New swype beta update

Search This thread

daveid

Jan 5, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Ya know it would have been really nice if Swype could have given new android owners a chance to sign up. I haven't had my Incredible for long.. first android I've owned. Really wanted to try Swype, so installed it.. and now I am getting that stupid expired message.. I didn't realize how much I really liked this way of typing!! now I feel lost... :(

I REALLY hope someone will upload the new beta version soon.. I'm already having withdrawal symptoms!!!:(

You are going to have to look in other forums which can't be mentioned here for a beta copy of Swype as distributing it is against the rules here, as per Swype Inc's request.

RellikZephyr

Mar 5, 2010
for anyone who wants to buy it from market - give ultra keyboard a try. it can type and swipe, and has a gazillion of options. i for one like it better than swype.
only downside is that it does not work with CoPilot...but that may very well be copilots fault.

I had a play with ultra keyboard, and I must say I'm impressed.

I'm lucky enough to have a beta account for swype, but I'm typing this from ultra keyboard trial. And I may buy it

To all the people without a working swype,I suggest you try it

RellikZephyr

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

fliint

Jan 24, 2010
Brooklyn
What I did to get the latest swype apk was go to google and search for swype 1.60, some forums give you links to download them

Sent from my Nexus One

Paul22000

Jan 19, 2008
WOW, yeah Ultra Keyboard is downright AMAZING.

Some of my favorite features so far:

• Tapping keys while swyping isn't annoying as HELL like it is on Swype.

• You can add a full dedicated number row on top of the normal keyboard. (4 arrows keys too if you want.)

• There's a toolbar with access to really helpful features such as...

• A FRICKEN VOICE KEY. My god finally. Never having access to a voice key without switching keyboards has been one of the most ridiculously frustrating things about Swype (and downright idiotic).

• TRUE Multitouch! Hold one key and pressing other keys works great! (Good for fast typers.)

• Custom dictionary access, unlike Swype which you can NEVER access or even SEE for that matter (very high on the WTF factor).

• Set key height (so you can make the entire keyboard taller or shorter).

• More suggestions than Swype (about 12) by pressing a down arrow to view all of them. (Shows 3-4 in a single line at first before pressing the down arrow.)

• Zoom in landscape mode. Hold down in the text field and it opens a magnifying glass that moves around so you can very easily position the cursor -- pretty amazing.

• Silly feature: Activate camera in the background (transparent screen). (For walking around I guess? Haha.)

• Double tap any word to bring the suggestions back up (rather than tapping the Swype button in Swype).

• Just tons and tons and tons of customization. It's crazy.

Some negatives:

• Swyping doesn't seem as accurate as Swype, especially when trying to do capitalizations.

• Bug: Capitalizations very often do not appear correctly in the word suggestion/replacement window. For example, in the word suggestion window it will have "this these thus" and you tap one and it actually comes out as "This" etc. Very annoying since you have to delete the entire word and re-type it in order to get the correct capitalization (or remove capitalization entirely).

• Can't swype question mark or period to space like in Swype so it's much slower (especially since you have to long press question mark).

• Doesn't vibrate on full word deletion (holding the backspace). This is useful for when deleting a lot of words at once quickly.

The trial is 100% fully unlocked for 24 hours. It's the real deal. I'm going to try it for the next day and see if it's worth the price. Though with all the amazing features that have been frustratingly missing in Swype, I'm definitely already hooked :)

Last edited:

bennettm89

Aug 10, 2010
My swype "trial version expired". Not really happy. Granted, it was an illegitimate version that I did not provide or receive via any user on xda. Using slide it keyboard now. It gets the job done as opposed to pecking which is a nightmare everytime I have to do it.

RellikZephyr

Mar 5, 2010
Thanks eabinsan, I'm hooked. I have now given up on swype beta, and I'm on ultra keyboard
I am nothing but impressed with this keyboard

Rellikzephyr

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

alyvols

Sep 2, 2010
Knoxville
WOW, yeah Ultra Keyboard is downright AMAZING.

The trial is 100% fully unlocked for 24 hours. It's the real deal. I'm going to try it for the next day and see if it's worth the price. Though with all the amazing features that have been frustratingly missing in Swype, I'm definitely already hooked :)

Ok.. I'll give it a go.. At least if I like it, I'll be able to purchase it and not worry about getting beta apk updates!

Thanks for the review..

eabinsan

Sep 24, 2009
Multi touch on ultra keyboard doesn't seem to work on my nexus.
i guess that's because the nexus is no real multi-touch device. and its limited dual touch is way to inaccurate to be of any use to a keyboard. it can't even get the button presses right in FIFA 10 (which only has 2 buttons on one side and a d-pad on the other side of the screen).
this might be the biggest flaw of this phone for me (despite battery life of course) .

osugsxr

Jun 9, 2010
installed the updated swype, one I registered for. Had a few issues where it wasnt working, reverted back to my old "hacked: swype didnt work. Reinstalled the registered version and its working now. If I just do a nandroid restore will I be able to use the "hacked" version?

adambenjamin

Jun 17, 2010
Los Angeles
If the version is higher than 1.56 it should work. There is 1.61 floating around, 1.71 and newly cracked 2.44. The 1.56 version won't work at all anymore, but maybe some one can correct me on that.

thepawn

Feb 15, 2010
NYC Metro
I'm in the official swype beta (have 2.4.44 on my phone), but I really miss the mic button... I was running a leaked one earlier with the mic button, can't they just put it into the beta already? It's been on the droid-x for a bit now.

daveid

Jan 5, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
What's the big deal about swype? I have the VLingo keyboard and it works great with voice.

For me, the big deal is that I can type almost as fast as on my computer, but on my phone. Also, they are many times where speaking to my phone is not an option. Swype just works, it is very accurate, much more than Ultra Keyboard, the little shortcuts are very useful.
For someone who is a touch typer Swype is very natural and easy to perfect.