• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

New OTA Update!

Search This thread

Arcadia310

Aug 13, 2010
I'm not able to install it either. Earlier I clicked download and it never did. Restarted, changed the date, and now when I manually check it checks for the update and stops and nothing happens.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Reamer09

Sep 28, 2008
GOD ^&[email protected]&#%$&@#!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That doesn't wrap up the frustration I'm having right now. I just got the OTA message so I plugged my phone up and connected to WiFi as I've been told and then clicked to "continue" when nothing happened. Go to settings, software update, check for updates, does absolutely nothing. Reboot, get a message saying "Unfortunately. HtcDm has stopped."

I get this message after reboot every. single. time.... not rooted, not unlocked, simply disabled some bloatware but nothing that would affect that. Please help, I'm at the end of my rope.

wormyrocks

May 20, 2012
I don't mind losing root. Installed it just out of curiosity. If I unroot and install the OTA update, then it should be fine, right? And then I can wait until OneClick is updated to be compatible with 1.85

The only files I've modified with root access are some of the FM radio apks, to enable the radio tuner . Those shouldn't be affected by the update, should they?

Thanks for helping out. If I'm spamming up this discussion and there's a good place for people new to Android to go and ask questions, please point me there and I'll leave this thread alone.

CraigP17

Mar 8, 2006
PA
Was notified on the golf course. Got home. Flipped on Wifi. Downloaded. Rebooted. Done.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Thus reason I said should be ok, never said.yea man go for it it all be ok . And its my opinion he doesn't have to listen I'm nobodys boss. We are all free to.say what we think . And all the devices I have had its never sent me in any boottloops
But that's my own.experience . No one is perfect but we are here to help each other but thanks :p

Back peddling. "should be ok" means you thought he would be okay installing it. You're just hashing words now. Sure, you're free to say what you think. And I'm free to say its poor advice.

This version is the same as the leak. OTA might not work, and it might do something completely unpredictable. No value added to accepting the OTA if you are rooted, when a safe install method for this version already exists. And yes, it may install fine, and then you can just root again via CWM. But don't install it unless you intend to be the guinea pig.

Cardinal rule for any Android device: Don't install an OTA if you have root. Unless you intend to live with the consequences, or somebody has already proven that it is safe.

montevulture

May 13, 2012
San Diego, CA
Just got the notification, clicked continue (not postpone)... was already on wifi at home, and things went well. Screen went black for about two minutes before anything happened... but then it went smoothly. Only have some of the AT&T bloat crap disabled... but no HTC services disabled. Software version after update is 1.85.502.3 710RD

I will update with any performance changes/general changes once I start using the update, which just finished.

Cheers

Reactions: tyshemi

nugzo

Apr 20, 2010
Fayetteville, NC.
www.capefearcomputer.com
Probably because that's not an official build. Flash the old 1.73 Ruu and try or flash 1.85

This ^ although you cant install the 1.73 cos it would be going backwards. Just wait for the official ruu to be released then use that.

I am disapointed by it being 1.85. the 1.88 is much better. 1.85 hasn't fixed any of the bugs. (email push, multi tasking, dropped calls, no mobile data) With the 1.88 atleast we dont get dropped calls and mobile data is solid. Also no Apple law suit linkfy bs installed on 1.88. (asian ruu) It works the absolute best on my ATT h0x

Reactions: tyshemi

tyshemi

May 28, 2011
ANKENY,iowa
Back peddling. "should be ok" means you thought he would be okay installing it. You're just hashing words now. Sure, you're free to say what you think. And I'm free to say its poor advice.

This version is the same as the leak. OTA might not work, and it might do something completely unpredictable. No value added to accepting the OTA if you are rooted, when a safe install method for this version already exists. And yes, it may install fine, and then you can just root again via CWM. But don't install it unless you intend to be the guinea pig.

Cardinal rule for any Android device: Don't install an OTA if you have root. Unless you intend to live with the consequences, or somebody has already proven that it is safe.[/QUOT

. Let's move forward he said he doesn't care about root anyway so that is cleared up . And your correct you can say what you want and I can to but flaming and saying your wrong and I'm correct is childish you should of just stated that it may or may.not work. But bygones will be bygones

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
I'm amazed at all the rooted folks that are running whilly nilly to install this OTA.

Are you all just afraid to do the SuperCID and bootloader unlock because it voids the warranty?

If not, no reason to have waited for this. Could have just installed this version a long time ago.

And if you're going ahead and installing the OTA without SuperCID is it the same reason (don't want to void warranty)? You're going to be stuck on root for an indefinite amount of time, for a new radio and minor performance improvements. Seems like a weak tradeoff.

AvengerBB

Mar 22, 2008
Cincinnati, OH
GOD ^&[email protected]&#%$&@#!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That doesn't wrap up the frustration I'm having right now. I just got the OTA message so I plugged my phone up and connected to WiFi as I've been told and then clicked to "continue" when nothing happened. Go to settings, software update, check for updates, does absolutely nothing. Reboot, get a message saying "Unfortunately. HtcDm has stopped."

I get this message after reboot every. single. time.... not rooted, not unlocked, simply disabled some bloatware but nothing that would affect that. Please help, I'm at the end of my rope.

I think their servers are getting pegged. This same thing was happening to me but it eventually went through and is downloading now.

Reactions: Reamer09

tyshemi

May 28, 2011
ANKENY,iowa
I'm not writing all this for just one guy. Lots of people are obviously anxious to install this OTA, and they should all be aware of the possible consequences.

True I agree with you ,it's crazy that people didn't wanna try the Ruu but I think some wanna stay stock. I have two hoxs one stock and one unlocked bootloader

bigern79

Mar 23, 2007
Bothell, WA
No problems

I downloaded, installed, rebooted with no problems. Haven't noticed anything different yet, but I suppose time will tell.

I'm one of the HOX owners who has been having issues with text message notifications. Anyone know if 1.85 fixes that?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm running 1.85 RUU and checked for updates and got 'no updates available"

In other news, the sun is reported to be hot.
    Thanks... That's helpful. Maybe I do need to be on Android Central instead of XDA... As suggested by some of the "advanced users" on here...since I don't seem to be welcome here for making a simple request for a changelog on an OTA update thread.

Yikes.

I wouldn't sweat it...the only "advanced users" on here are devs as far as I'm concerned. Some people who live on here equate high post counts to knowledge...hardly the case. I have seen some serious misinformation regurgitated from some of the same "advanced users" on a frequent basis. You can always choose to ignore these people.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    easy man... It was only my intention to say that the advanced users would have known the changes in the 1.85xxxxx software release for weeks now... and could be helpful enough to the rest of us to share it if they did. If you are not interested in helping people who like to stick with the stock software... fine, but don't get mean about it.

You're welcome to go read the 1.85 RUU thread any findings have been reported there.
    The way to become an "advanced user" is to read up on stuff for yourself. Put away the spoon and go forage for yourself.
    36gwuc.jpg
    Not sure on 100% but if your getting the oat most likely it'll be ok but you may loose root

That's horrible advice, and you have no basis for making such a statement. Just becuase you are notified of the OTA, and it even downloads, is no bearing on whether its safe to install on a rooted device. Until somebody does it, you have no idea what happens.

On my HTC Flyer, accepting the OTA on a rooted device would send the device into a bootloop.

OTA Rootkeeper may work to hide and keep root. But again, no way of knowing if its going to work until somebody tries it.

Also, in case its not perfectly clear: If you do not have SuperCID, do not install this OTA if you want root. 1.85 kills the One-click root method, and the only other root method required unlocked bootloader (which requires SuperCID). If you install this without SuperCID, you are going to be stuck without root until a root method for 1.85 is found.