5
Wow, I remember when a new Nook model would have people falling over each other to comment. I guess B&N has faded into insignificance. Maybe they concentrated too much on selling ebooks and didn't make a viable device? It remains Kindle for the walled community, Kobo for Linux-based and Onyx for Android. Although there are tons of other brands too.

SJT75

Sep 19, 2020
Belgrade
If that Gentoo keyword you scrapped hunting around for information is any kind of indication it seems that Nook might be on course of shifting toward Linux like Kobo, Pocketbook etc already are. It might be that B&N is trying to copy more closely Kindle approach toward these kind of devices because it also is Linux albeit much more heavily modified and walled off. Good thing is that Gentoo is stable binary compiled distro as far as I remember that should be stable albeit maximum user unfriendly but I presume that it will work reliably on default settings or as designed and with minimal amount of storage/memory space required. Question is did they put an Android layer on top of it?

Renate

Feb 3, 2012
Boston
Nexus 7 (2013)
Moto E5
No, it's all Android. I think "Gentoo" is just their idea of "Generation Two" as in the first series out of Netronix to not use the NXP iMX6SL.

I've already run the reader out of the new Nook on my cell phone. It's all Android.

Reactions: SJT75

jptiger

Jul 23, 2011
"Barnes & Noble chief James Daunt said the company planned to "reinvigorate" the Nook line in the months and years ahead — this may just be one of the opening salvos."- Engadget

Will be curious to see what they mean by that...

Reactions: Kramar111

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
Wow, I remember when a new Nook model would have people falling over each other to comment.
LOL. It seems like a very nice reader. I note simplicity (no Bluetooth, etc.). And, with Oreo, difficult to root, which means difficult to add anything. But probably a very nice reader.

SJT75

Sep 19, 2020
Belgrade
If I remember well enough Oreo is first version of Android that tried to implement some reasonable resources management like memory usage etc. So that is a good thing. Bad is all versions above 4 start to introduce more and more quirky stuff going further away from initial AOSP. So there is no wonder that projects like LineageOS spawn of as result of that practice. It might be harder to root/hack yet since it is older version of Android who knows. Unlike before they abstain from going with some radical new hardware/software stuff implemented. Device characteristics are textbook example of middle road and targeting most ubiquitous hardware characteristics on the market or in other words best selling models. If it is so then only trump card that they could have under the sleeve is better software. We'll see...

Renate

Feb 3, 2012
Boston
Nexus 7 (2013)
Moto E5
I note simplicity (no Bluetooth, etc.).
Yeah, I'm scratching my head over this. It's hard to be sure about the hardware specifications when you're only looking at the system software. It looks like this has the same RTL8723DS as found in the Glow 7.8. That does 2.4 GHz (only) WiFi and Bluetooth.
In any case, B&N really fell down on promoting this. Why didn't they put "Coming soon" before Black Friday?

SJT75

Sep 19, 2020
Belgrade
So like a NST which theoretically could but in reality does not have bluetooth? I totally missed that one. Oh and there were hints before that they will put another e-ink reader on the market but it was mixed with half-truths and disinformation. It was stated they will partner with Lenovo for e-ink reader and in the end it turned out that they did partnered with Lenovo but for tablet format.

Windsor1959

Apr 27, 2011
My very first E-Ink device was a Nook Simple Touch. I'm one of those who jumped right in to comment whenever B&N had a new device on offer! I love my Onyx Boox Note Air 2, but I am curious about this new GL 4. Nostalgia, maybe? I wonder if it will be as easy to root as earlier GL devices?

Renate

Feb 3, 2012
Boston
Nexus 7 (2013)
Moto E5
I love my Onyx Boox Note Air 2, but I am curious about this new GL 4. Nostalgia, maybe? I wonder if it will be as easy to root as earlier GL devices?
Yeah, the Onyx are pretty nice, aren't they? I'm loving my Poke3.

I already have a root exploit for the new Glow. I may even buy one to see how it works. I'm crazy about the yellow "Daffodil" cover. I don't know whether it will fit my Poke3.

SJT75

Sep 19, 2020
Belgrade
I have nothing smart to say. Just thanks to Renate for making my day. Having root exploit for device that is yet to hit the market is awesome. It made me chuckle so hard that my glasses almost fell off my head.

Windsor1959

Apr 27, 2011
My GL4 arrived not long ago. It looks similar to the GL 3 of a few years ago. There does not appear to be a way to turn on Developer Settings as there was with the GL 3, which could make rooting the device more challenging. It has page turn buttons - nirvana for some people. It downloaded an update as soon as I turned it on! It's light and easy to hold. Warm/cold light is easily adjustable. Good impressions so far.

Edit: When I connect the GL4 to my Mac, it shows up as a Nook drive (no surprise there) but only 5.36GB. This device has 32GB of internal storage. Looks like B&N may have partitioned the free space once again. Yes, that's still a decent amount of space, but why not have access to all the free space on the device? (Probably in an attempt to guard against rooting...)

Last edited:

Renate

Feb 3, 2012
Boston
Nexus 7 (2013)
Moto E5
Oops, I did it again.

Attachments

• glow2021-2.jpg
    glow2021-2.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 18

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've been working on a tiny wrinkle on the whole USB configuration bit. It's the question of configuring the USB while you're connected over USB. It's a bit like sawing off the tree limb that you're sitting on. Sure, it's going to disconnect, but you have to make sure that the disconnection doesn't disturb the ongoing reconfiguration process. Ok, it's easy to just throw another service or trigger in init.rc and I may end up just leaving it at that. Still, I eventually figured it out. A bit more polishing and I'll have something for general use.
    The recovery is just the stock recovery with a few more options thrown on.
    You can always flash things using dd in ADB or fastboot.
    The buttons work fine, the biggest change is that you can configure the USB from the USB.
    Code:
    C:\>adb shell
    # usbcfg 18d1 4ee0 midi,adb
    ... disconnect ...
    C:\>adb shell
    #
    I've got to work on making the mounts easier/possible.
    But if you want to extract boot.img for magisk, that's easy:
    Code:
    # dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p4 of=/p4
    # ^D
    C:\>adb pull /p4
    Can I infer from this that the NGL4 has functioning Accessibility settings?

Yes. That app would not function properly without those settings. I can access them by using the alternate launcher I have installed and tapping on Settings there. The Accessibility settings cannot be "accessed" from the Nook stock launcher.
    Yes. I have EInkBro on my GL4. It runs fine.
    I have nothing smart to say. Just thanks to Renate for making my day. Having root exploit for device that is yet to hit the market is awesome. It made me chuckle so hard that my glasses almost fell off my head.
    I love my Onyx Boox Note Air 2, but I am curious about this new GL 4. Nostalgia, maybe? I wonder if it will be as easy to root as earlier GL devices?
    Yeah, the Onyx are pretty nice, aren't they? I'm loving my Poke3.

I already have a root exploit for the new Glow. I may even buy one to see how it works. I'm crazy about the yellow "Daffodil" cover. I don't know whether it will fit my Poke3.