[NEW] PIM Backup v2.8 [NEW]

Search This thread

aYuki

Dec 29, 2011
Hi tsalta,
I could help you and re-backup your contacts. I just sent you a PM.

Edit:
Somehow it seems, that's not possible to send you PM's.
Although I sent the message twice, it's not shown in my PM outbox.
Give me a hint how I can contact you, because I don't want to post my eMail address in public.

Last edited:

Mister B

Sep 14, 2006
Ratchada (Bangkok)
Hello i have need from someone who want to make me a favor and help me.

Im ex Blackstone user and i move to Android.

I did some updates etc and i lost all my contacts from the SIM card and everything.

THe good news is that i still have on my PC a PIMbackup.pib file but its made like binary one..

There is a chance to get my contacts back!!!

WHat i need is someone with WinMo device can do it for one minute.

Just to run Pimbackup on his own Device and to restore the Contacts from the .PIB file i will provide

After this is done just re Backup them again BUT in normal mode without binary etc

in this case the final .pib file will be able to transfer it to a zip .csv file and Put all the contacts back in my SIM card via Gmail

So if somene want to help me will be really thankfull for that its emergency.

The other variant if someone do not want to use HIS device is to do the same procedure with a Windows Mobile Emulator but i don`t know how to work with this and make it to work on my desktop PC i already try several hours to set up everything but just not working

Thanks in advance

emulator is way to go, used it a lot for manipulating PIM formats ect, send me file or download link in PM & I will do it on emulator or my spare WM device.

pupakota

Sep 29, 2009
....pib is JUST rar.
after unpacking, ALL YOU NEED is...total commander + its lister + unicode VIEW.
then you have some copy-paste work, thats ALL.
notice then, that ppcpimbackup would be ULTIMATE tool if only it had rar encryption built-in to protect our DATA.

thank you.

Last edited:

Mano75

Mar 4, 2009
Barcelona
Again, the same old issues...

Hi everybody.

I recently flashed my HD2 with a new ROM (WM 6.5.X), hence, I previously backed up all my info with Pim Backup 2.8

Then it came the moment I wanted to restore my messages (SMS), just the messages because I'm also using Outlook 2007 and I have all my agenda and contacts there.

Ok, I restore them and I have all my messages back to my device. Everybody who sent me an SMS is properly tagged (John Doe, David, Claire, etc) but If I go to my contacts profile, there's no SMS from anybody, somehow they're not associated. :confused:

Has anybody had the same or similar issues?
Thank you!

Cheque

Sep 15, 2009
BUG in 2.8.5

Dear Dotfred,

I encountered a major layout bug in the new version.

2.8.5 : on restore-mode, there are no checkboxes nor radiobuttons, like shown in my screenshots.
bug1.jpg
bug2.jpg
bug3.jpg

2.8.0: I tried to restore the same backup-file with the previous version, checkboxes are there.
nobug1.jpg

my device: Htc HD mini (HVGA), WinMo 6.5.3 , custom ROM

Did anyone else experience this?

Attachments

• bug1.jpg
    bug1.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 92
  • bug2.jpg
    bug2.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 71
  • bug3.jpg
    bug3.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 75
  • nobug1.jpg
    nobug1.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

pupakota

Sep 29, 2009
nope, but i experienced nonexistent TICKS IN checkboxes(i mean i can tick things, but i cannot see them ticked), which is wm 6.5 bug, someone even had solution, but i lost it(sth with adding position to wm res with reshack, etc)..
it is not occuring in ANY of 6.1 roms i made, and with EVERY 6.5, and 6.5.x i tried.

Last edited:

kainppc6700

Apr 24, 2010
SMS BACKUP AND RESTORE Reply

Hey there all, it's 2 Bunny again.

A lot of you may remember the Diamond repair disaster of October 2011, when I managed to break the screen while attempting a repair. At this point, it just wasn't worth it to fix, and I ended up getting a Samsung Epic on a whim. It's a decent device (with a custom ROM, that is ;)), and ended up working out better for what I planned to use it for than I would've thought, but I still haven't completed the "migration" process completely. I have managed to sync my contacts and tasks and calendars (kind of) with various (lousy) sync "soulutions" for Android, but one thing I have not yet managed to move to the Epic yet would be my messages. I knew I had an older (but very much working) backup of my SMSes from one of my favorite Windows Mobile programs called PIM Backup. After a little reading, I found you could rename that ".PIB" file into a ".ZIP", which ended up working just fine. I was able to find a file inside with my messages backed up called "msgs_[date].PBM".

The question now would be, how can I get that msgs_xyz.PBM file migrated into Android? I have a program on Android called "SMS backup and restore" which takes XML files, so I was wondering if maybe there was software that could organize and convert PBM files into the XML files that "SMS Backup and Restore" is hungry for to help me get my old messages back.

Thanks.

- 2B

Cheque

Sep 15, 2009
2B:
you can try to open the msg-file with a text editor.
  • case 1: the file was not saved in plain text but in binary mode (which is of course the faster way to backup).
    • solution 1: then you would have to investigate how WinMo saves their files, and work out an application that converts the binary file to plain text. [EDDIT/ADD] since dotfreds PimBackup is able to do the same on your device, maybe he could give some help here
    • solution 2: restore your old pim file to a windows mobile phone, and then backup again, with unselected "binary backup" checkbox.[EDIT/ADD] to receive the plain text file
    • move on with case 2
  • case 2: you can open it successfully in a text editor and you can actually read all the messages.
    • solution 1: write an app / batch / whatever-you-are-able-to-work-with to make an xml patterned file.
    • solution 2: look for an application that can do that

Last edited:

kainppc6700

Apr 24, 2010
SMS IMPORT AND EXPORT Reply

2B:
you can try to open the msg-file with a text editor.
  • case 1: the file was not saved in plain text but in binary mode (which is of course the faster way to backup).
    • solution 1: then you would have to investigate how WinMo saves their files, and work out an application that converts the binary file to plain text. [EDDIT/ADD] since dotfreds PimBackup is able to do the same on your device, maybe he could give some help here
    • solution 2: restore your old pim file to a windows mobile phone, and then backup again, with unselected "binary backup" checkbox.[EDIT/ADD] to receive the plain text file
    • move on with case 2
  • case 2: you can open it successfully in a text editor and you can actually read all the messages.
    • solution 1: write an app / batch / whatever-you-are-able-to-work-with to make an xml patterned file.
    • solution 2: look for an application that can do that

Thanks. My experiment led me to finding that all my messages were actually in plain text when I opened that file in notepad, although I discovered that between every single letter was a space, and between every word were three spaces, and they didn't appear to be in any kind of organization whatsoever. Just to make sure, I checked the XML files that "SMS backup and restore" in Android had created for my more current messages, and it looked quite different (and very organized).

I'm guessing that with this I'll need to do "solution 2". I've never built a program or batch before, and I'm not sure if anyone has really made one. Maybe this is a long shot here, but are there any other Windows Mobile SMS export software? I have access to a spare Windows Mobile device for experimenting with that if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks.

- 2B

PSUpdate: I did a bit more reading, and someone had actually created a program to do just what I'm looking for, described in this blog post. Unfortunately, I get the infamous "'python' is not recognized as an internal or external..." blah blah blah problem when I try to run it from the command prompt. Some further research led me to modifying the template in this program and exporting from there. I will try this tomorrow, but I'm still curious what the community had to think.

Last edited:

Cheque

Sep 15, 2009
[...]
PSUpdate: I did a bit more reading, and someone had actually created a program to do just what I'm looking for, described in this blog post. Unfortunately, I get the infamous "'python' is not recognized as an internal or external..." blah blah blah problem when I try to run it from the command prompt.[...]
the blog seems to be a good solution, maybe you try to get python working on your machine.
cheers

pupakota

Sep 29, 2009
although I discovered that between every single letter was a space, and between every word were three spaces, and they didn't appear to be in any kind of organization whatsoever
..unicode...
i told you.
open it in total commander(on pc), press f3 then choose menu, options, unicode.

Ramkal

Mar 16, 2012
Ahwaz
www.1.sajjad.ir
hello
I got a backup in windows mobile with PIM Backup.
Now, How does I open my file (pib) in Android ?
Meanwhile, I'm not used of import Gmail , because was not possible
plz help me

Cheque

Sep 15, 2009
seems not to work on my HD mini (WM 6.5.3),
neither the 6.5.3 version nor 6.5 version.

it seems to load , but doesn't show up and the phone lags a lot.
Task manager shows it as a process, taking up to 90% of CPU usage.
:silly:

Last edited:

jb789

Nov 6, 2009
Mmm... desiccant
seems not to work on my HD mini (WM 6.5.3),
neither the 6.5.3 version nor 6.5 version.

it seems to load , but doesn't show up and the phone lags a lot.
Task manager shows it as a process, taking up to 90% of CPU usage.
:silly:
I have not tried the newer release, but maybe you've got to clear out everything from an older release 1st? Not sure if any prefs get written to the registry.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PIM Backup v2.8(Release date 20 Jan 2008)

- fix for keeping old files when value is 10 (schedule options)
    - fix for subfolders having same name as folders under root (messages restore)
    - fix for the delimiter selection when restoring contacts from csv file (contacts mapping fields)
    - fix for "add only new messages" when restoring binary backup (messages restore)

more infos on www.dotfred.net

TODO:

MMS Backup/restore doesn't work!

- fix problem with mms "attachments" which are stored on disk but are not considered as attachments in the cemail.vol (wonderful!)
    Arcsoft MMS software uses own-defined properties (blobs) in pmailMsgs table in cemail.vol but I cannot decipher them for the moment.

- conversion of text backups <-> binary backups

Version 2.7:

In 2.6, the backup/restore thread priority has been diminished so it took less resources during the task, and so other programs could continue to work properly. The problem is that a backup/restore task could take much more time to end. This has been changed by adding this feature as parameter, and so it can be changed manually by the user.

Version 2.6:

- fix bug in binary restore of contacts (birthday overwritten by anniversary)
    - fix bug in binary/text restore of appointments (status, reminder not correct)
    - fix bug in zip utility => unicode compliant
    - fix bug in restore of tasks (wm2003se only) for (partially) undated tasks
    - fix bug in restore of messages (only messages from an unknown account are discarded)
    - fix bug in csv contacts import (csv coming from another application)
    - fix bug in restore of speed dials (wm6 only)
    - added restore custom files individual selection

Version 2.5:

- fix bug in binary backup of appointments containing recipients
    - fix bug in binary/text custom files backup
    - added rename old file option in custom file restore

Version 2.4:

- fix a crash bug during restore of a text backup for messages having no
    subject
    - fix a bug in scheduled backup
    - add one instance only

Version 2.3:

- fix for notes in wm2k3
    - add more error messages in case of backup/restore failure

Version 2.2:

- fix for messages backup problem that causes wm2k3 pda's to soft-reset
    - fix for custom files not found in list in csx backup file

Version 2.1:

- fixed bug introduced in hex fields in text backup in v2.0
    - add a custom backup functionality for specific files, folders or file types.
    - changed some cosmetic things in the layouts
    - fixed some minor bugs
    - fixed bug in binary task binary backup

Version 2.0:

- added escape character in text, so the parsing of csv text works in all cases.

CAUTION, a bad parsing can still appear for backups made in earlier versions.

- added binary backups for fastness and reliability. (A tool will be provided in the future to allow to convert text backups to binary backups and vice-versa).

- schedule problem fixed.

- added UNC folders names for default folders (inbox, outbox, sent items, drafts, deleted items) in messages, so the restore could be done on a device having another language.

- fixed the problem of messages stored in folders at the same level as Inbox

- creation of temporary backup files can be either in memory or in the backup destination folder.

Version 1.9:

- fix bug in all day recurring appointments restore
    - fix bug in non recurring tasks restore
    - restore for "add only new..." option should go faster
    - remove empty files from \Windows\Messaging

Version 1.8:

- fix problem of lost records (csv parser has been redesigned)

ADVICE: In WM6 if you have to restore call logs, do it separately especially if you have a lot of them, because cprog.exe (phone application) will take all the cpu to rebuild the links between contacts and calls, so this is not good for the rest of the restore.

Version 1.7:

- fix for crashing bug during restore of contacts or messages

Version 1.6:

- Yomi included for contacts (not tested, need confirmation on this)
    - fix for call logs in WM6 (allynm)
    - fix appointments load (leo ramik)
    - fix problem for messages load (same as appts)
    - fix csv parser bug (last one, I hope)
    - fix problem with speeddials restore (WM6 only) (it is slow, but it works) (work around provided by dan1967 (thanks!))
    - fix for appts restore (_vint)

Version 1.5:

- fix toolbar bug (wm2003se only)
    - fix sms backup bug (wm2003se only) (carolos)
    - fix schedule bug (ebliss)
    - fix birthday bug in contacts (gambit999)
    - fix csv parser bug (exel07)

Version 1.4:

- fix a bug found in backup/restore of messages in WM2003SE (choas)
    - fix a bug concerning exclusions of folders in backup of messages (faria)

Version 1.3:

- fix a bug found in restore of call logs backup under WM6 (backup made on WM6 only) (faria)

Version 1.2:

- fix a bug found when handling unicode files with chinese character set (Sipher)

Version 1.1:

- fix a bug in CSV parser (borjok536)
    - added option verbose in main menu (allynm) (the status list is less updated without verbose)
    - added SystemIdleTimerReset to avoid that the pda is suspended during the backup/restore process

Description:

This tool has been made in order to replace the PPCBckpContacts application.
    As its predecessor, PPCPimBackup allows to backup/restore the Personal information of the pocket pc user, but new functionalities have been added.

This tool allows to backup/restore:

- appointments
    - call logs
    - contacts
    - messages (SMS, Mails, ...) NEW !!! :D
    - speed dials
    - tasks

Restore contacts:

It is possible now to restore a text file containing contacts backed up from other applications, like in Outlook Express, the only constraint is that the first line should contain the fields and the fields need a separator. (See screenshots). The tool allows to map default fields to fields found in the file. It is possible now to insert duplicates.

Backup messages:

The mail database is completely parsed to retrieve all the messages stored in every directory and subdirectory. It is possible to select which account and directories should be backed up. You can save attachments as wel if they exist on the pocket pc.

Restore messages:

Same as the backup, you can select which account and directories should be restored to the device. Caution, if an account doesn't exist on the pocket pc, this application will discard the messages that belong to that account.

Restore appointments:

There was a bug in PPCBckpContacts where appointments with the same name on different dates weren't restored. This should be fixed in this tool.

Schedule backup:

It is possible to schedule a backup, each day of the week and this at a specific hour. If the pocket pc is suspended, it will wake up and do the backup. You can eventually control the number of backups to keep and switch off the pocket pc after the scheduled backup is finished.
    The schedule backup creates a notification that can be cleared via the Options Menu.

File types:

There is only one file type now, which is .pib (Personal Information Backup), in fact it is just a zip file (so you can open it with a zip application) which contain the different text files used in PPCBckpContacts, so you can still extract these files, edit them on a pc using Excel or Notepad and eventually restore them without putting them back in the .pib file.

This is the first release, it has been tested on WM4.2, WM5 and WM6.

Comments, bugs, suggestions are welcome.

Yours sincerly,

.Fred

Screenshots:

ppcpimbackup.gif

Use notice:

The exe contained in the zip file, should be copied and launched on the pocket pc, and not on a pc.
    If you have any comments, bugs report, suggestions, problems, then you could send them to this address [email protected], I will carefully consider them.
    new update V2.8.5

Version 2.8.5:

- fix issue with list view using custom states
    - warning popup message in case encryption mechanism is active on sdcard
    - error popup message in case the backup failed
    - fix issue of exceptions in appointments
    new version available
    at PIM Backup Website
    new version available (3.5)
    at PIM Backup Website
    use 2.5 with Tytn II

I am unable to go any further after when I select the options. "NEXT" is not selectable!

Any help?