New Nook Glowlight Plus

Search This thread

dennisweelvdput

Jun 8, 2019
OnePlus 6
OnePlus 6T
By that, I meant that you want sda1.
/dev/block/sda1

I don't know what user you are in your terminal and whether such a user can mount but you haven't shown me yet that you can't.

This may be easier if you use ADB over WiFi.
Code:
C:\>adb tcpip 5555
restarting in TCP mode port: 5555
C:\>adb connect 123.123.123.123:5555
connected to: 123.123.123.123:5555
C:\>adb shell
#
Obviously "123.123.123.123" is an example, you have to find the IP.

Getting a USB flash drive to work on this is a bit pointless.
The power consumption is not going to be so good.
The data rate is not going to be so good.
You have to operate the USB through UsbMode which is not as convenient as just plugging in.
And you have this thing hanging off your Glow.
The only possible argument would be if you have a permanent wired installation.

Makes sense. Is a lot of wirering. But audio would still be cool? Is that somehow do-able?

Renate

Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Dev
Feb 3, 2012
Boston
www.temblast.com
Nexus 7 (2013)
Moto E5
Well, you've gotten this far, aren't you going to see if you can get the USB flash going anyway?

The Glow4 has (and the Glow2/3 doesn't):
Code:
/system/lib/hw/audio.a2dp.default.so
/system/lib/hw/audio.primary.imx6.so
/system/lib/hw/audio.r_submix.default.so
/system/lib/hw/audio.usb.default.so
/system/lib/hw/audio_policy.default.so
/system/lib/libtinyalsa.so
You might be able to get this working.
Debug using the alsa utilities.

dennisweelvdput

Jun 8, 2019
OnePlus 6
OnePlus 6T
Well, that all looks good.
Did you modify init.rc to use usbhostd?

So, the devices are on there and their drivers are loaded.
Your audio adapter has little volume buttons, press them and see on UsbMode.apk and just generally.

I've not tried a USB flash. You'll need to mount it.
First, look in /dev/block for something new.
Then try:
Code:
# mount -t vfat /dev/block/whateveritwas /mnt/media_rw/extsd
If this all works you can add it to the fstab.

But seriously, it's easier to solder in an SD card: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/adding-an-sd-card-to-glowlights-2-3-4.3944830/

Mmm, for the audio it looks like B&N removed all the alsa audio stuff.

USB audio makes device reboot.
BUT usb-stick works 😄👍 1614160597975722884215813647371.jpg

dmkbox

Nov 16, 2006
Hi. I'm sorry to dublicate my post here.
I'm bricked my Glowlight plus 2015.
I'm install twrp. After that I wipe all partition, forgot to uncheck system. Than I flashed custom firmware.
Now I have continuous NOOK logo. i'm able to do factory reset withour luck. Windows cannot identify device
What should I do? I can open my Nookand connect via UART. But what's next?

inpsydout

Jul 26, 2013
Hi! I Bought an NG+ a couple of years ago, but hadn't even touched it since, because I didn't want to spoil the ability to root, sideload apps, etc.

Can someone please give me a recap or point me in the direction of what I can do with it?

Basically, I guess I'd like to read web articles, load pdfs, and load/read ebooks. What else is possible with it?

Sorry, I tried to read through the thread but I'm not tech-savy so I don't understand much, and couldn't find a starting point.

I'd really appreciate it, thanks.

Edit:
I had this NG+ on shelf because I wanted to root.. And now, when I made space to do it... I couldn't get past upgrade screen during startup. I upgraded and now I guess I messed up because it wont show 'development options' when I tap software version 3 times.. instead it asks "Are you sure you want to redo a full sync of your content"?

I guess my device is just as good as a brick now :( damn B&N you suck

Attachments

• 1655704337252.jpg
    1655704337252.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:

inpsydout

Jul 26, 2013
In settings, there's ABOUT and in there, there's this Menu with no Build Number.
They probably changed it in the last release.

Attachments

• 1655752431148.jpg
    1655752431148.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 19
  • 1655704337258.jpg
    1655704337258.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 20

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
In settings, there's ABOUT and in there, there's this Menu with no Build Number.
They probably changed it in the last release.
Just guessing here--I don't have one of these. Earlier in the thread somewhere is this:
settings >> about >> software >> tap software version rapidly like 10 times >> tap the build number (or maybe it was something else I forgot) rapidly 10 times or so
Clearly, your image does not show "software version". How about "app version"? Worth a try (but I doubt that tapping wildly "10 times or so" is really necessary).

Edit: or, try tapping on the "n" logo--this works for the Glowlight 3

Last edited:

inpsydout

Jul 26, 2013
Just guessing here--I don't have one of these. Earlier in the thread somewhere is this:

Clearly, your image does not show "software version". How about "app version"? Worth a try (but I doubt that tapping wildly "10 times or so" is really necessary).

Edit: or, try tapping on the "n" logo--this works for the Glowlight 3
Thanks, it worked. I tried to install TWRP but it's too complicated and instructions aren't easy to follow from anywhere.. Appreciate you help anyways

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
Thanks, it worked. I tried to install TWRP but it's too complicated and instructions aren't easy to follow from anywhere.. Appreciate you help anyways
Tapping which one? (for the benefit of someone else...)

Edit: which directions are you trying to follow for TWRP?

Last edited:

inpsydout

Jul 26, 2013
Tapping which one? (for the benefit of someone else...)

Edit: which directions are you trying to follow for TWRP?
The N logo on top.

I was trying to install this:

I'll try again another day.. I'm just not savvy enough.
I tried ADB on command prompt but couldn't get it to work. Typed cd, pressed enter, then dragged abd.exe, pressed enter, and a lot of info shows up, but then when I try adb commands, they don't work.

Reactions: nmyshkin

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
The N logo on top.

I was trying to install this:

I'll try again another day.. I'm just not savvy enough.
I tried ADB on command prompt but couldn't get it to work. Typed cd, pressed enter, then dragged abd.exe, pressed enter, and a lot of info shows up, but then when I try adb commands, they don't work.
If you're having issues wth adb and are not using a Mac, I recommend this package: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/tool-minimal-adb-and-fastboot-2-9-18.2317790

On installation you'll get a unique command prompt window just for adb that may resolve some of the common annoying issues.

None of us is savvy enough (except @Renate), so we just read and re-read, ask for help and then ask again. Nothing like a good night's sleep.

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
Also with adb, you can cd to the directory where it is installed ( unless you've set up paths), but from there just type something like "adb devices". If the device is connected properly you should see a message about adb starting and finally a string of characters representing the device.

Renate

Feb 3, 2012
Boston
www.temblast.com
Nexus 7 (2013)
Moto E5
Then dragged abd.exe, pressed enter, and a lot of info shows up...
ADB is really annoying in that if you type something wrong (or even just don't tell it what to do) it will spit out pages of unhelpful help.
Code:
C:\>adb.exe devices
* daemon not running; starting now at tcp:5037
* daemon started successfully
List of devices attached
12345678        device
C:\>adb.exe shell
$ cd sdcard
$ ls -l
some_file
another_file

RedFeather3221

Aug 4, 2022
All I want to do is get my nook connected to my computer and be able to see it on adb devices.

If someone could help me with that, I would consider you a miracle worker, seeing as I've been stuck for 4 DAYS!

Here is my issue:

"Nook Glowlight Plus
When I activate USB Debugging a new device shows in the Windows Device Manager. It is called BNRV510.

The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
There are no compatible drivers for this device.

I have tried the Google usb drivers and others but it is not installing correctly. The device does show under Portable Devices in Device Manager as NOOK. is rooting required?

it is not showing in c:\...\Android\Sdk\platform-tools>adb.exe devices."

Here is a little more background on my situation that I hope helps.

1. I have a Nook Glowlight Plus currently in debugging mode
2. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit with an AMD E-350 processor
3. I have installed ADB Studio, along with the platform tools and Google USB drivers, and Dejaconnect drivers
3. My NGP App Version is 5.5.0.31
4. The Nook will show up in Device Manager in 2 places, Other Devices as "BNRV510" with the above poster's code, and in Portable Devices as "NOOK" as an MTP device.

Is there something I am missing with drivers? I KNOW that I can't move forward until I figure out how to get my computer to recognize my device as an ADB Interface device, but I can't for the life of me find a driver package that seems to work (that being the Google USB drivers and Dejaconnect as recommended through these forums).

Renate

Feb 3, 2012
Boston
www.temblast.com
Nexus 7 (2013)
Moto E5
Oh, you're talking about the white, original "Glowlight Plus", not the 7.8" "Glowlight Plus" or the 2021 "Glowlight Plus".

My BNRV510 is running on a standard Microsoft issued WinUSB driver.
It is just listed in "Universal Serial Bus devices"

It should show up in two places if you have MTP enabled.
Is the one that isn't MTP happy?
What does the driver details say?
Try letting Windows select the driver.

You can go to http://www.temblast.com/windows.htm and try the winusb.exe
Code:
D:\>winusb 2080 a
Found Android device at 2080/000a
Path: \\?\usb#vid_2080&pid_000a#5055210015073150#{f72fe0d4-cbcb-407d-8814-9ed673d0dd6b}
Could not open raw USB (00000005)

C:\>adb kill-server

C:\>winusb 2080 a
Path: \\?\usb#vid_2080&pid_000a#5055210015073150#{f72fe0d4-cbcb-407d-8814-9ed673d0dd6b}
In bulk endpoint 81
Out bulk endpoint 01
Everything ok
You may need to try:
Code:
C:\>winusb 2080 a 0
C:\>winusb 2080 a 1

Reactions: Kramar111

RedFeather3221

Aug 4, 2022
Oh, you're talking about the white, original "Glowlight Plus", not the 7.8" "Glowlight Plus" or the 2021 "Glowlight Plus".

My BNRV510 is running on a standard Microsoft issued WinUSB driver.
It is just listed in "Universal Serial Bus devices"

It should show up in two places if you have MTP enabled.
Is the one that isn't MTP happy?
What does the driver details say?
Try letting Windows select the driver.

You can go to http://www.temblast.com/windows.htm and try the winusb.exe
Code:
D:\>winusb 2080 a
Could not open raw USB (00000005)

C:\>adb kill-server

C:\>winusb 2080 a
In bulk endpoint 81
Out bulk endpoint 01
Everything ok
You may need to try:
Code:
C:\>winusb 2080 a 0
C:\>winusb 2080 a 1

Thank you so much for getting back to me! :)

BNVR510 is not happy in the device manager, it says no driver is installed. It shows up in Other Devices, instead of USB Devices (I'm assuming because the driver's not installed). As a result, Winusb can find the generic device, but cannot convert to Winusb driver.

I would post the response from the command prompt, but it won't let me copy the text. Specifically, "Could not convert raw USB to WinUsb <00000008>". This is with or without adb's server running (i.e. after adb kill-server).

Renate

Feb 3, 2012
Boston
www.temblast.com
Nexus 7 (2013)
Moto E5
And you've tried just "Let Windows find me the right driver"?

Can you disable MTP, it makes it a simple device instead of a composite and your Windows might recognize it.
"No data transfer" does not disable ADB.

Rename the attached file glow2.inf
Put it in the Android\SDK\extras\google\usb_driver (alongside the stock android_winusb.inf)
Now you have to disable driver signing to install it. I barely remember how to do that in Windows 10. I've never had Windows 7.

Attachments

• glow2.img
    2.5 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Kramar111

RedFeather3221

Aug 4, 2022
And you've tried just "Let Windows find me the right driver"?

Can you disable MTP, it makes it a simple device instead of a composite and your Windows might recognize it.
"No data transfer" does not disable ADB.

Rename the attached file glow2.inf
Put it in the Android\SDK\extras\google\usb_driver (alongside the stock android_winusb.inf)
Now you have to disable driver signing to install it. I barely remember how to do that in Windows 10. I've never had Windows 7.
Okey doke, so I tried to let Windows find the driver itself, no go.

I disabled the MTP device under Portable Devices, and Windows immediately tried to find a driver for BNRV510, but still no go.

Finally, I downloaded your file, put it in the folder, disabled driver signing (For Windows 7, restart the computer, and during reboot, press F8, this will show you some nifty options, but Disable Driver Signature (or something close to that) is at the bottom), plugged in my NGP, and with MTP still disabled, updated the driver!

I am now showing up in Portable Devices as NOOK (I went ahead and re-enabled it? That didn't seem to change anything) and in Android Device as Android Composite ADB Interface!!

I can even see it in ADB now!

Thank you so much!

Reactions: Renate

jakubfk

Feb 13, 2015
POCO M3 Pro / Redmi Note 10 5G
It looks like i messed up. And i messed up big time. I have Nook Glowlight Plus (2015, the white one). For years it run perfectly. Thanks to this thread it was rooted, had RelaunchX, Xposed Additions and so on. But i forgot that i did not used TWRP (back than it was not possible). I also forgot that i made changes to build.prop (for few reason it imitated other e-book reader).
So one day i wanted to make few more changes, but instead of boot into TWRP i ended up with factory reseted device.
Unfortunately build.prop stayed mine. With changes :-( I think that is reason why i'm a bit stuck. I can't turn on ADB again. Clicking multiple times Nook logo in About gives me some kind of service screen (see attachment), but developer options are missing. Same via easter egg on main screen.
I tried upgrade/downgrade via update.zip file put in root folder. Nook deletes this file after while, and that's it.
Is there any other way to turn adb on? Or to upload original build.prop or even whole rom?
A this point i'm fairly sure that my only left way is to crack open case and solder to UART. If there is no other option, i'm will.
I'm using Linux, but if any procedure requires Windows i should be able to find one.

Attachments

• 1661109996938.jpg
    1661109996938.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 15

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thank you for your patience. (y)Sit yourself down with a :coffee:
    So, flash misc-rec.img, reboot. You're in ADB in recovery.
    Code:
    # mkdir /data
    # mkdir /system
    # mkdir /cache
    # mkdir /device
    # mount -a
    # mount
    Writing TWRP to recovery shouldn't have hurt anything.
    Since it's complaining about binder it's obviously trying to run the Android subsystem. Recovery doesn't use Android.
    It's hard to say what you broke.
    Since you still have a UART connected:
    Code:
    # stop
    # dmesg
    # start
    # logcat
    Copy what it prints.
    It looks like you screwed up /system and /data
    Just flash nnglow2.img (in the sig under NeoNoogie) to /recovery
    Just flash misc_rec.img to /misc
    Reboot
    You can do factory reset if you like.
    If you don't want to you'll have to do a manual update.
    Code:
    C:\>fastboot flash recovery nnglow2.img
    C:\>fastboot flash misc misc-rec.img
    C:\>fastboot reboot
    Nook GlowLight Plus rooting script

It's pretty simple rooting script using local exploit found here:
    retme.net/index.php/2014/10/08/vold-asec.html

Instructions:
    1. Enable USB debugging in Developer options
    2. Connect USB cable and make sure your nook is showing up in 'adb devices'
    3. Extract rootGLP.zip and run rootnook.cmd (or rootnook.sh on linux)
    4. Choose 'Continue' then 'Normal' when prompted for SuperSU binary update.

Update: removed unnecessary reboot.
    Well, I bought my Glow Plus, turned it on and it said, "Let's Get Started".
    So I did.

The entire display is simply glued to the frame.
    You can work a knife carefully around the rim and detach the display, folding it gently to the left side.
    NGP Toolkit (xposed module)

WARNING: THIS IS NOT A STANDALONE APPLICATION, THIS IS A MODULE FOR Xposed Framework

version: v0.9
    features:
    • (Glowlight Plus) full access to external memory (/sdcard/) from PC;
    • (Glowlight 3) access to /data/media and /sdcard partitions from PC;
    • enable/disable frontlight by home (nook) key long-press;
    • disable wake-up on usb connected/disconnected;
    • fully hide status-bar;
    • custom sleep screen with possibility to use own images;
    • disable default launcher;
    • enable default status-bar;
    • enable fast refresh mode;

notes:
    • if you wish to use own images for custom sleep screen put them into /system/usr/sleep/custom, supported image formats - jpg, png;
    • home (nook) key long-press uses current brightness value, so if brightness is set to 0 it will do nothing;
    • status-bar requires FW version 4.7 and bnereader.apk and partner.apk installed and enabled;

download page: https://bitbucket.org/…n-toolkit/downloads/
    Yow! I could kiss B&N! :D
    Code:
    [email protected]_6sl:/ # getprop
    [ro.build.version.release]: [4.4.2]
    [ro.build.version.sdk]: [19]

4G storage, only 512M RAM, no Bluetooth.
    So, to let the cat out of the bag, getting a root console connection to the new Nook Glow Plus is quite easy.
    There is a connector location, J4, which is quite clearly labelled with the pinout.
    The output is 115200-8-N-1 on a 3.3V signal level.
    TX refers to the output of the Nook, RX is the input, connect up ground, leave the V alone.

(Don't connect anything to this unless you understand the description above,
    it's not anything related to a 9 pin RS-232 signal without a converter.
    There are plenty of cheap USB-UART converters that run 3.3V that you can buy for $3.)

You can:
    Code:
    setprop persist.sys.usb.config mtp,adb
    setprop sys.usb.config mtp,adb
    Then you will have (unrooted) ADB over USB, which is still useful to load things.

Those who don't want to scuff up their new Nook would do better to wait a bit.