• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

New Nook Glowlight Plus

Search This thread

Windsor1959

Apr 27, 2011
I have not been upgrading. Any benefits? Performnce increase?

Of course, almost every upgrade (be it an app or an OS) will claim "bug fixes and performance improvements"! There may be a slight overall performance improvement. The main new features are these: the very first upgrade, which came almost right after I bought my NGP two weeks ago, introduced B&N Readouts to the NGP. A later upgrade added compatibility with Adobe DRM ePubs and PDFs (but, from what I'm told, ADE won't recognize the NGP because the NGP uses MTP). The odd thing is to go to one of the NGP threads in mobileread.com and see how different users have different firmware versions, and how the latest updates aren't even on the B&N site.

theCroh

Dec 15, 2011
Oulu
Has anyone tested Google Play Books on the NGP (or is it even possible to install it without rooting)?

Lähetetty OnePlus Onesta Tapatalkilla

Renate

Inactive Recognized Dev / Recognized Contributor
Feb 3, 2012
Boston
Nexus 7 (2013)
Moto E5
Tantalizing, but not there. :(

Under Settings > Display > Cast screen
There is nothing.
If you have root and do (and then reboot):
Code:
setprop persist.debug.wfd.enable 1
You will get a "hamburger" on that screen that links to "Enable wireless display" (so click it already).
Unfortunately, WiFi Direct seems to be unimplemented in the WiFi driver so that we don't have any Miracast to Rokus.

Renate

Feb 3, 2012
Boston
Nexus 7 (2013)
Moto E5
It looks like (and I could be wrong) that the PCB is not populated with a few components that connect the ID pin of the USB connector.
There is a (possibly) missing resistor and diode from under the flex cable for the home button.
I tried poking at the far side of those components but couldn't get a peep from it.
We'll have to try forcing USB host mode.

Windsor1959

Apr 27, 2011
Okay, I installed Google Play Store, Google Services Framework, and Google Login Service. I placed the apks in system/app, changed permiaaions to 6-4-4, and rebooted. When I start Play Store, it asks me if I want to sign in to my account or set up a new one. So far, so good. Meanwhile, I get pop-ups saying that Google Services Framework isn't working. When I try signing in from Play Store anyway, it tells me that there is a problem connevting to Google's servers and I should try again later.

I went through all my steps so someone else could tell me if I missed anything along the way. I'll see if I can get a logcat later. Thanks.

Windsor1959

Apr 27, 2011
Okay, I installed Google Play Store, Google Services Framework, and Google Login Service. I placed the apks in system/app, changed permiaaions to 6-4-4, and rebooted. When I start Play Store, it asks me if I want to sign in to my account or set up a new one. So far, so good. Meanwhile, I get pop-ups saying that Google Services Framework isn't working. When I try signing in from Play Store anyway, it tells me that there is a problem connevting to Google's servers and I should try again later.

I went through all my steps so someone else could tell me if I missed anything along the way. I'll see if I can get a logcat later. Thanks.

I've made some progress. I moved those three apks from system/app to system/priv-app (which is apparently where they belong in KitKat). That has stopped the "Sorry, but.." pop-ups, but I still can't sign into my account. So I must need to install something else Google-ish. I'll see if I can figure out what. Hints are most welcome!

Edit: I have Zeam Launcher installed. When I check in Settings in the app drawer, there's no Accounts section. Could that be an issue?

I tried installing Gmail, to see if I could sign into my Google account that way. No dice. No matter what I do, I get the "Couldn't sign in - There was a problem communicating with Google servers" window. But nothing is force closing, like before.

Well, enough for tonight!

Last edited:

zpaz

Aug 16, 2007
Thanks to this thread I was able to install a new launcher (Z Launcher from Nokia) and Scribd (too bad animations cannot be turned of in that app) turning the device into quite the reading machine. Though, currently I cannot change the background of my launcher.

When I try to change the background I get "No apps can perform this action". Is there something I need to install? I found this site. Where one has the same problem.

There the answer is enabling the services:
com.android.wallpapercropper | com.sec.android.wallpapercropper2

But I'm not sure how I can do that.

Also it seems you cannot remove the two guide books which is lame.

Last edited:

Renate

Feb 3, 2012
Boston
Nexus 7 (2013)
Moto E5
There's a couple of aspects to wallpaper.
There is the WallpaperManager, which is the underlying bit.
Then there is any user application which tidies things up and lets you select a part of a snapshot of your Maui vacation without cousin Fred in it.
This app would handle the android.intent.action.SET_WALLPAPER

The NGP has the WallpaperManager in it.
My NGP has the stock Android Launcher in it, which has a set wallpaper option.

I don't use that, I use my own little app.
You can select a solid color for your wallpaper.
If you are interested in something that can do white, black or 0x008080 with a single button,
I can probably polish up my version.

I forget how/where, but the system just turns your wallpaper into a PNG and parks it somewhere.

Note also, that the NGP uses your wallpaper (sometimes?) as screensaver.
(That's why I patched android.policy.jar)

Last edited:

zpaz

Aug 16, 2007
Hi, yes, the goal was going for something like solid white. I made a white.png and uploaded it to the device. But well that didn't work. So if you can help with that. That'd be great.

jreem74

Dec 28, 2011
Does everybody have their "screensaver" working as they would wish?
I looked into it and it seemed a bit screwy.
I could set "wallpaper" and it would use it for both the Android stock Launcher and the screensaver.
The paths that are indicated are /storage/emulated/legacy/sleep (i.e. /sdcard/sleep) and /system/usr/sleep
I gave up puzzling and just patched /system/framework/android.policy.jar - ntx.fb.Screen.draw()

Seems that some time went by, but, Renate NST, could you explain in more detail about "patching android.policy.jar"? Does it mean that we should replace it with the modified one in order for screensaver to work again? Then, can you provide the working version of android.policy.jar file?
Thanks!

Renate

Feb 3, 2012
Boston
Nexus 7 (2013)
Moto E5
I've deleted a bunch of B&N stuff from my NGP.
Some of the effects of this have been wide-ranging.
I haven't gone back to check, but apparently the IME (soft keyboard) is packaged in the B&N apks.
Since I had no soft keyboard I installed the stock Android IME, but the styling could be better.

The point is, I'm not at all sure what others are experiencing on their unmodified NGPs.
Maybe I should pick up another to leave stock for experimentation.

The "screensaver" seemed to be the same as the wallpaper.
There is also that horrible Zzzzz... screen that shows up too sometimes.

In any case, I'd rather release patches than patched files.
It gives people a chance to decide what they want in and out.

What screen shows up when you hit the power button?
Do you use a launcher? Are you happy with the sleep images?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Nook GlowLight Plus rooting script

It's pretty simple rooting script using local exploit found here:
    retme.net/index.php/2014/10/08/vold-asec.html

Instructions:
    1. Enable USB debugging in Developer options
    2. Connect USB cable and make sure your nook is showing up in 'adb devices'
    3. Extract rootGLP.zip and run rootnook.cmd (or rootnook.sh on linux)
    4. Choose 'Continue' then 'Normal' when prompted for SuperSU binary update.

Update: removed unnecessary reboot.
    Well, I bought my Glow Plus, turned it on and it said, "Let's Get Started".
    So I did.

The entire display is simply glued to the frame.
    You can work a knife carefully around the rim and detach the display, folding it gently to the left side.
    NGP Toolkit (xposed module)

WARNING: THIS IS NOT A STANDALONE APPLICATION, THIS IS A MODULE FOR Xposed Framework

version: v0.9
    features:
    • (Glowlight Plus) full access to external memory (/sdcard/) from PC;
    • (Glowlight 3) access to /data/media and /sdcard partitions from PC;
    • enable/disable frontlight by home (nook) key long-press;
    • disable wake-up on usb connected/disconnected;
    • fully hide status-bar;
    • custom sleep screen with possibility to use own images;
    • disable default launcher;
    • enable default status-bar;
    • enable fast refresh mode;

notes:
    • if you wish to use own images for custom sleep screen put them into /system/usr/sleep/custom, supported image formats - jpg, png;
    • home (nook) key long-press uses current brightness value, so if brightness is set to 0 it will do nothing;
    • status-bar requires FW version 4.7 and bnereader.apk and partner.apk installed and enabled;

download page: https://bitbucket.org/…n-toolkit/downloads/
    Yow! I could kiss B&N! :D
    Code:
    [email protected]_6sl:/ # getprop
    [ro.build.version.release]: [4.4.2]
    [ro.build.version.sdk]: [19]

4G storage, only 512M RAM, no Bluetooth.
    So, to let the cat out of the bag, getting a root console connection to the new Nook Glow Plus is quite easy.
    There is a connector location, J4, which is quite clearly labelled with the pinout.
    The output is 115200-8-N-1 on a 3.3V signal level.
    TX refers to the output of the Nook, RX is the input, connect up ground, leave the V alone.

(Don't connect anything to this unless you understand the description above,
    it's not anything related to a 9 pin RS-232 signal without a converter.
    There are plenty of cheap USB-UART converters that run 3.3V that you can buy for $3.)

You can:
    Code:
    setprop persist.sys.usb.config mtp,adb
    setprop sys.usb.config mtp,adb
    Then you will have (unrooted) ADB over USB, which is still useful to load things.

Those who don't want to scuff up their new Nook would do better to wait a bit.