• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

General New Play System Update

Search This thread

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
any noticeable changes? I'm asked to reboot... but I rather not until the next system update
I don't notice any changes but often these are under-the-hood changes that you may not notice (e.g. most are security updates to the Mainline modules, etc.). And just so you are aware, these usually don't update every month so it "may" be a couple months before it updates again, so it may be a while before you can reboot if you are waiting until the next update to reboot.

Is there a reason you are hesitant to reboot?

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I don't notice any changes but often these are under-the-hood changes that you may not notice (e.g. most are security updates to the Mainline modules, etc.). And just so you are aware, these usually don't update every month so it "may" be a couple months before it updates again, so it may be a while before you can reboot if you are waiting until the next update to reboot.

I'm guessing they're meaning until the next regular OTA (i.e. December), due out - whenever soon.

MacGuy2006

Sep 15, 2006
I've had none of these issues
Well, perhaps you don't view your photos on a large screen?

Or you don't try and take photos or videos at a medium distance by selecting 4x only to find later that the image or video is unusable on a large screen?

Or you sit on Wifi all day and don't notice 5G issues?

Different people, different needs. Maybe you came from a Pixel 3, in which case yeah, the P6P would seem like sooo much better.

You do realize that Google Play system update (Settings > About phone > Android version > Google Play system update) is different from the monthly security patch (Settings > System > System update), right?
Thanks for this! I in fact did not realize it. Downloaded the Play System update after seeing your post, it had not auto-downloaded or thrown a notification for me. The security update was installed automatically.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Well, perhaps you don't view your photos on a large screen?

Or you don't try and take photos or videos at a medium distance by selecting 4x only to find later that the image or video is unusable on a large screen?

Or you sit on Wifi all day and don't notice 5G issues?

Different people, different needs. Maybe you came from a Pixel 3, in which case yeah, the P6P would seem like sooo much better.
I hope you don't take my response as an argument, but @prohibido_por_la_ley didn't say that no one has these issues. They only said they don't. I don't have these issues either. I've regularly looked at my photos on my 65-inch 4K TV. That doesn't mean that I think people who do have these issues are lying.

MacGuy2006

Sep 15, 2006
I hope you don't take my response as an argument, but @prohibido_por_la_ley didn't say that no one has these issues. They only said they don't. I don't have these issues either. I've regularly looked at my photos on my 65-inch 4K TV. That doesn't mean that I think people who do have these issues are lying.
No, not at all. But I don't think it's a hardware matter, it's more likely due to people's expectations.

The pics look mostly OK on a 4k TV unless you zoom in, but viewing at 100% on a large monitor is a bit different. And when the 4x lens is not used by the Pixel even though it's selected, the results are pretty poor and easily visible when compared to a proper 4x shot. It's especially true on 1080 video, which is downright unusable when the 4x is not used.

Then there is the overly-aggressive HDR which as others have pointed out is probably a legacy from the older Pixels and will hopefully be toned down by Google, and the "golden" white balance push will be reduced.

I guess we'll see what the first major update in December brings.

dimm0k

Jan 25, 2014
Google Pixel 4 XL

no real reason other than the Linux habit of keeping uptime!

redoregon

Mar 6, 2010
Lytle, TX
I thought the phone had rebooted yesterday but wasn't sure. This explains it.

I am on Nov 5.

But Google needs to fix bugs, not just security updates. Like the camera overprocessing, the screwy 4x zoom which is not used at times when chosen by the user, the sub-optimum battery, and the constant requests for PIN instead of FPS, or unlocking with a trusted device.
Some people are never, and will never be, happy. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

dimm0k

Jan 25, 2014
Google Pixel 4 XL
not sure if anyone else uses Bitwarden here, but after this update and am update to GBoard, Bitwarden no longer pops up in Chrome for me... anyone else?

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
kinda funny:: Play System Updates, Play Services Updates and System Updates. Make sure all 3 are Updated!

Didn't even know there are 3 options.
I believe Play Services is just another system app that automatically gets updated from the Play Store, so I wouldn't lump it in with the two types of updates you can manually or automatically receive updates through the available Android Settings options.

Note that if you manually look for it in the Play Store, you might have difficulty finding it, or it might be impossible via that method, as besides that Google probably normally hides it in the Play Store, there are all sorts of suspect apps that you definitely don't want claiming to provide Play Services updates, and there's a proper Google Play Services for AR and Google Carrier Services apps in the Play Store as well.

I can find Play Services with Activity Launcher but haven't been able to get any other information about it right now. I know I've seen it in the list of apps that have automatic updates before when I've manually looked, but I don't recall if I've specifically seen it updated on the P6P yet.

Alekos

I believe Play Services is just another system app that automatically gets updated from the Play Store, so I wouldn't lump it in with the two types of updates you can manually or automatically receive updates through the available Android Settings options.

Note that if you manually look for it in the Play Store, you might have difficulty finding it, or it might be impossible via that method, as besides that Google probably normally hides it in the Play Store, there are all sorts of suspect apps that you definitely don't want claiming to provide Play Services updates, and there's a proper Google Play Services for AR and Google Carrier Services apps in the Play Store as well.

I can find Play Services with Activity Launcher but haven't been able to get any other information about it right now. I know I've seen it in the list of apps that have automatic updates before when I've manually looked, but I don't recall if I've specifically seen it updated on the P6P yet.
I mean Play Services is totally important but you're right, not as important as the other 2.

Google Play Services (and other play services) can't easily be found in the play store. best way to find them is to search for them in Chrome using Google (they appear as apps) then they'll open in the play store. but you might get a few listed, for example searching Google Play Services update might find 2 or 3.

but you're right, so many suspect apps you gotta be careful. as long as when it opens in the Play store it says Google LLC - your ok. and if you do it a few times, the icons get familiar.

Last edited:

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P

If you are talking about Google Play Services, then yes, you are correct that it automatically updates in the background. The only time you will notice this is if you just happen to be looking at your phone at the exact time it is updating, otherwise you will never get a notification that it needs or has been updated. It's like the core app for all other Google things on your phone. Here is a link to it on Play Store... https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.gms

dimm0k

Jan 25, 2014
Google Pixel 4 XL
sometimes Bitwarden auto fill settings get turned off , check in Bitwardens settings that all 4 options are enabled.
I noticed earlier that only the top 2 options were enabled... don't recall if I ever had the bottom two enabled also. something is still off though, because after enabling all 4 options I do get the BitWarden prompt - except it only asks to Go to my vault even though BW is unlocked. with the USPS website, I know for certain in the past it would give me the option to autofill my credentials in addition to going to the vault. are you able to confirm on your end?

Alekos

I noticed earlier that only the top 2 options were enabled... don't recall if I ever had the bottom two enabled also. something is still off though, because after enabling all 4 options I do get the BitWarden prompt - except it only asks to Go to my vault even though BW is unlocked. with the USPS website, I know for certain in the past it would give me the option to autofill my credentials in addition to going to the vault. are you able to confirm on your end?

auto-fill only works on a few apps for me, and sometimes it's hit or miss. I don't use Chrome ( I use Brave) and it depends on the site and/or the phases of the moon if auto-fill does appear.

I'd check out Bitwardens reddit sub. tons of helpful people there. sorry I couldn't be more help.

Reactions: dimm0k

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just had a new Play System Update 55mb. I'm now on Nov 1 instead of the August 1 after the last update. 😁

Damn that's huge for a play system update. You have an unlocked device or carrier?
    Yes, I have the Unlocked (and rooted) 512 GB model, using on AT&T. Maybe it hadn't checked for any Play System updates since I rooted - since I waited to root (and disable verity and verification, and flash the stock firmware and wipe) until just a week and a half ago (I think).

I confirm it now says November 1. Thank goodness Settings has search and I'm also glad it remembers my last several searches in settings, even after a reboot.

You apparently ordered the supersize version at the drive-thru 🙃
    LOL!!!!
    When I manually checked for a Play System update just now, it told me my update was over 600 MB! :) Sorry, no screenshot.
    You apparently ordered the supersize version at the drive-thru 🙃
    I got that update yesterday. My phone rebooted after it downloaded. Did the reboot happen to anyone else.

I am on Nov 5.

But Google needs to fix bugs, not just security updates. Like the camera overprocessing, the screwy 4x zoom which is not used at times when chosen by the user, the sub-optimum battery, and the constant requests for PIN instead of FPS, or unlocking with a trusted device.

I am on Nov 5.

I've had none of these issues