• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

New to V60 from a G8

Search This thread

memnon79

Feb 17, 2013
LG V20
LG G Pad X 8.0
Hello all (and thanks in advance). I just upgraded from a G8 to a V60 and got some questions that I am hoping you all can help me with. I have the TMo variant with the latest update (A11)

- I have heard about fingerprint sensor can lead to battery drain. How would I notice if I have a problem and any workarounds? (So far battery hasn't shown an issue)

- Any good launchers for the dual screen?

- I noticed the auto brightness on it is too low. Any workarounds or fixes? It is the worst auto brightness I have seen.

- Any way to get the 2 button gesture on V60 (like was on G8)? I am not a fan of the new gesture setup

- Any covers for the outside of the dual screen? (I saw some posts with dead links)

- Best version of GCam to use?

- If using stock camera app, any suggestions for set up?

- Any other advice?

Mejilan

Oct 16, 2010
Welcome! I like this phone a lot, and am saddened that LG is pulling out of the mobile industry entirely.
I can't answer all of your questions, but I'll try to tackle some of them.

- I haven't heard of any battery drain due to the fingerprint sensor, and after owning this for almost 13 months, I can't say I've experienced anything of the sort. If it's there, it's so minimal as to be unnoticeable. I have slightly less battery life on Android 11 than I did with Android 10, but that's only because I had to tone down my aggressive de-bloating (which worked fine on Android 10, but causes soft-bricks on Android 11). I haven't had the time to troubleshoot, so I just kept the de-bloating to a minimum with Android 11 and deal with slightly shorter battery life. It's still more than long enough to suit my needs just fine.

- I haven't used my dual-screen in almost a year, but back then, there were no options for alternative launchers. I main Nova Prime, so while that was working fine for the phone itself, the dual-screen attachment was stuck using a version of LG's native Home launcher. Sucks, and it's one of a many reasons why I wound up stashing my dual-screen attachment in a box somewhere and stored it away. If you do use it, maybe check out the WideMode for LG app. I believe it was created for the G8, but when I last checked, it worked fine on the V60 dual-screen attachment and may increase your device's utility.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.refy.android.g8x.widemode

- I've noticed that on Android 11, the auto-brightness doesn't work nearly as well as it did on Android 10 (I've even factory reset multiple times). Sometimes I have to pull down the notification shade and toggle auto-brightness off and then right back on. Helps, but it's hardly a permanent fix. Seems to be a bug introduced with Android 11, and given the state of LG's future in mobile, I wouldn't bank on it being a priority fix.

- Not sure what you mean about the G8's navigation gestures (never used that phone). Their stock Android 11 gestures are MUCH better than the garbage they had for Android 10, IMO. That's the bright side. The crap part is that Android 11 nixed the part of the API that let third-party navigation gesture apps hide the Navigation Bar, and I don't think this is something that can be addressed without root now. I used to use the amazing Fluid Navigation Gestures app when I was still on Android 10, but had to ditch it for Android 11. So yeah, 11's gestures are better than 10's, but they're still a step down from FNG, IMO.

- I thought the dual-screen attachment was built into its own case-like accessory. You can replace this? I had no idea and have nothing to contribute here. Sorry.

- I'd kind of like to know about GCam too.

- And if GCam is not possible, I wouldn't mind guidance on the stock LG camera app, which is what I use (everything on default settings).

- Good luck, and I hope you enjoy the phone!

memnon79

Feb 17, 2013
LG V20
LG G Pad X 8.0
Welcome! I like this phone a lot, and am saddened that LG is pulling out of the mobile industry entirely.
I can't answer all of your questions, but I'll try to tackle some of them.

- I haven't heard of any battery drain due to the fingerprint sensor, and after owning this for almost 13 months, I can't say I've experienced anything of the sort. If it's there, it's so minimal as to be unnoticeable. I have slightly less battery life on Android 11 than I did with Android 10, but that's only because I had to tone down my aggressive de-bloating (which worked fine on Android 10, but causes soft-bricks on Android 11). I haven't had the time to troubleshoot, so I just kept the de-bloating to a minimum with Android 11 and deal with slightly shorter battery life. It's still more than long enough to suit my needs just fine.

Thanks for insights. Wondering what were you able to debloat and how?

Mejilan

Oct 16, 2010
There was an old thread from around when the phone first launched dedicated to de-bloating, but as I discovered, it's basically specific to Android 10, and trying to duplicate the process on Android 11 led to some soft-bricks (at least for me, with an American AT&T device running on the AT&T network).

It involved using ADB commands to manually "uninstall" a whole bunch of system packages. It was tedious, and having to factory reset when something goes wrong to try again with fewer packages is a bit of a pain in the butt. So I largely gave up on that process and just wound up using the recommendations included with this app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pdmdm.dmplay

That said, I noticed that a new thread popped up in March 2021 explaining the ADB method but providing a new list of packages (including T-Mobile- and AT&T-specific bloat) to remove. Going by the date the thread went up, I assume it's for Android 11, but I don't think they actually specify that. I have NOT yet tested this, so I can't vouch for it. But it seems promising, and it probably beats a thread that's nearly a year old and DID cause issues for me after the Android 11 update.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...bloatware-from-lg-v60-tmobile-or-att.4244333/

Reactions: possibilis

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There was an old thread from around when the phone first launched dedicated to de-bloating, but as I discovered, it's basically specific to Android 10, and trying to duplicate the process on Android 11 led to some soft-bricks (at least for me, with an American AT&T device running on the AT&T network).

It involved using ADB commands to manually "uninstall" a whole bunch of system packages. It was tedious, and having to factory reset when something goes wrong to try again with fewer packages is a bit of a pain in the butt. So I largely gave up on that process and just wound up using the recommendations included with this app:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pdmdm.dmplay

That said, I noticed that a new thread popped up in March 2021 explaining the ADB method but providing a new list of packages (including T-Mobile- and AT&T-specific bloat) to remove. Going by the date the thread went up, I assume it's for Android 11, but I don't think they actually specify that. I have NOT yet tested this, so I can't vouch for it. But it seems promising, and it probably beats a thread that's nearly a year old and DID cause issues for me after the Android 11 update.
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...bloatware-from-lg-v60-tmobile-or-att.4244333/