New SD Card - How to migrate data from old one?

drp1

Jul 13, 2007
Ann Arbor
I'm using a2sd on Fresh 2.0d, and want to move to a new class6 microSD card. Can I simply copy the data from the fat32 partition of the old card to the new one?

What about the /ext partition - I don't know how to access this. How do I move it to the new card?

Also, do I need any special commands to dismount the old card or mount the new one once it's installed?

Thanks.

willy900wonka

Dec 14, 2009
Penguinville
Backup your apps or copy /system/sd/app, /system/sd/app-private, /system/sd/lost+found, /system/sd/xbin, if you have'm to some matching directories in the /sdcard fat32 partition.
Power down. Remove the old card. Insert the new , boot into recovery. Format the new card. Exit recovery to powerdown, or remove the battery.
Remove the new card.
Copy the contents of the fat32 from the old to the new, on a pc.
If you're linux based copy the ext2 or ext3 contents from one to the other.
Replace the new card and do a regular boot.

if you didn't copy the ext's then:
Copy the stuff from the matching directories (in the sdcard fat32 partition) into the directories in the ext2 or ext3 which should have been created for you at boot time.
If they were not created then create them. Move the stuff either from backup or from the matching directories which you created, into the appropriate new /system/sd ... directories-folders.

Reboot.
Your apps should be there. If they give symlink errors then reinstall by clicking on the apks from a file manager.

Here's another approach.
That's a pretty good point. Upgrading isn't a huge worry, it's just a matter of creating the partitions and copying the files over to the new card (from both partitions). Having a Linux machine available would make that process a whole lot simpler. You can get ext2/ext3 drivers for Windows, but I've had, shall we say, mixed results with that over the years... (Edit: Now that I think about it, just doing a nandroid + ext backup and restore should be fine, then all that's left is the fat32 partition, and you can just copy those files back and forth from your pc....)

Last edited:

Danokan

Feb 4, 2010
Hmmmm.. there is a MUCH easier way.

1. Do a "Nandroid +ext" back up.
2. Copy that back up to computer hd.
3. Power down phone
4. Insert new card
5. Partition correctly

6. You can do this next step a couple ways
a. USB toggle in recovery mode and copy nandroid to new sd card
b. Power down phone, insert new sd card with adapter into computer and copy nandroid

7. Power into recovery
8. Restore nandroid

9. Reboot

Occidentalist

Nov 16, 2011
Bloomfield
Hmmmm.. there is a MUCH easier way.

1. Do a "Nandroid +ext" back up.
2. Copy that back up to computer hd.
3. Power down phone
4. Insert new card
5. Partition correctly

6. You can do this next step a couple ways
a. USB toggle in recovery mode and copy nandroid to new sd card
b. Power down phone, insert new sd card with adapter into computer and copy nandroid

7. Power into recovery
8. Restore nandroid

9. Reboot
How do I do a Nandroid +ext backup? Runnng CWM 5.0.2.0 and there is no option for ext backup. The only option is backup.